New Xbox One games to review?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

New Xbox One games to review?

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 9th, 2018, 7:05 pm

I noticed I haven't touched my Xbox One for a while. I was browsing around Amazon and found a few candidates.
Any advice would be welcome. As usual I'm looking for games that can be enjoyed offline.

Disney Rush - looks like it's trying to fill the void of split-screen games for the XB1

Super lucky's Tale - 3D platform exclusive

Monster Energy Supercross - biking game

Gravel - offroad racer

Kings Quest Collection - I was a big fan of these games way back in the day

Track Mania Turbo - last time I played this was on my Wii

Sonicx9

Re: New Xbox One games to review?

Postby Sonicx9 » April 9th, 2018, 7:28 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I noticed I haven't touched my Xbox One for a while. I was browsing around Amazon and found a few candidates.
Any advice would be welcome. As usual I'm looking for games that can be enjoyed offline.

Disney Rush - looks like it's trying to fill the void of split-screen games for the XB1

Super lucky's Tale - 3D platform exclusive

Monster Energy Supercross - biking game

Gravel - offroad racer

Kings Quest Collection - I was a big fan of these games way back in the day

Track Mania Turbo - last time I played this was on my Wii

My verdict.

Disney Rush is a remaster of the 2012 Kinect game Kinect Rush: A Disney-Pixar Adventure. With additional content and the ability to play without the Kinect controls. Also available is Disneyland Adventures with the same situation remaster of 2011 Kinect game under the name Kinect: Disneyland Adventures with the same case.

Super Lucky's Tale: Got mixed reviews: http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one ... uckys-tale, but because their is not many interesting exclusives are games this should serve you well.

Monster Energy Supercross is on PS4 and Switch, but the Switch port is notably gimped compared to the PS4 and Xbox One versions.: http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nin ... _videogame and http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/revi ... ame-review

Gravel on PS4

Kings Quest Collection on PS4 and Xbox 360 but the PS4 and Xbox One versions of the collection does not have everything on disc as only 4 of the 6 episodes are on the disc with info here.: https://www.amazon.com/Kings-Quest-Play ... DJ681&th=1

Track Mania Turbo on PS4.

I would only go for Super Lucky's Tale and or the Disney Xbox One exclusive games as the others are on PS4 and/or Switch if applied, so that is all I can say!

Steve

Postby Steve » April 10th, 2018, 10:05 pm

I've actually played 2 of these games (Disney Rush & Super Lucky's Tale). I'm not very good at reviews but from a strictly opinionated point of view, I can say I enjoyed Disney Rush quite a bit. I played the entire game to completion including multiple replays of many levels. It's definitely a kids game and for the most part, it's fairly easy and straightforward although I didn't enjoy the Nemo levels. I also enjoyed Super Lucky's Tale but to a lesser degree. However, it wasn't because the quality was poor, it is simply because I am terrible at games like this. I'm not sure why I torture myself. If I was better at games in this genre, I think I would rank it much higher. I've read complaints about the camera in this game but I didn't have any major problems with it during the short time I played. Having said that, I'd be very surprised if you will like either of them. I usually can't predict your grades but I'd be surprised if you gave anything higher than a C-.

I can't speak to the ability to play offline since I am always online but if it matters, I don't recall any significant updates when I installed them.

Even though only 2 of the 6 listed are exclusives, I'm surprised you didn't list Recore as a potential option. There is a definitive edition that is very reasonably priced (<$14) and while I only have the original, I seem to recall that the definitive edition addressed a lot of launch issues with a missing character and a lack of content. I enjoyed this game quite a bit but had the same problem as Super Lucky's Tale - not being very good. I'd actually be surprised if you didn't like this one.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 11th, 2018, 8:47 am

Would you consider Cuphead? The art style alone is a retro gamer's dream, and that made it a must-play game for me. The gameplay is pretty good too, but a bit too difficult for my tastes. The only problem is I think the game is download-only, with no physical release.

In terms of physical releases, check out Ori and the Blind Forest. I've never played it, but it's an Xbox One exclusive and it got excellent reviews (averaging 88 out of 100).

zetax

Postby zetax » April 11th, 2018, 4:47 pm

Track Mania Turbo isn't an exclusive, but it is a fun game. I've got it for the Xbone. Can probably pick it up for 30 bucks or less.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » April 11th, 2018, 7:50 pm

I second the Cuphead recommendation. Too hard for me, even on easy, but I loved the levels I could master.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » April 11th, 2018, 8:29 pm

Cuphead is one of my favorite games of all time after one playthrough. You absolutely have to get it even though it’s download only.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 11th, 2018, 9:20 pm

Great advice guys - you are a wealth of information!

I included Super Lucky's Tale in my latest Amazon order, but plan to get a few more of these in the coming weeks!

As for Cuphead, I'm holding out for the inevitable physical release (fingers crossed).

zetax

Postby zetax » April 11th, 2018, 10:06 pm

I've seen a 'physical release' of Cuphead at Best Buy. It appeared to be an empty box with download codes. Be careful...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 11th, 2018, 10:41 pm

Thanks for the warning Mark! That is the biggest sham going!

Return to “Modern Gaming”