2018/4/7: Nintendo Switch: Axiom Verge

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2018/4/7: Nintendo Switch: Axiom Verge

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 7th, 2018, 11:45 am

This would probably be an A+ on any other system.

Funny - I couldn't think of any icons that fit!

Be sure to buy the Multiverse Edition!

bengalhoel

Re: 2018/4/7: Nintendo Switch: Axiom Verge

Postby bengalhoel » April 7th, 2018, 12:19 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:This would probably be an A+ on any other system.

Funny - I couldn't think of any icons that fit!

Be sure to buy the Multiverse Edition!

I have the PS4 version and its one of my favorite games of all time. This is every bit as good as Super Metroid , which is my favorite game ever, but i have a soft spot for Samus.

Its funny how with all the new graphics and technology I still love these old school style games. I hope you review Crypt of the Necrodancer and/ or Celeste. I guarantee that these are right up your alley!

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » April 7th, 2018, 5:13 pm

This game has been on my Steam "wishlist" for almost 3 years now. The second it goes on sale again, I'm grabbing it. Great review!

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » April 7th, 2018, 5:21 pm

I might just get this on PS4

Voor

Postby Voor » April 7th, 2018, 5:31 pm

Super metroid is also my favorite game, and it helps that it is also one of the most popular games for speedrunning. So I think it’s awesome that AV has a “speedrun mode”. I hope that catches on.

Oddly enough, it reminds me a NES game made not long ago by a single person, that also has excellent music and metroidvania gameplay. I think the Critic would really like this one too.

https://youtu.be/zaK-RjiZedA

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 7th, 2018, 10:46 pm

Nice. I have the Multiverse version on PS4 and really looking forward to playing it now. I beat Super Metroid a few years ago, but never loved it. But one of my favorite games is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Do you think this game would appeal to Castlevania fans too, or is it truly just a Metroid clone?

This comment doesn't make much sense to me. If you think it's an A+, you should give it an A+! You seem to be implying that the Nintendo Switch is the Deliverer of A+ games, when really it's still just a 2-game system with a bunch of decent/mediocre games after that. Think long-term... I'm willing to bet that 5 years from now, Mario and Zelda will still be your only A+ games on the system. Sure, right now it'll look a little weird for you to already have three A+ games on the system - but who cares - I say go for it if this game is truly at that level.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » April 7th, 2018, 11:04 pm

I will add a few things for people that will soon be playing this game. First, there is SO MUCH to find and do in this game. I eventually had to look online a few times to figure out how to get somewhere, only to watch a video of a person showing how they got there, but with a whole mess of weapons I didn't even know existed. It immediately game me all these new things to do and find. And I am not normally the kind of player who sticks around after a game is essentially over to try to accomplish all that can be accomplished. Normally I'm anxious to move on to a different game. But I don't EVER want Axiom Verge to end, even though I beat the last boss weeks ago.

In my initial play through I SEVERELY underestimated the power and importance of the "address disrupt" gun. I considered it primarily as a way to get through "scrambled" walls and barriers, but wasn't interested in experimenting with it on enemies and surroundings. Later as I watched my 9 year old son playing thtough, he used it CONSTANTLY, and to great avail. Oftentimes it can change how enemies look and act, making them easier to kill, or allowing them to be used for more utilitarian purposes, like reaching a difficult ledge. There's a certain green enemy that is all over the screen in some rooms, and he discovered that if you scramble and kill the FIRST ONE, it destroys all the rest of them in that room. By minimizing the importance of that gun, I missed out on a ton of gun to be had.

Oh, and Dave, you're welcome. :)

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » April 8th, 2018, 5:37 am

Retro STrife wrote:Nice. I have the Multiverse version on PS4 and really looking forward to playing it now. I beat Super Metroid a few years ago, but never loved it. But one of my favorite games is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Do you think this game would appeal to Castlevania fans too, or is it truly just a Metroid clone?

This comment doesn't make much sense to me. If you think it's an A+, you should give it an A+! You seem to be implying that the Nintendo Switch is the Deliverer of A+ games, when really it's still just a 2-game system with a bunch of decent/mediocre games after that. Think long-term... I'm willing to bet that 5 years from now, Mario and Zelda will still be your only A+ games on the system. Sure, right now it'll look a little weird for you to already have three A+ games on the system - but who cares - I say go for it if this game is truly at that level.

Could not agree with you more but keep in mind that the VGC is extremely pro-Nintendo. The reality is that you have to take his grades on Nintendo games and knock them down a half or full letter grade. Mario Galaxy might be an A+ game (albeit and easy one) but Zelda? No flipping way....terrible ending, empty environment, no challenge, combat is a bore....etc, etc, etc.

That being said he has convinced me to buy this game but I got it digitally, I don't need all of that extra junk that comes with the physical copy.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » April 8th, 2018, 8:55 am

MSRP of the standard edition of Axiom Verge on the Switch is $29.99. MSRP of the Multiverse Edition is $39.99. Seems cheaper to me... ;)

I wish Badland Publishing would just announce that their physical Wii U release of Axiom Verge was cancelled. Months of no comments on the topic basically answers the question on their Facebook page, but I'd like to have the last glimmer of hope extinguished so I can in good conscious just buy the PS4 edition.

Felt good giving them a 1 star rating just now on Facebook.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 8th, 2018, 10:57 am

I you look up the Switch version of Axiom Verge on Amazon, it comes up with the standard edition by default for $49. If you click on the "Edition: Standard" button it gives you the option to select the Multiverse edition for $39. It does for me anyway.

As for the grade, I struggled with the Switch Joycon controls all the way thru, which kept the score to an A. When I tried with the pro controller (and a real directional pad) it was better, but how many people with a Switch own the $60 pro controller?

On the PS4/Xbox One you're going to have a functional d-pad by default, which should eliminate any control issues. That's why I'm assuming it would be an A+ (flawless) on those systems.

That said, I'd still rather own this game on a cartridge format, as it's destined to be an all-time classic.

Either way, you can look for this on my Top 50 Games of all Time the next time I update that list!

Return to “Review Feedback”