Thunder Storms!

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
CaptainCruch

Re: Thunder Storms!

Postby CaptainCruch » May 16th, 2018, 6:04 am

Also BioShock starts with a great thunder storm (and crashing plane) and is great to play with dark weather...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 16th, 2018, 8:42 pm

Of course! Good one!

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » May 16th, 2018, 8:54 pm

I love the thunderstorms that pop up while out in the middle of the ocean in Wind Waker. Then of course there is Breath of the Wild, perhaps the king of games with thunder and lightning.

Voor

Postby Voor » May 17th, 2018, 6:05 pm

Ninja Gaiden 2 (NES) has a lightning and thunder stage.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 19th, 2018, 12:23 pm

Plenty of good suggestions so far! Keep them coming.
I did a search of my reviews for storm and found so unlikely candidates for my upcoming "Thunder Storm Games" special:

Carrier (Dreamcast)
Championship Surfer (Dreamcast)
Resident Evil 4 (GameCube)
Chase HQ 2 (Genesis)
Chuck II (Genesis)
Ghouls N' Ghosts (Genesis)
Legend of Kage (NES)
Castlevania (N64)
Rollcage II (PS1)
ATV Offroad Fury 3 (PS2)
Splashdown: Rides Gone Wild (PS2)
Twisted Metal (PS3)
Batman Arkham Knight (PS4)
Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
Crimson Skies (Xbox)
Ninja Gaiden (Xbox)
King Kong (Xbox 360)

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » May 19th, 2018, 2:29 pm

F-Zero GX has a couple of stormy tracks.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » May 22nd, 2018, 1:23 pm

Doesn't A Link to the Past start in a thunderstorm, or was it just raining? Ocarina of Time definitely had some nice thunderstorms. You can even create one on demand with the ocarina once you learn the right song.

I love barreling through a narrow forest track in Colin McRae 04 (Xbox) at night in a heavy thunderstorm, from the cockpit view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za77qdsMraM&t=68s

Rallisport Challenge 2 also had excellent thunderstorms on the original Xbox.

I don't remember much about playing on Xbox Live for the original Xbox, but I remember meeting up with three friends one night in that game. I was in 2nd on one of these tracks at night in a heavy thunderstorm and couldn't really see where I was going, and fell behind with my co-driver's instructions.

I turned right instead of left, went airborne, and splashed into a pond. A moment later 3rd place lands next to me and 4th place splashes down to my other side. They had been following my taillights in the storm, and just assumed I knew where I was going.

lol

scotland

Postby scotland » May 28th, 2018, 12:14 pm

Hoping our favorite video game critic did okay in the storms in his area last night. Streets of Ellicott City looked more like River Raid

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 28th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Yeah we were driving another couple from Baltimore yesterday when all hell broke loose. The roads were like rivers and we kept having to turn around because there were unpassable pools of water (usually with a car in the middle). A lot of people I know had flooded basements but we got lucky.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » June 4th, 2018, 9:53 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Yeah we were driving another couple from Baltimore yesterday when all hell broke loose. The roads were like rivers and we kept having to turn around because there were unpassable pools of water (usually with a car in the middle). A lot of people I know had flooded basements but we got lucky.

This is why, despite me having vastly more room down there, I don't put my games in the basement. We've never had water, but that could change at any time. At my old apartment, I lost my N64 to a flood because I had it in storage in the basement.

Return to “Other Media”