Book Summary Help?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
DaHeckIzDat

Re: Book Summary Help?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » February 5th, 2018, 5:07 pm

Stalvern wrote:Lashing works both ways. It can be based either on direction or on specific objects. Both are used numerous times in the prologue and are differentiated.

The difference there is that when Szeth of Kaladin does it, they physically touch whatever they're lashing, feed stormlight into it, and then choose a specific direction for that thing to fall. Toke can't do that, everything he does is centered around him. True, he can move objects, but that's just another way to use his anchors. If he anchors himself to something heavier than him, he falls toward it. If it's lighter than him, it falls to him. Since he can change how hard gravity pulls on him, making himself lighter or heavier, he can even pull things that are technically heavier than he is. But the catch is that while Szeth and Kaladin can lash things anywhere, anything Toke pulls on will come straight toward him.

Besides that, Szeth and Kaladin's powers both have other aspects to them, like making like making an object pull on another object. Toke's one and only power is to alter his own personal field of gravity. Not only that, but he has to have a physical object less that fifty feet away from him to anchor himself to. He can't turn the world upside down and fall into the sky, he can't fall sideways and fly across the entire country, and he can't touch an object and have it shoot away from him. Yeah, the walking on walls part is similar to Szeth and Kaladin's basic lashings, but I feel like I'm still doing my own thing since I'm limiting Toke to that and none of the other fancy tricks Kaladin can do. Not to mention that there's about a dozen other types of power people can have in Stormlight, so Kaladin's aren't even given that much attention after their first introduction.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » February 5th, 2018, 7:56 pm

I still think that it's too close for comfort, but if you've given the matter due consideration and are already a whole book into this, I suppose that it's a moot point.

Thanks for the patient, level-headed discussion. I look forward to whatever you write next.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 1st, 2018, 9:00 pm

Hey guys, I just got the finished cover. What do you think?

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 1st, 2018, 10:50 pm

Nice illustration, although your name should probably be in white instead of black, since it's in a dark part of the image.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 2nd, 2018, 6:47 pm

Thanks. Problem is, there's some lighter colors in the water that would still make my name hard to see. Do you still think it'd be more visible if it was white, knowing that?

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 2nd, 2018, 8:13 pm

I think that raising it so it isn't touching that ripple in front of the boat would help a lot.

Voor

Postby Voor » March 4th, 2018, 4:17 pm

Lol. I think the OP and stalvern make a great team. Seriously, the opening blurb was soooo frustrating to try reading, much less to understand, but then when you relented a bit and used some of Stal’s suggestions, it was actually understandable and interesting!

I think every autho needs to be able to accept feedback without feeling that their art is being threatened. I think Stal has given you fantastic feedback (that works for the foreign reader), and it would be wise to consider them.

Return to “Other Media”