Capcom releasing Resident Evil 7 on Switch, In the Dumbest Way Imaginable

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Capcom releasing Resident Evil 7 on Switch, In the Dumbest Way Imaginable

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 25th, 2018, 7:07 pm

What amazes me is that there are people out there who are perfectly OK with this business model. Maybe they are new to gaming?

It used to be that your purchased a game and you owned the media. The act of playing it was your business. And when you didn't want it any more, you could sell it.

With this new games-as-a-service model you don't own anything, and you can't play unless 1) your internet is running fast, and 2) a server somewhere out there grants you permission. Your usage of the game is monitored and maybe even harvested for other money-making opportunities. And when they finally pull the plug (for any reason) you're left with nothing.

It doesn't sound like a very good deal for the customer.

Sonicx9

Re: Capcom releasing Resident Evil 7 on Switch, In the Dumbest Way Imaginable

Postby Sonicx9 » May 25th, 2018, 11:04 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:What amazes me is that there are people out there who are perfectly OK with this business model. Maybe they are new to gaming?

It used to be that your purchased a game and you owned the media. The act of playing it was your business. And when you didn't want it any more, you could sell it.

With this new games-as-a-service model you don't own anything, and you can't play unless 1) your internet is running fast, and 2) a server somewhere out there grants you permission. Your usage of the game is monitored and maybe even harvested for other money-making opportunities. And when they finally pull the plug (for any reason) you're left with nothing.

It doesn't sound like a very good deal for the customer.

I agree it is a problem people need to speak our to theses companies on crap like that. Because it needs to stop. You can still buy your favorite games, it just yoi need to tell if the companies do the right or wrong things with the games and it is not hard to see obvious problem s like this!

Return to “Modern Gaming”