New Icon Idea - can the game be beat in one sitting?

General and high profile video game topics.
bluenote

New Icon Idea - can the game be beat in one sitting?

Postby bluenote » June 1st, 2018, 5:54 pm

So, I usually have 1 main game that I play at a time, and this is a game that cannot be beat in one sitting. Anything with a password, or is saved to a memory card/hard drive.

However, if I need a break from that one game, I'll play a game that doesn't require a continue, like any of the super mario games on NES, or a puzzle game or a sports games (not in season mode), etc. This is usually a nice, quick break from that 15-20 hour adventure game that I may be working on. It's perfect for those nights where I don't feel like thinking too much in adventure/rpg games. I can just zone out for an hour.

Anyway, this got me to thinking that perhaps this would be a good idea for a new icon for the Critic's reviews. Perhaps a clock showing that the game can be beat in one sitting or a game that doesn't have an end (ie, games that are just played for a high score)

Now, for anything pre-NES this would mean every game would fall into that category. However, starting with the NES, there are games such as Zelda, Star Tropics, etc that you cannot beat in one sitting. (except for those crazy speed runners!). Conversely, there's not many games nowadays that can be played in 1 sitting, but there is still games like Wii Sports, or puzzle games, Hot Shots Golf/Tennis, arcade compilations, fighting games, etc.

Anyway, just an idea for the Critic.

Anyone else use these pick up and play games as a break from that lengthy adventure game that is taking up all your time?

Alucard1191

Re: New Icon Idea - can the game be beat in one sitting?

Postby Alucard1191 » June 1st, 2018, 8:23 pm

I usually use light gun games or computer flash games on kongregate as my break from RPGs and strategy games.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » June 2nd, 2018, 4:08 pm

Oh... actual answer. I'm an idiot sometimes. I don't think an icon for that is necessary.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » June 4th, 2018, 8:00 pm

I like the sentiment, but even NES and SNES era are going to have way too many games with the icon.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » June 4th, 2018, 10:46 pm

ESauce wrote:I like the sentiment, but even NES and SNES era are going to have way too many games with the icon.

There's also the matter of difficulty. Plenty of NES games have only an hour or two of actual content but will give you game over after game over before you know them well enough to beat them in one go. Of course, this has nothing to do with the games' actual length, but given the purpose of this icon, I don't think that it should be ignored, and it really complicates the issue.

Return to “Video Games General”