2018/4/7: Nintendo Switch: Axiom Verge

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Paul Campbell

Re: 2018/4/7: Nintendo Switch: Axiom Verge

Postby Paul Campbell » April 8th, 2018, 11:06 am

newmodelarmy wrote:
Retro STrife wrote:Nice. I have the Multiverse version on PS4 and really looking forward to playing it now. I beat Super Metroid a few years ago, but never loved it. But one of my favorite games is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Do you think this game would appeal to Castlevania fans too, or is it truly just a Metroid clone?

VideoGameCritic wrote:This would probably be an A+ on any other system.

This comment doesn't make much sense to me. If you think it's an A+, you should give it an A+! You seem to be implying that the Nintendo Switch is the Deliverer of A+ games, when really it's still just a 2-game system with a bunch of decent/mediocre games after that. Think long-term... I'm willing to bet that 5 years from now, Mario and Zelda will still be your only A+ games on the system. Sure, right now it'll look a little weird for you to already have three A+ games on the system - but who cares - I say go for it if this game is truly at that level.

Could not agree with you more but keep in mind that the VGC is extremely pro-Nintendo. The reality is that you have to take his grades on Nintendo games and knock them down a half or full letter grade. Mario Galaxy might be an A+ game (albeit and easy one) but Zelda? No flipping way....terrible ending, empty environment, no challenge, combat is a bore....etc, etc, etc.

That being said he has convinced me to buy this game but I got it digitally, I don't need all of that extra junk that comes with the physical copy.

First of all, the reason the game got a lower score on the Switch is because of the way its standard controllers detract from game play, which I absolutely agree with. I constantly, and I mean probably every couple minutes, was accidentally changing my weapon by touching the too-close right stick, and the lack of a directional pad on the left forced me to use the four buttons, which are NOT a substitute, and using the analog stick is almost impossible, especially once you gain abilities that involve double-tapping in a single direction. That being said, I'm not sure I agree with reducing the games score, especially when the pro controller IS available...

Second, the only way a person would think the VGC is "pro-Nintendo" is if that person generally DOESN'T like many of the games that alot of us like, games that Nintendo is known for, and so they assume he must be biased. I count his generally favorable opinion of many of Nintendo's staple franchises as evidence that Nintendo makes alot of good games, and the VGC recognizes them when he sees them.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 8th, 2018, 11:33 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:As for the grade, I struggled with the Switch Joycon controls all the way thru, which kept the score to an A. When I tried with the pro controller (and a real directional pad) it was better, but how many people with a Switch own the $60 pro controller?

On the PS4/Xbox One you're going to have a functional d-pad by default, which should eliminate any control issues. That's why I'm assuming it would be an A+ (flawless) on those systems.

Ah ok, that makes sense then. I misunderstood. When you said "this would probably be an A+ on any other system", I implied that to mean that - based on your system specific grading scale - Axiom Verge was not at the A+ level on the Switch, but that it would be an A+ compared to PS4 or Xbox One games. If the score is based on the d-pad issue, then I think A is the way to go.

VideoGameCritic wrote:I you look up the Switch version of Axiom Verge on Amazon, it comes up with the standard edition by default for $49. If you click on the "Edition: Standard" button it gives you the option to select the Multiverse edition for $39. It does for me anyway.

I agree with the other commenters on this. $49 is not Amazon's price. It's the price of a third-party seller who is using Amazon Fulfillment Services to ship the game for them, and they are intentionally overpricing the game. Amazon itself does not have the standard edition available for sale, but if it did it would be $29.

VideoGameCritic wrote:That said, I'd still rather own this game on a cartridge format, as it's destined to be an all-time classic.

Either way, you can look for this on my Top 50 Games of all Time the next time I update that list!

I hope this encourages you to take a stronger look at indie games! With your old school gaming tastes, a lot of the games that you would like best are coming out of indie studios these days. Axiom Verge was fortunate to get a physical release, but most games like this are download-only. But they're really worth looking into.

Since you liked Axiom Verge, I highly recommend Shadow Complex, which came out around 2009 and was my favorite indie game ever. I call it a cross between Metroid and Uncharted. There was a remastered version released on current-gen consoles, and it even got a physical release through Limited Run Games. Check it out:
Attachments
shadow-complex-20090803111707500.jpg
shadow-complex-20090803111707500.jpg (33.22 KiB) Viewed 3935 times

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » April 8th, 2018, 3:52 pm

FYI, in case anyone is interested in this via Steam, the MultiVerse edition is actually quite a bit more expensive (29.97 versus 19.99), and the 'extras' are nothing more than a 'making of' documentary and the soundtrack. It doesn't sound like you get anything extra in relation to actual gameplay... not sure if that's the same as the Switch version.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » April 8th, 2018, 11:30 pm

Amazon US isn't one of the retailers that Badland Games even distributed to this to. The price you saw is because of what several of us told you about in an earlier thread when you complained about it. It's not Amazon's price you saw since Amazon never even carried it. What you saw was a 3rd party seller's price.

MSRP across the board is $10 cheaper for the standard editions of Axiom Verge compared to the Multiverse edition, and the retail outlets that Badland Games distributes to have respected the MSRP. It's largely out of stock following the links at their website that they've published to help buyers locate this in the US, but GameStop still has it in stock for $29.99.

https://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-switc ... rge/151315

And Wal-Mart and Target, while out of stock, still have the correct price listed that showed what they were selling it for (Unlike Best Buy, which removed that when it went out of stock, although I'm sure it was within cents of $29.99).

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Axiom-Verge-NSW/56080853

https://www.target.com/p/axiom-verge-ni ... nk=sametab

Teej

Postby Teej » April 10th, 2018, 8:41 pm

The review sold me! I'll be picking up this game.

MooTheKow2

Postby MooTheKow2 » April 11th, 2018, 8:25 am

Here's a good reason to buy the more expensive edition: http://www.axiomverge.com/blog/the-indie-special-needs-dad . Game was made entirely by a single guy who is going through some pretty rough times.

Also - from another one of his posts it sounds like Badland Games is a pretty good publishing company - they are are apparently donating 75% of their profits from Axiom Verge to a fund to help cover some of his child's medical costs..

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » April 24th, 2018, 1:34 am

As a show of appreciation for Tom Happ in creating one of my all-time favorite games, I went and bought the physical "Multiverse Edition" of Axiom Verge, which also got me the making-of documentary, the soundtrack (which went in my car CD player the moment I left the store I bought it from), and a poster for my 8-year old, who is as obsessed with the game as he is with his usual favorite, Minecraft. I decided to use the opportunity to play the game through again in hard mode, which has proved to be a worthy challenge thus far. But it also made me want to come back and re-read Dave's review of the game. In my review of the review, and having just undertaken a new play through of the game, I think I need to take issue with Dave's decision not to give this game a perfect score. Not because I don't agree whole-heartedly with the review, but because of the universal praise he gives this deserving game, including the declaration that it is "one of the best games I've ever played, hands down". I agree with the lone "glaring flaw" he has with the game, but I don't think a single flaw should hold back one of the best games he has ever played from getting an A+, whether or not the flaw is a result of the console it is being played on, and not the game itself. What I'm saying is, the review speaks of an A+ game, easily. And a minor controller imperfection should not keep the game from getting a grade worthy of the review's praise.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » April 24th, 2018, 7:15 am

Paul Campbell wrote:As a show of appreciation for Tom Happ in creating one of my all-time favorite games, I went and bought the physical "Multiverse Edition" of Axiom Verge, which also got me the making-of documentary, the soundtrack (which went in my car CD player the moment I left the store I bought it from), and a poster for my 8-year old, who is as obsessed with the game as he is with his usual favorite, Minecraft. I decided to use the opportunity to play the game through again in hard mode, which has proved to be a worthy challenge thus far. But it also made me want to come back and re-read Dave's review of the game. In my review of the review, and having just undertaken a new play through of the game, I think I need to take issue with Dave's decision not to give this game a perfect score. Not because I don't agree whole-heartedly with the review, but because of the universal praise he gives this deserving game, including the declaration that it is "one of the best games I've ever played, hands down". I agree with the lone "glaring flaw" he has with the game, but I don't think a single flaw should hold back one of the best games he has ever played from getting an A+, whether or not the flaw is a result of the console it is being played on, and not the game itself. What I'm saying is, the review speaks of an A+ game, easily. And a minor controller imperfection should not keep the game from getting a grade worthy of the review's praise.

Very good read. I just finished the game and found it rather boring. It is a good game but is a complete rip-off of Super Metroid,Castlevania and Contra. I liked the choice of weapons but didn't really feel the need to utilize different weapons all that often. The ending boss battle was a complete let down as well. Overall I would give the game a solid "B". The thing I take exception with related to the VGC's review is that he doesn't bother to mention how much back tracking you must do which really slows the pace of the game down to a crawl at times. Not to mention the controls on the Switch which are just terrible (I need a pro controller). Glad you enjoyed it as much as you did.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 24th, 2018, 11:20 am

Paul Campbell wrote:I agree with the lone "glaring flaw" he has with the game, but I don't think a single flaw should hold back one of the best games he has ever played from getting an A+, whether or not the flaw is a result of the console it is being played on, and not the game itself. What I'm saying is, the review speaks of an A+ game, easily. And a minor controller imperfection should not keep the game from getting a grade worthy of the review's praise.

The reviews here always take the idiosyncrasies of specific ports into account. Axiom Verge may ideally be an A+ game (not that I've played it myself), but the Switch version is patently not ideal. Were the PS4 version reviewed, it would likely receive an A+ grade.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » April 25th, 2018, 11:04 am

Stalvern wrote:
Paul Campbell wrote:The reviews here always take the idiosyncrasies of specific ports into account. Axiom Verge may ideally be an A+ game (not that I've played it myself), but the Switch version is patently not ideal. Were the PS4 version reviewed, it would likely receive an A+ grade.

I know how the grades work and why he gave it the grade he did. What I'm saying is that a minor controller issue should not be enough to drag one of the greatest games he's ever played down a half-letter. I'm sure there are A+ rated games on the site, rare as they are, that he didn't give as much praise to, that still held their perfect score in spite of some lone flaw.

Return to “Review Feedback”