Nintendo Is Being a Little Too Quiet

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
BanjoPickles

Re: Nintendo Is Being a Little Too Quiet

Postby BanjoPickles » March 1st, 2018, 10:03 am

With all due respect, that mindset has never made any sense to me. Why not have both, or want both on your console? The Wii U, frankly, felt like an empty console without it. Where would the NES/SNES have been without third-party support? Sure, they would have still had Zelda, Metroid, Mario, and so forth, but they wouldn't have had Mega Man, or Castlevania, Final Fantasy, Contra, Bionic Commando, Dragon Quest, Street Fighter II, etc. Third parties ARE important, and part of what is somewhat aggrivating is that Wii U had top flight first party titles and still failed.

And I think that you're wrong, at least when it comes to Nintendo's current practices. They ARE doing more to cater to third parties now than they have in---well, perhaps in forever.

Voor

Postby Voor » March 1st, 2018, 1:39 pm

MAYbe you’re right, and it’s correct to assume that both is better than just first party. My point is that I don’t think the lack of third party is a dealbreaker for Nintendo consumers.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 1st, 2018, 8:50 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:With all due respect, that mindset has never made any sense to me. Why not have both, or want both on your console? The Wii U, frankly, felt like an empty console without it. Where would the NES/SNES have been without third-party support? Sure, they would have still had Zelda, Metroid, Mario, and so forth, but they wouldn't have had Mega Man, or Castlevania, Final Fantasy, Contra, Bionic Commando, Dragon Quest, Street Fighter II, etc. Third parties ARE important, and part of what is somewhat aggrivating is that Wii U had top flight first party titles and still failed.

And I think that you're wrong, at least when it comes to Nintendo's current practices. They ARE doing more to cater to third parties now than they have in---well, perhaps in forever.

A great example of third party being important was the Sega Dreamcast not having EA and EA later dropping Wii U only after 4 titles hurt both systems. Now for the Nintendo Switch almost a full year in for the system being out, both EA and Activision have been non-existent on the console which is rather unfortunate for two of the biggest third party companies in the market. And to make matters worse both of them where official Nintendo Switch 3rd party partners: http://i.imgur.com/GwvnVI9.png and have treated the Nintendo Switch like the Wii U! Other 3rd parties on the list such as 505 Games (big indie game publisher), Arc System Works (bringing BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle the first for the series on Nintendo sense the 3DS BlazBlue games), Bandai Namco (likely to bring Dragon Ball FighterZ in the future, and possibly to help out Metroid Prime 4 and a possible new Ridge Racer game), Bethesda (a company that used to do nothing on Nintendo is going all out with Skyrim and Doom and the soon to be released Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus and more to come), From Software (Dark Souls), Frozenbyte (Indie dev), Grasshopper (the new No More Heroes game), Hamster (Arcade Archives and NEO GEO Arcade Archives games), Intie Creates (Gunvolt and Blaster Master), Koei Tecmo (doing many games for the system), NIS (another company that was mostly non-existent on Nintendo is also going all out recently with many niche Japanese games for the system), Platinum Games (Bayonetta), Sega (Sonic and a big support), Square Enix (the most support from that company sense the SNES days back when many of the companies where separate Squaresoft, Enix, etc.), Starbreez Studios (Payday 2), Take-Two (the return of Rockstar games and NBA 2K and WWE), telltale, THQ Nordic (also now owns Koch Media/Deep Silver and THQ is big with Nintendo sense the NES days.) TTGames (Lego games and has done more then its parent WB Games), Ubisoft (Mario and Rabbids the most successful 3rd party game for the system.) And companies that have not done as much have potential to do more such as Atlus (Shin Megami Tensei V and a big Localization support for Japanese games and close Nintendo supporter), Capcom (Mega Man stuff this year, possible Ace Attorney games for the Switch), Konami (Super Bomberman R did well so that gives hope), Level 5, Marvelous, telltale, etc.

BanjoPickles your thoughts on EA and Activision ignoring the Nintendo Switch like the Wii U?

David

Postby David » March 2nd, 2018, 10:33 am

While I think third parties are important to add depth and staying power to Nintendo consoles, I don’t think they mean all that much for their console sales. They’re never going to be the go-to place for people interested in big third party games like Final Fantasy or Call of Duty - people are arleady established in the Playstation or Xbox ecosystem. Even if Nintendo had released a powerful, traditional console instead of the Switch, they wouldn’t have siphoned off Xbox and Sony players. The most important thing driving their sales is their hardware.

The Gamecube was their last “traditional” console and had decent third party support, despite a slightly unconventional controller, and only sold 20-ish million. The Wii had a really cool new control scheme and controllers, and sold off the back of Wii Sports. Third party games had very little to do with its success, as basically all their top selling games are first party. The Wii U had confusing messaging, and frankly pretty poor hardware, and sold 10-ish million. Its first party games weren’t really a problem, as I think all of its games that end up on the Switch will easily outpace the original sales because they’re on popular hardware. The Switch has great hardware, an appealing “gimmick,” and now it’s selling like crazy. Clearly having a great Zelda game at launch helped drive initial sales, but I think for Nintendo creating a trendy piece of hardware drives their software sales, and not the other way around.

Voor

Postby Voor » March 3rd, 2018, 6:25 am

David wrote:While I think third parties are important to add depth and staying power to Nintendo consoles, I don’t think they mean all that much for their console sales. They’re never going to be the go-to place for people interested in big third party games like Final Fantasy or Call of Duty - people are arleady established in the Playstation or Xbox ecosystem. Even if Nintendo had released a powerful, traditional console instead of the Switch, they wouldn’t have siphoned off Xbox and Sony players. The most important thing driving their sales is their hardware.

The Gamecube was their last “traditional” console and had decent third party support, despite a slightly unconventional controller, and only sold 20-ish million. The Wii had a really cool new control scheme and controllers, and sold off the back of Wii Sports. Third party games had very little to do with its success, as basically all their top selling games are first party. The Wii U had confusing messaging, and frankly pretty poor hardware, and sold 10-ish million. Its first party games weren’t really a problem, as I think all of its games that end up on the Switch will easily outpace the original sales because they’re on popular hardware. The Switch has great hardware, an appealing “gimmick,” and now it’s selling like crazy. Clearly having a great Zelda game at launch helped drive initial sales, but I think for Nintendo creating a trendy piece of hardware drives their software sales, and not the other way around.

Finally, someone with some sense! Lol. I free with everything said here.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 3rd, 2018, 1:37 pm

Update: It looks like Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is coming soon to the Nintendo Switch!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d49XnnLaF3s But is this real or fake?

Return to “Modern Gaming”