2018/6/12: Turbografx-16: Cratermaze, Dragon's Curse

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2018/6/12: Turbografx-16: Cratermaze, Dragon's Curse

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 12th, 2018, 6:54 pm

I'd definitely recommend these two Turbografx titles!

Sonicx9

Re: 2018/6/12: Turbografx-16: Cratermaze, Dragon's Curse

Postby Sonicx9 » June 12th, 2018, 10:07 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'd definitely recommend these two Turbografx titles!

Good reviews,

Things worth mentioning, Cratermaze is actually a port of an obscure Japanese Arcade game called Kid no Hore Hore Daisakusen created by Nichibutsu. And about the gameplay being similar to Bomberman is not a surprise as the Arcade game was directed and designed by Shigeki Fujiwara: https://translate.google.com/translate? ... %2583%25BC)&prev=search and when Hudson in Japan ported Kid no Hore Hore Daisakusen to the PC Engine, they could not get the original license so they changed it to a Doraemon Game. But when localized they made it resemble the Arcade version more by getting rid of the Doraemon license because at the time Doraemon was not well know in the western markets a official English versions of both the Manga and Anime would not be released until 2013 and 2014 for both the Manga and Anime. And related with Doraemon and Shigeki Fujiwara and Hudson Soft. Shigeki Fujiwara was an assistant of Fujiko Fujio the creator of the Doraemon Manga and Hudson did make a few Doraemon games with one of it former key designer being related to Doraemon Manga creator.

As for Dragon's Curse aka Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap. Will you update the review to the Sega Master System version and/or review the 2017 remake for the Nintendo Switch?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 12th, 2018, 10:23 pm

I actually did make a slight change to the Sega Master System Wonder Boy III review. I dropped the grade to an A- and mentioned you had to use the pause button on the console to access the item menu.

I am in the process of reviewing the PS4 version of Wonder Boy III. I probably would have preferred the Switch version, but I already bought the PS4 version and I don't want to buy this game again.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 13th, 2018, 12:45 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:
I am in the process of reviewing the PS4 version of Wonder Boy III. I probably would have preferred the Switch version, but I already bought the PS4 version and I don't want to buy this game again.

I would like to know why you chose PS4 over Switch as you tend to buy Switch versions most of the time, just wondering?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 13th, 2018, 8:07 am

I bought the PS4 version for about $20, and I think the Switch version was $40 at the time.
Last time I checked however they were more comparable in price.

SavagePencil

Postby SavagePencil » June 13th, 2018, 1:13 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:Things worth mentioning, Cratermaze is actually a port of an obscure Japanese Arcade game called Kid no Hore Hore Daisakusen created by Nichibutsu. And about the gameplay being similar to Bomberman is not a surprise as the Arcade game was directed and designed by Shigeki Fujiwara: https://translate.google.com/translate? ... %2583%25BC)&prev=search and when Hudson in Japan ported Kid no Hore Hore Daisakusen to the PC Engine, they could not get the original license so they changed it to a Doraemon Game. But when localized they made it resemble the Arcade version more by getting rid of the Doraemon license because at the time Doraemon was not well know in the western markets a official English versions of both the Manga and Anime would not be released until 2013 and 2014 for both the Manga and Anime. And related with Doraemon and Shigeki Fujiwara and Hudson Soft. Shigeki Fujiwara was an assistant of Fujiko Fujio the creator of the Doraemon Manga and Hudson did make a few Doraemon games with one of it former key designer being related to Doraemon Manga creator.

The history of this gameplay design goes back even further, to Heiankyo Alien from 1979:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heiankyo_Alien

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 13th, 2018, 2:24 pm

SavagePencil wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:Things worth mentioning, Cratermaze is actually a port of an obscure Japanese Arcade game called Kid no Hore Hore Daisakusen created by Nichibutsu. And about the gameplay being similar to Bomberman is not a surprise as the Arcade game was directed and designed by Shigeki Fujiwara: https://translate.google.com/translate? ... %2583%25BC)&prev=search and when Hudson in Japan ported Kid no Hore Hore Daisakusen to the PC Engine, they could not get the original license so they changed it to a Doraemon Game. But when localized they made it resemble the Arcade version more by getting rid of the Doraemon license because at the time Doraemon was not well know in the western markets a official English versions of both the Manga and Anime would not be released until 2013 and 2014 for both the Manga and Anime. And related with Doraemon and Shigeki Fujiwara and Hudson Soft. Shigeki Fujiwara was an assistant of Fujiko Fujio the creator of the Doraemon Manga and Hudson did make a few Doraemon games with one of it former key designer being related to Doraemon Manga creator.

The history of this gameplay design goes back even further, to Heiankyo Alien from 1979:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heiankyo_Alien

I forgot about it, thanks.

Return to “Review Feedback”