Framemeister Review

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
bluenote

Re: Framemeister Review

Postby bluenote » March 9th, 2018, 11:57 am

Herschie wrote:
bluenote wrote:I use the setting from this website:

http://www.firebrandx.com/framemeisterprofiles.html

There's profiles for almost every console, including Atari 2600. He even has a specific setting for the NES to eliminate the overscan for those games affected by it. Basically, you upload the profiles you want and save the profiles you want to your microSD card on your framemeister and load them whenever you use that specific console. They work great!

Yeah, I use those too, and many of them are useless. They're completely zoomed-in. I noticed the one for the Gamecube was ideal, but I wouldn't mind if I can make it look even better. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Have you checked your zoom settings on your tv? I'm not sure what else it could be, they look great for me.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » March 25th, 2018, 1:58 am

What a hunk of junk this thing is! The scanlines tend to be distracting as hell, and I notice very little difference in picture quality.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » March 25th, 2018, 10:43 am

Herschie wrote:What a hunk of junk this thing is! The scanlines tend to be distracting as hell, and I notice very little difference in picture quality.

I don't understand. Your first post was saying how much better everything looked. What happened since then?

I'm sure it's just your settings. Check out my life in gaming on YouTube, they have fpgreat videos on the framemeister that may help.

Also the shmups forum is full of framemeister experts that can help you out

Also you have to feed it rgb to notice a drastic difference. Using Av cables won't do much

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » March 26th, 2018, 4:11 am

Herschie wrote:What a hunk of junk this thing is! The scanlines tend to be distracting as hell, and I notice very little difference in picture quality.

Have you upgraded your cables? Judging by the earlier pictures, I'm thinking you didn't. Something like composite video from a Sega Genesis just isn't going to yield very good quality.

You need RGB cables, component cables, etc. Genesis and SuperNes for instance both support RGB (Except for the redesigned SNES) and the cables are cheap. And HD Retrovision offers component cables that take advantage of the native RGB signals with a built-in rgb to component converter.

And NES requires either an expensive modification that might not even be available today, or go all the way by buying a FPGA solution with HDMI out. The Retro USB AVS is a great HD NES system with zero input lag and high accuracy that can be bought today for a semi reasonable price (Sub $200).

Herschie

Postby Herschie » March 26th, 2018, 10:34 am

I dunno, I was just playing one day, and realized that I don't see much of an improvement. Is this Shmups forum safe for work? I'm guessing it is, but you never know.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » March 26th, 2018, 1:30 pm

Herschie wrote:I dunno, I was just playing one day, and realized that I don't see much of an improvement. Is this Shmups forum safe for work? I'm guessing it is, but you never know.

What kind of cables are you using? AV? RGB?

Herschie

Postby Herschie » March 26th, 2018, 11:03 pm

You know what? I didn't realize that my TV settings were wrong. I was on Operation Sports, and they had a thread on 4K settings. I tried those, and now everything looks so much better. I tried Wind Waker on the Gamecube, Ocarina of Time Master Quest on the N64, and A Link to the Past on SNES, and all of them looked great.

So thanks for encouraging me to stick with the Framemeister, because it was about to go on Ebay!

bluenote

Postby bluenote » March 27th, 2018, 8:55 am

Herschie wrote:You know what? I didn't realize that my TV settings were wrong. I was on Operation Sports, and they had a thread on 4K settings. I tried those, and now everything looks so much better. I tried Wind Waker on the Gamecube, Ocarina of Time Master Quest on the N64, and A Link to the Past on SNES, and all of them looked great.

So thanks for encouraging me to stick with the Framemeister, because it was about to go on Ebay!

Good to hear!!

Rev

Postby Rev » April 8th, 2018, 1:03 pm

So I got a Framemeister as well... Holy crap do you need a lot of plugs to get moving... As I started digging into this the more I have realized I had no idea what true RGB was... I seriously thought it was the same thing as composite video. Now I'm learning about SCART cables, that my SNES has bad picture quality, my Dreamcast is a pain in the butt to connect, and more. This is going to be a long process to get most of my consoles connected to my HDTV. I think I'm going to start with getting the majority of the cables, getting everything I need for my component cable consoles, and then slowly switching out my other consoles so they can play on the darn things. Also looking for switcher boxes that work well. Already have several in mind but who knows how long that will take.

Still, I'm excited to try this out... I should have the D-Terminal to component adapter in the next couple days meaning I can at least test out those consoles and see how they look.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » April 8th, 2018, 11:56 pm

Rev, you may want to hold off on the Dreamcast for a while. The XRGB Mini doesn't have a VGA input and some Dreamcast games don't work through it anyways.

HD Retrovision, the makers of several popular component cables for classic systems like the Genesis and Super Nintendo, is developing a Sega Dreamcast component cable.

https://www.hdretrovision.com/development/

You'll be able to plug this into your XRGB Mini directly through your d-terminal to component adapter, enjoy the picture quality benefits of the system's 480p video output, and you won't have to change cables occasionally for certain games.

If a game doesn't support 480p, all you do is flip a switch on the cable to move to 240p/480i mode on these cables rather than revert to something like composite cables like you had to with VGA. So you'll get 480p, superior picture quality across all resolutions, and you won't have the annoyance of occasional cable swapping.

Return to “Classic Gaming”