2018/6/3: Saturn: F1 Challenge, X-Men Vs. Street Fighter (Japan)

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2018/6/3: Saturn: F1 Challenge, X-Men Vs. Street Fighter (Japan)

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 3rd, 2018, 11:54 am

Posted a fresh set of Sega Saturn reviews for you to comment on!

Stalvern

Re: 2018/6/3: Saturn: F1 Challenge, X-Men Vs. Street Fighter (Japan)

Postby Stalvern » June 3rd, 2018, 1:04 pm

This isn't in either of today's reviews, but the review for the Saturn itself has a line that should definitely be changed: "The system was the first (and probably the last) to accept both CDs and cartridges, but the role of the cartridge slot was never really clear." The TurboDuo used both media years earlier, and the slot is for expansions like the memory cartridge (which you mention) and the modem.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » June 3rd, 2018, 2:04 pm

A good review of two games I do not have for the Saturn. Though I do not think that I am like to get them either.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 3rd, 2018, 2:34 pm

Imagine if the Sega Saturn 4MB Ram cart was used for porting Rayman 2 to support the demanding 3D graphics that would be awesome!

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » June 3rd, 2018, 2:38 pm

I enjoy seeing new reviews of Saturn games. I owned both of these and I really miss F1, just because it's gameplay is so indicative to SEGA in the 90s. I sold Xmen vs SF eventually since i also own Marvel vs Street Fighter , not to mention Dreamcast MvC2. But if i still owned it, you bet i'd dig it out and still play it with my friends. Love that Saturn pad!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 3rd, 2018, 7:45 pm

Now the question is... is it worth tracking down X-Men Vs. Street Fighter for the PS1...?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » June 3rd, 2018, 8:25 pm

You'll never see me complain about new Saturn reviews. I bought F1 Challenge for $3 a few years back, but still haven't played it. As for X-Men vs. Street Fighter.. I'm not a fighting game fan at all, but your review is so passionate that it makes me want the game! In reality, I know there's no chance of me liking it, but I still enjoyed the review!

Stalvern wrote:This isn't in either of today's reviews, but the review for the Saturn itself has a line that should definitely be changed: "The system was the first (and probably the last) to accept both CDs and cartridges, but the role of the cartridge slot was never really clear." The TurboDuo used both media years earlier, and the slot is for expansions like the memory cartridge (which you mention) and the modem.

My first thought about that is: could the Saturn really accept CDs and cartridges? I always thought of it as more of an accessory port than a cartridge slot, right? I could be wrong, but I thought the slot was only used for things like memory cards, RAM carts, cheat devices, etc. If so, that wording could be misleading, by making it sound like the Saturn had cartridge games.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » June 3rd, 2018, 8:28 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Now the question is... is it worth tracking down X-Men Vs. Street Fighter for the PS1...?

Hmm.. Unless there's something superior about the PS1 version, it would seem redundant, since the Saturn usually did better at 2D fighters. Also, according to PriceCharting, complete copies of the PS1 version are selling for $60-$70 right now.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » June 3rd, 2018, 8:33 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Now the question is... is it worth tracking down X-Men Vs. Street Fighter for the PS1...?

Although it has still got that Capcom SF gameplay, it isn't the same 2-on-2 tag-team gameplay from what I recall. And you'll see these two words a long time: "NOW LOADING". Actually, after owning the Saturn one, unless you want to get frustrated, stay away from it.

Saturn version w/the 4M RAM = 10/10
PS1 busted version = 3/10

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » June 3rd, 2018, 9:20 pm

Retro STrife wrote:My first thought about that is: could the Saturn really accept CDs and cartridges? I always thought of it as more of an accessory port than a cartridge slot, right? I could be wrong, but I thought the slot was only used for things like memory cards, RAM carts, cheat devices, etc. If so, that wording could be misleading, by making it sound like the Saturn had cartridge games.

I wanted to point that out, but I didn't want to invite a debate over what does or doesn't count as a "cartridge". But yeah, that's an error of its own.

Return to “Review Feedback”