Model 2

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
jon

Model 2

Postby jon » April 29th, 2018, 4:20 pm

These are the best graphics ever. It was the absolute apex of colorful graphics and was part of what made arcades great in the last time arcades were popular. Apparently the technology was so advanced that it was designed by the United States military. I read that it took years for consoles to equal this, but I don't know when that happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MAOsCvyfoo

Stalvern

Re: Model 2

Postby Stalvern » April 29th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Wow, that brings back memories. I'd almost forgotten how cool arcade games were in the '90s - major flashbacks to Gunblade NY and Daytona USA. The graphics really are beautiful, obviously polygonal but incredibly clean and smooth at the same time; they're the peak of '90s stylization before overt realism took over in the next decade. Thanks for posting this thread.

jon wrote:I read that it took years for consoles to equal this, but I don't know when that happened.

There aren't any truly equivalent consoles to the Model 2. The fifth-generation systems aren't even close, and the Dreamcast blew right past it, ending up somewhere between the Model 3 and the NAOMI.

Sut

Postby Sut » April 30th, 2018, 3:32 pm

I’ve been listening to Retronauts podcast on Sega arcade games and they describe their games as ‘blue sky gaming’ meaning bright colours and eye catching graphics.

I think the Model 2 period hit this brilliantly, still great looking and stylised but before full ‘realism’ kicked in.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 30th, 2018, 8:57 pm

Why in the heck did Sega never release those waterski or waverunner games? They look amazing.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 30th, 2018, 10:19 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Why in the heck did Sega never release those waterski or waverunner games? They look amazing.

Never released?

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » May 2nd, 2018, 9:17 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Why in the heck did Sega never release those waterski or waverunner games? They look amazing.

Reminds me of Wave Race on the N64.

jon

Postby jon » May 3rd, 2018, 6:02 pm

Pilot Kids cracks me up. I can't believe there's a side scrolling shmup on the Model 2. That just sounds good. I remember to add arcades and computer games like FPSFP '95 when thinking about those days

jon

Postby jon » May 16th, 2022, 12:00 am

I was just reminiscing about the Model 2 so I've been watching youtube videos of it. And very interesting, I saw a comment saying that if the Model 2 had been a home system too instead of the Saturn that Sega could've competed that generation. And someone replied and said something like, the Saturn couldn't do 3d, only shmups.

It's a shame there was never a Model 2 home console. It could've costed something crazy like $5,000 and I'd buy it. I still think Virtua Fighter 2 for the Model 2 has the best graphics of all time.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » May 16th, 2022, 2:23 am

Star Wars Trilogy was a Model 2 game, no?

(EDIT: I did some reading and saw where SWT was a Model 3 game. But the Model 2 did have one of my favorite games of the era - Virtual-On - and it received a decent Saturn port, to boot! Very Interesting.)

I've heard rumors over the years that Sega considered a Saturn port of SWT, but the console was already pretty late in its lifecycle, and the hardware just couldn't handle the game well. But I always thought Sega blew it by not making a home version of the game in some capacity.

As Stalvern said, the Dreamcast was quite a bit more advanced than the Model 2 hardware, and even though I'm sure the DC could handle Star Wars Trilogy with ease, maybe Sega thought the game was too old to port?

A case of the Saturn's porridge being too cold, but the Dreamcast's being too hot, methinks.

I had forgotten all about that WaveRunner game. Wasn't there a Jet Ski arcade game, too? One where you stood up on a faux Jet Ski and grabbed the handles? I remember a downhill skiing arcade game for certain. I always thought they were made by Namco, but today I learned that Sega had versions, too. Not bad 8-)

Return to “Classic Gaming”