My job sucks because...

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
ptdebate

Re: My job sucks because...

Postby ptdebate » February 26th, 2018, 1:40 pm

FusekiGames, thank you for sharing your story. I have worked in the service industry in one capacity or another since I was 15 years old and I can attest to everything you have written. I eventually got out of restaurants and moved to hotels. I have nothing but the utmost respect for chefs who put up with all the BS and stick with it. It's one of the hardest jobs (if not THE hardest).

FusekiGames

Postby FusekiGames » February 26th, 2018, 2:02 pm

ptdebate wrote:FusekiGames, thank you for sharing your story. I have worked in the service industry in one capacity or another since I was 15 years old and I can attest to everything you have written. I eventually got out of restaurants and moved to hotels. I have nothing but the utmost respect for chefs who put up with all the BS and stick with it. It's one of the hardest jobs (if not THE hardest).

The sad thing is, it doesn't have to be THAT hard! Steve Jobs was many things good and bad, but one thing he was brilliant at was the concept of SIMPLICITY and (at least during his time) putting great ideas and execution above profit. Keep things simple and do great things regardless of cost, and the profit will follow. If some of these owners and the staff that they bring in were to embrace those concepts, things wouldn't be that difficult. People who open restaurants should also have MONEY, which most don't, and expect their sales to cover the bills when they first open. It NEVER works that way, and none of them get it.

Luckily, the owners of the facility I work in now are all of the above and more. We're losing our asses right now (I work in a tourist town), but they're patient and willing to spend the money to do great things and ride out the slow time. It'll work out in the long run, and we're already getting some great results due to the hard work and focus on greatness. It's still very hard work, but worth it.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » February 28th, 2018, 11:03 am

My first job at the home office was as a customer relations call agent. That means it was my job to get yelled at eight hours a day, five days a week. To a severely introverted guy like me, that REALLY freaking sucked. But at least I came out of it with some good stories. In fact, this was one of my very first calls...

Me: "Thank you for calling [blah blah blah]. How can I help you?"

Him: (obviously a very old man) "I was driving my pickup truck and it broke down, so I had it brought to one of your auto centers. They told me the battery was dead and I needed a new one. I told them I've had this battery for sixty years, and I don't want to replace it, and told them just to fix the [bleep] thing. You know what I found when I got home? THEY STOLE MY TRUCK'S BATTERY AND PUT IN A NEW ONE, AND I WANT IT BACK!"

(This isn't my problem, I just have to forward the complaint to the store in question)

Me: "I'm sorry to hear that, sir, and I'd be happy to file your complain for you. Can you tell me what store this happened at?"

Him: "No."

Me: "You don't know which store you were at?"

Me: "That's fine. Do you at least know the city and state it was in?"

Me: "Uh, okay. Was it close to where you lived?"

Him: "Yes."

Me: "Perfect. I can look it up with your zip code. What is it?"

(ten second pause)

Me: "Sir, are you there?"

Him: "I DO NOT LIKE DONALD TRUMP!"

(He goes on a ten minute rant about politics)

Me: "Uh... okay then, sir. Can I have your zip code now?"

Him: "Boy, let me tell you..."

(He goes on another rant about him fighting in Vietnam and how nobody respects their elders anymore)

Me: "Sir, I'm trying to help you, but I can't help you unless you answer my question! Now what is your zip code?"

Him: "Boy, don't you go acting spoiled with me!"

Me: "Please just answer the question, sir."

Him: "Fine. [zip code]."

Me: "Perfect! You have two stores near there, one on [blank] and one on [blank]. Which one were you at?"

Him: "I don't know!"

His wife: (in the background) "I know where it was!"

Him: "Shut up, woman, I'm handling it!"

Me: "Okay, fine! I will send this off to... [picks one at random], and you will get a call back in three days. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

Him: "Yes! My friend bought a tv, but it's broken. I want you to give him a refund."

Me: "I'm sorry, sir, but I can't discuss another customer's money with you. He'll have to call himself."

Him: "He doesn't own a phone."

Me: "I'm sorry, but I still can't give someone else a refund for you."

Him: "You know what, boy? The Bible tells us that we are to love, and respect, and help our neighbors, and that is what I intend to do!"

Me: "That doesn't change anything, sir."

Him: "What did you say your name was?"

Me: "Adam, sir."

Him: "Do you know why you don't deserve that name?"

Me: *sigh* "Because you don't like me, sir?"

(pause)

Him: "You get me your supervisor right now, you hear?"

Me: "Noooo problem at all, sir! Please hold!"

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » February 28th, 2018, 11:30 am

DaHeckiz, your story made me laugh. I worked in a customer service call center years ago and can relate. Some people you just can’t please or they don’t even make sense.

Now I work for a safety management company the provides armed security and traffic direction for AT&T crews and another company that have to work on the roads.i luv it. I get to work outside, wear a gun and direct traffic and get paid quite well to do it. It’s fun. Mostly downtown Atlanta. The ONLY things that sucks about it is if it rains there usually is no work. I can work 5 days a week or 1 day a week. Mostly 4-5 though.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » February 28th, 2018, 3:47 pm

Herschie wrote:Financially, I estimate that I can make it through mid-April, and I'll have something by then.

Both statements turned out to be true, as I start my new position March 12th.

Voor

Postby Voor » March 1st, 2018, 7:21 am

Aside from my very first job pushing buggies (aka shopping carts) for 9 hours day in 100 degree temps, I’ve been very fortunate with my jobs. They’ve all had their stressful moments, but I’ve always had good coworkers and supervisors.

I don’t particularly love the job I have now, but it has more relaxing moments than stressful ones, I have lots of freedom, and my coworkers are great.*

*i actually believe WHO you work with has more to do with job satisfaction than the actual work you do.

SpaceGuitarist

Postby SpaceGuitarist » March 1st, 2018, 1:57 pm

I'm a freelance translator and work in a variety of fields, mostly music related but also videogames. The music audience has shrunk considerably in the last decade, while the gaming audience has quadrupled. My job sucks now because I have to compete with unprofessional and untrained translators who more often then not are willing to work for peanuts, if not for free (or for a copy of the game...). It also sucks because smaller companies rely a lot on automatic translations (Google Translate and other tools) in order to save money.

I recently tried to get a job with Netflix, although I never watch movies and I know nothing about subtitling. I had to do a test and eventually my final score was just 1 point away from the score required to get the job. That was a real disappointment, as I must have scored fairly well on the actual meat of the test (the language part) but scored miserably on the technical aspects of subtitles (timing, order, format etc), which I obviously couldn't have known. Bummer, that was a well paid job.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » March 1st, 2018, 4:32 pm

Herschie wrote:
Herschie wrote:Financially, I estimate that I can make it through mid-April, and I'll have something by then.

Both statements turned out to be true, as I start my new position March 12th.

Congrats! Told you things would brighten up around March 11th. :) Hope the new job treats you well.

Return to “Other Media”