No quality control

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

No quality control

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 29th, 2018, 11:38 pm

I did a quick search on YouTube on bugs for MLB The Show 18 glitches, and I discovered many hilarious clips. Here's one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyArLdJ3ozM

I can understand glitches like this in cheap, low budget games, but MLB the show is a long-running series with a huge company (Sony) behind it. How could the quality be so low?

I think the standards for software in general has sunk very low with the advent of online connectivity. Everything is a "work in progress" and gamers are far too forgiving on bad software.

Even the wildly popular Fortnite is riddled with bugs, which people overlook mainly because the game is free.

Thoughts?

Sonicx9

Re: No quality control

Postby Sonicx9 » April 29th, 2018, 11:53 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I did a quick search on YouTube on bugs for MLB The Show 18 glitches, and I discovered many hilarious clips. Here's one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyArLdJ3ozM

I can understand glitches like this in cheap, low budget games, but MLB the show is a long-running series with a huge company (Sony) behind it. How could the quality be so low?

I think the standards for software in general has sunk very low with the advent of online connectivity. Everything is a "work in progress" and gamers are far too forgiving on bad software.

Even the wildly popular Fortnite is riddled with bugs, which people overlook mainly because the game is free.

Thoughts?

You are 100% correct it is a problem in general, and you are not alone as others have complained just like you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h2msgNsGig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ikLGsOF57g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMewd_Owt8Q

This last one is old from 2013, but has the same thing to say about today's games!

scotland

Postby scotland » April 30th, 2018, 9:29 am

Here's a theory to chew on - its all part of games as service, instead of games as product.

If a game (or a book, or anything really) is a product, its whole and complete and finished at some point. Sure, you can revise it, but that's a new 'revised' version of it. A bug in a finished product is a bad thing. Its a fly in your soup.

If a game is a service, then its part of ongoing interactions between the customer and the service provider. A bug is just part of the overall set of interactions. A bug is just an annoyance, like someone sneezing during a conversation. There is no final or revised version of the game, there is only the state of the game at a given point in time.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 30th, 2018, 11:13 am

scotland wrote:Here's a theory to chew on - its all part of games as service, instead of games as product.

If a game (or a book, or anything really) is a product, its whole and complete and finished at some point. Sure, you can revise it, but that's a new 'revised' version of it. A bug in a finished product is a bad thing. Its a fly in your soup.

If a game is a service, then its part of ongoing interactions between the customer and the service provider. A bug is just part of the overall set of interactions. A bug is just an annoyance, like someone sneezing during a conversation. There is no final or revised version of the game, there is only the state of the game at a given point in time.

Some of my videos link above mentiin about games as service being a issue as it does show critic is not alone!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 30th, 2018, 4:08 pm

Gaming as a service is probably the holy grail of the gaming industry. They can just toss out unfinished software and earn a steady stream of money off of it. As people become accustomed to this model they become more forgiving of the bugs, making it even easier to justify pushing out unfinished garbage.

This creates a race to the bottom much like we've seen in the mobile arena.

You can't have it both ways. You can sell bad software for cheap and good software for $60. But you can sell bad software for $60 like we're seeing with The Show 18. I don't think gamers will tolerate it for long. Sony has really tarnished its flagship sports franchise.

GTS

Postby GTS » April 30th, 2018, 5:39 pm

Critic, I think you have become so scorned about "online" that you are connecting dots that aren't there. We have had TV programming "as a service" (Netflix, Hulu, etc.), but the quality hasn't suffered. Have you seen Stranger Things? Modern games have bugs because they are complicated. Mario Odyssey is a wonderful game but it's the most bug-ridden Mario game ever. There are 717,000 videos on Youtube showing glitches in Odyssey. Even with Nintendo's rigorous quality control, things are going to be missed in the code. It's a gigantic game.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 30th, 2018, 6:20 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Gaming as a service is probably the holy grail of the gaming industry. They can just toss out unfinished software and earn a steady stream of money off of it. As people become accustomed to this model they become more forgiving of the bugs, making it even easier to justify pushing out unfinished garbage.

This creates a race to the bottom much like we've seen in the mobile arena.

You can't have it both ways. You can sell bad software for cheap and good software for $60. But you can sell bad software for $60 like we're seeing with The Show 18. I don't think gamers will tolerate it for long. Sony has really tarnished its flagship sports franchise.

Did you see my video links critic, because you are not alone on this problem!

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 30th, 2018, 6:22 pm

GTS wrote:Critic, I think you have become so scorned about "online" that you are connecting dots that aren't there. We have had TV programming "as a service" (Netflix, Hulu, etc.), but the quality hasn't suffered. Have you seen Stranger Things? Modern games have bugs because they are complicated. Mario Odyssey is a wonderful game but it's the most bug-ridden Mario game ever. There are 717,000 videos on Youtube showing glitches in Odyssey. Even with Nintendo's rigorous quality control, things are going to be missed in the code. It's a gigantic game.

Critic gave Mario Odyssey an A+ without patches, because it was playble and polished the same can not be saiz for others!

scotland

Postby scotland » May 1st, 2018, 6:41 am

GTS wrote:Critic, I think you have become so scorned about "online" that you are connecting dots that aren't there. We have had TV programming "as a service" (Netflix, Hulu, etc.), but the quality hasn't suffered. Have you seen Stranger Things? Modern games have bugs because they are complicated. Mario Odyssey is a wonderful game but it's the most bug-ridden Mario game ever. There are 717,000 videos on Youtube showing glitches in Odyssey. Even with Nintendo's rigorous quality control, things are going to be missed in the code. It's a gigantic game.

That is not really comparable.

There are similiarities - you only get access to playing an online game while you pay membership, like Netflix. The game though, is not always the same game, while the Netflix movies are.

Streaming tv by Netflix, Hulu, etc, or On Demand from Cable services is still just the same old tv - delivering a completed block of media - just with a personalized on request start feature. That personalization is a change, but the tv shows themselves are complete and final. Games, on the other hand, are mutable.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » May 1st, 2018, 10:07 am

Such a shame, MLB 12: The Show was such a great game, and so polished. I remember wanting to do nothing but sit there and play all day. Nowadays it's like watching your favorite player in the twilight of his career, striking out, making errors.

Return to “Modern Gaming”