2018/4/7: Nintendo Switch: Axiom Verge

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Stalvern

Re: 2018/4/7: Nintendo Switch: Axiom Verge

Postby Stalvern » April 25th, 2018, 2:42 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:I'm sure there are A+ rated games on the site, rare as they are, that he didn't give as much praise to, that still held their perfect score in spite of some lone flaw.

Hmm. You have a point.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » April 27th, 2018, 4:41 pm

It also seems like he’s knocking the game for a hardware problem. If the game gets an A+ with the pro controller I say it deserves an A+. Doom is pretty awful to play with the joycons but a lot of fun with a controller. I wouldn’t give it a C because the joycons are uncomfortable. I’d give it an A because the game is great when played with a good controller.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » May 22nd, 2019, 10:46 am

Got the game for PS4 recently off of Ebay (thought I was getting the Multiverse Edition, but it was one of an enormous lot of games and the seller must of just put a stock image up without realizing that he was selling the regular edition) and it's good. Feels like a B/B+ after 90 minutes (12% of the map), but it could see it getting a higher grade in the end. Love the dirty, granulated look of the ruins and the large bosses. Just picked up the weapon that corrupts/decorrupts and it seems like fun to mess around with. At this point I wouldn't put it in Hollow Knight's league - it's a very well-made indie variation of Super Metroid but it doesn't feel enough like its own thing quite yet. I can see how some people would prefer it to Hollow Knight, though - it certainly gets you into the action right away and has a real sense of urgency and it feels more classically "retro" than HK.

Retro STrife wrote:Since you liked Axiom Verge, I highly recommend Shadow Complex, which came out around 2009 and was my favorite indie game ever. I call it a cross between Metroid and Uncharted. There was a remastered version released on current-gen consoles, and it even got a physical release through Limited Run Games. Check it out:

Yes, PLEASE play Shadow Complex one day. It was the first XBLA game that made me realize the potential of the platform. Unfortunately the price of a physical copy on the PS4 (all other versions are digital) is on the expensive side - cheapest I see on Ebay is in the $55-60 range.

Voor

Postby Voor » February 28th, 2021, 9:16 am

Paul Campbell wrote:As a show of appreciation for Tom Happ in creating one of my all-time favorite games, I went and bought the physical "Multiverse Edition" of Axiom Verge, which also got me the making-of documentary, the soundtrack (which went in my car CD player the moment I left the store I bought it from), and a poster for my 8-year old, who is as obsessed with the game as he is with his usual favorite, Minecraft. I decided to use the opportunity to play the game through again in hard mode, which has proved to be a worthy challenge thus far. But it also made me want to come back and re-read Dave's review of the game. In my review of the review, and having just undertaken a new play through of the game, I think I need to take issue with Dave's decision not to give this game a perfect score. Not because I don't agree whole-heartedly with the review, but because of the universal praise he gives this deserving game, including the declaration that it is "one of the best games I've ever played, hands down". I agree with the lone "glaring flaw" he has with the game, but I don't think a single flaw should hold back one of the best games he has ever played from getting an A+, whether or not the flaw is a result of the console it is being played on, and not the game itself. What I'm saying is, the review speaks of an A+ game, easily. And a minor controller imperfection should not keep the game from getting a grade worthy of the review's praise.

I see the game has been updated with a Randomizer mode. I watch a lot of randomizers of super Metroid, so I’d like to try this one out. Thought a huge fan like yourself might enjoy that.

Return to “Review Feedback”