Super Retrocade Review

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
SavagePencil

Re: Super Retrocade Review

Postby SavagePencil » February 15th, 2018, 2:01 pm

I purchased one of these based on your review, and I am having a hard time believing we're playing on the same system. Critic, can you confirm if you're seeing any of these issues?

Besides having one controller that didn't work, I found the video skipping to be bad: the system couldn't even get through the intro to Image Fight without a struggle. Mystic Riders ran like a slideshow.

The audio was even worse: many of the Irem games had pops and drops, but Data East arcade games were atrocious. Here's a video of Heavy Barrel that I took: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i9DM-fw2dw

This was 100% reproducible.

Can you confirm if you are seeing this as well? Is it possible they did a second rev of the hardware?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 15th, 2018, 5:48 pm

Wow - I've had none of these problems! I even had my friends tried it out and they agreed.
There must be an issue with your HDMI cable or TV set??

SavagePencil

Postby SavagePencil » February 16th, 2018, 4:09 am

It’s only *some* games with the audio issues. I’ve tried a different HDMI cable and tried different ports on the TV.

Guess I’ll try it with a capture device to verify that it’s not the TV. Other people on Amazon reported similar issues, so it could be a hardware revision.

Mystic Riders runs smoothly for you?

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » February 16th, 2018, 6:36 am

SavagePencil wrote:It’s only *some* games with the audio issues. I’ve tried a different HDMI cable and tried different ports on the TV.

Guess I’ll try it with a capture device to verify that it’s not the TV. Other people on Amazon reported similar issues, so it could be a hardware revision.

Mystic Riders runs smoothly for you?

Thanks for posting these issues. I was just about to buy one...going to hold off for now. Good luck getting it squared away.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 16th, 2018, 4:01 pm

I would also strongly recommend changing the video format for each game to "original". This really compresses the screen area and makes the animation look a lot smoother.

SavagePencil

Postby SavagePencil » February 18th, 2018, 9:42 pm

I set them all on original, as the Heavy Barrel in the video shows. Yes, I set them for each game.

I suspect this is a hardware generational thing, given your and others’ experiences.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 18th, 2018, 10:09 pm

Savage,
What kind of HDTV are you using? I have a Samsung.
If you have a CRT TV available, you may want to try it to rule out the TV.
VGC

SavagePencil

Postby SavagePencil » February 18th, 2018, 10:13 pm

I’m traveling now but I’ll record more footage when I’m back on Wednesday. I have a ~2010-era LG. I got the same results running it through HDMI as on composite. I’ll try on my Sony PVM and thru a capture card to verify.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 19th, 2018, 1:00 am

Savage, isn't it possible that you just got a bad unit? Since the problem seems unusual, might be worth trying an exchange, just in case.

SavagePencil

Postby SavagePencil » February 19th, 2018, 3:05 am

Yeah, absolutely! Given that others had the same problem (as reported on Amazon), I suspect this is a hardware issue. The Critic is far too credulous to think he wouldn’t be seeing these flaws.

I’m going to close out all possibilities, though.

Return to “Review Feedback”