Nintendo Is Being a Little Too Quiet

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
BanjoPickles

Nintendo Is Being a Little Too Quiet

Postby BanjoPickles » February 24th, 2018, 1:07 am

So, they came out of the gate swinging, right? Granted, their first two big games were also on Wii U, but they also had a steady stream of great exclusives. There always seemed to be at least one big game right around the corner.

....and then it stopped.

Yes, we’re getting Yoshi and Kirby, and we’ll eventually see Metroid Prime 4, but what else? I’m honestly surprised that Nintendo has sat on their online plans for as long as they have. It’s actually somewhat frustrating that they have yet to outline their VC plans, especially since its one of the most anticipated features.

What do you guys think? Are we gearing up for a Direct, or do you think that Nintendo will remain tight-lipped up until E3?

Atarifever

Re: Nintendo Is Being a Little Too Quiet

Postby Atarifever » February 24th, 2018, 6:33 am

I don't think they're being quiet. I think, given their news feed and the online talk around it (much of which they must... encourage), I think they're pushing Nintendo Labo as their next "big" thing. Having put out Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, and some Twitch friendly fighters, I think they feel they've put enough "core" stuff on there to allow them a few months to do some silly Nintendo gimmick stuff to see if it works. Given that I have two kids who game and watch YTV, I have a feeling I'm going to be seeing a lot of Labo commercials in the near future. Not my cup of tea, but I think that's the little push they're going to allow themselves now that the system is doing well and they have some months before E3. I'd expect some bigger stuff (like some Metroid concept art and maybe a Smash Bros teaser or Melee remake) at E3.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 24th, 2018, 8:31 am

I dk. This has been Nintendo since the N64 era. Excellent triple-A first party games, followed by months and months of nothingness while fans wait for the next big thing. Can't expect an old dog to start doing new tricks.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » February 24th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Atarifever wrote:I don't think they're being quiet. I think, given their news feed and the online talk around it (much of which they must... encourage), I think they're pushing Nintendo Labo as their next "big" thing. Having put out Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, and some Twitch friendly fighters, I think they feel they've put enough "core" stuff on there to allow them a few months to do some silly Nintendo gimmick stuff to see if it works. Given that I have two kids who game and watch YTV, I have a feeling I'm going to be seeing a lot of Labo commercials in the near future. Not my cup of tea, but I think that's the little push they're going to allow themselves now that the system is doing well and they have some months before E3. I'd expect some bigger stuff (like some Metroid concept art and maybe a Smash Bros teaser or Melee remake) at E3.

You’re right! I don’t know how I forgot about Labo, since it’s near the top of most anticipated releases (my daughter is going to love this)! I guess that I’m more surprised by the fact that Nintendo has yet to unveil the specifics of their online plans. Apart from Labo, though, it doesn’t seem like they really have anything that would be considered top-tier. They are releasing Yoshi, Kirby, Mario Tennis, and DKC in the near future, but—-you know what? I think that I answered my own question. When I type it out, that’s actually not a bad lineup at all. Haha!

I just really hope that VC is in the cards, at some point! Ha!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 25th, 2018, 2:19 pm

I have to admit there are no Switch titles on the horizon that have me excited. I'd be psyched about the upcoming ports, except I was on board with Nintendo during the Wii U days, so it's all old to me.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » February 25th, 2018, 4:05 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I have to admit there are no Switch titles on the horizon that have me excited. I'd be psyched about the upcoming ports, except I was on board with Nintendo during the Wii U days, so it's all old to me.

Speaking of ports...I missed out on the Donkey Kong game (tropical freeze) so I am going to check that out. I am currently playing Bayonetta 2 but to be honest, it is not really grabbing my attention. Outside of the DK game I don't see anything on the horizon. Each week they release about a dozen indy games but it almost too much, I have no idea what to buy and when I look at reviews they all seem to be rather mediocre. I hope that this isn't Nintendo's long term strategy, they desperately need some 3rd party support.

Voor

Postby Voor » February 26th, 2018, 10:29 pm

Lol. I can’t help but chuckle. Everyone is always telling Nintendo what they should do.

I think they are doing alright for themselves. Lol.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 26th, 2018, 10:57 pm

My favorite are the critics who predicted the Switch would be a huge flop, and now they somehow feel qualified to advise Nintendo on how they should proceed.

Sut

Postby Sut » February 27th, 2018, 5:39 am

I’m still concerned we are going to hit N64/GameCube/Wii U style game droughts with the Switch and we end up back at square one, Nintendo do need the third parties to pick up some slack.

I know sales figures are promising but Nintendo consoles usually start well in sales but quickly bottom out with generally low attachment rates.

Will the Switch be different ? I’m not so sure - maybe ?

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » February 27th, 2018, 1:30 pm

What I find interesting is that Nintendo can release all these Wii U ports, and a lot of fans are ok with it, with some actually being excited to play games they’ve played before. I just find it amazing how we could go months without brand new titles for the switch, but if we get 3 or 4 ports that’s fine. Fans would say, “Nintendo is being smart, they realized not many people bought the Wii U, so they are porting its’ best games to the switch, I will support them and buy the game for the new system, even though I’ve already played it.” Whatever, I’m just thinking out loud.

I do wonder if this is somewhat of a drought, but I think they will come back with a strong e3. I see Kirby, Yoshi, and Mario tennis mentioned, and hopefully news on Metroid prime 4, but yeah I do think they should be doing more.

Return to “Modern Gaming”