Rodea: The Sky Soldier (Wii)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Atarifever

Rodea: The Sky Soldier (Wii)

Postby Atarifever » March 2nd, 2018, 10:04 pm

So I got this game last weekend when I found it at EB in the city for $19.99 new. Given the price it will fetch in 2030 ($150+ would be my guess), that's a heck of a deal.

I mean, this is a game from the producer of Nights and Sonic, originally promoted in 2010 for the Wii, that was assumed cancelled multiple times, but not finally released until 2015 in a Wii U case, and included as a bonus disc in only the first run release of that Wii U version, of a Japanese game in 2015. The Wii U is already a fairly rare system, and a third party Japanese release from it into North America in 2015 is even more rare still. The included bonus Wii disc (complete with separate disc art, a reversible Wii cover, and separate-- though pointless-- manual) must be destined to be one of the rarest big budget games on one of the highest selling systems. This is like having an actual AAA Genesis game released only in the package with the first run of a Dreamcast game released in 2002.

The game itself feels a lot like Sonic Adventure and Nights. A lot like them. Right down to finicky controls and childish voice acting. The camera is difficult to get used to as well. The entire thing controls with just the Wiimote (no nunchuck), but allows for full 3D exploration of the environment, so it takes getting used to. Still, it is certainly its own thing, and it also shares that certain something a lot of Dreamcast Sega games have, where the sum is more than the finicky, silly parts that make it up.

Atariboy

Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier (Wii)

Postby Atariboy » March 3rd, 2018, 6:10 am

I believe I read that it didn't sell well enough for a second printing, so all copies should include the Wii bonus disc.

I bet you're right though. I see this one getting expensive in a few years.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » March 3rd, 2018, 8:13 am

Atariboy wrote:I believe I read that it didn't sell well enough for a second printing, so all copies should include the Wii bonus disc.

Even better. The Wii U version itself will be even more rare.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 3rd, 2018, 7:02 pm

You had me interested at "Nights", since that's in my personal top 10. I've never heard of Rodea before. I looked at it up just now, only to discovery that it got abysmal reviews... with a 47% aggregate score on Gamerankings. Pretty rare to see a game score that low across so many sites, so that doesn't bode well. What are your thoughts on the gameplay so far?

I may pick it up though, just for the novelty of having a link to Nights. And I agree with you that copies of this might have value some day.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » March 4th, 2018, 12:48 am

I bought this game the day it came out specifically because I believed it would become rare and valuable one day due to its obscurity (it came out on the same day as Fallout 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider, for crying out loud).

Sadly, the game itself isn't that great, though it's worth noting that the Wii version and the Wii U version are effectively two different games due to their sheer amount of gameplay differences. Surprisingly, the Wii version comes out on top and even looks superior due to having more vibrant colors. The Wii U version is simply a mediocre and forgettable title, but the Wii version could have been a genuine cult classic had it been more polished.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » March 6th, 2018, 9:18 pm

Retro STrife wrote:You had me interested at "Nights", since that's in my personal top 10. I've never heard of Rodea before. I looked at it up just now, only to discovery that it got abysmal reviews... with a 47% aggregate score on Gamerankings. Pretty rare to see a game score that low across so many sites, so that doesn't bode well. What are your thoughts on the gameplay so far?

As eneuman96 said, the Wii version comes out on top. It's not one of my favourite games or anything, but it's at least interesting in how it tries to use the Wiimote. It has a Dreamcast feel to it, and you can forgive it the odd control hiccup, because it really is trying to be something. My son asked to play the Wii U version and I helped him with it for awhile. I think the Wii U version is actively bad. I don't like anything they added, and how they could make the flying more complex than the Wiimote version, when they had 2 analog sticks to work with, is beyond me.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » March 7th, 2018, 3:32 pm

If you liked Nights, you'll like Rodea: The Sky Soldier. That is, as long you play in on the original Wii! Skip the Wii U and 3DS editions. I loved the atmosphere and thought the controls were good. I only wasn't able to beat the last boss, which kind of frustrated me.

Return to “Now Playing”