Good Computer?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
scotland

Re: Good Computer?

Postby scotland » February 18th, 2018, 7:44 am

Don't give up on recovering files. I had a Windows 10 crash a few months ago, and there are options to recover files. I have purged my memory of the details of that painful process, but I did get almost everything off on an external hardrive. Then I did a full system factory restore.

Good luck on file recovery.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » February 18th, 2018, 9:08 am

I tried again this morning and it let me log on just long enough to move all my important files to a flash drive. That means even if I have to dump this computer, at least I have everything I need off it.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » February 22nd, 2018, 10:45 am

Would doing a factory reset potentially help? It didn't do this at first, something happened to it over the four months I had it that made it start blue screening.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » February 22nd, 2018, 12:24 pm

If you got all your data off, it certainly wouldn’t hurt to try.

Honestly, I recommend against using any form of antivirus software. They jack with your system way too much.

I haven’t touched one since 2011 and even with heavy computing, I’ve never gotten a virus. Just browse smartly and don’t torrent except from trusted sources.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 30th, 2018, 8:44 pm

Well, I finally got through to someone at Cyberpower and shipped my PC off to them for repairs. I used UPS and insured it for $500. Is it bad that I kinda want it to get damaged in transit so I can just buy a new one?
Last edited by DaHeckIzDat on March 31st, 2018, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » March 31st, 2018, 2:00 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:Well, I finally got through to someone at Cyberpower and shipped my PC off to them for repairs. I used UPS and insured it for $500. Is it bad that I kinda it to get damaged in transit so I can just buy a new one?

Wouldn't that be nice!

In any event, I hope it turns out okay.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 31st, 2018, 4:03 pm

ptdebate wrote:If you got all your data off, it certainly wouldn’t hurt to try.

Turns out, it did lol. I tried to do the factory reset, and it blue screened me in the middle of it. After that, it would boot up straight into a blue screen error. That's when I decided to call Cyberpower again.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 31st, 2018, 4:29 pm

ptdebate wrote:Honestly, I recommend against using any form of antivirus software. They jack with your system way too much.

Norton's horrible, and Avast has turned into adware for itself, but I haven't had any trouble with AVG. Better safe than sorry.

Return to “Other Media”