Why ARM architecture for the Nintendo Switch is better then X86 from PS4/Xbox One!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
pacman000

Re: Why ARM architecture for the Nintendo Switch is better then X86 from PS4/Xbox One!

Postby pacman000 » July 2nd, 2018, 10:49 am

Actually I find Sonicx9's posts kinda interesting... :)

Stalvern

Re: Why ARM architecture for the Nintendo Switch is better then X86 from PS4/Xbox One!

Postby Stalvern » July 2nd, 2018, 12:19 pm

ActRaiser wrote:Did you guys know there is an ignore poster option? It hides posts from anyone you think is annoying. I've used and it cuts down on the stress of dealing with goofy posts. Sure, you can always view them if you'd like but it really keeps things simple. I see posts from 99% of folks and ignore the goofy things. You can also show the hidden posts anytime you'd like as well so you won't miss out on anything.

Sonicx9 is an unusual person with unusual thought processes; it's interesting to chase and follow them around. The only time he's ever actually annoyed me was when he wouldn't stop posting about those two movies from 2016.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 2nd, 2018, 12:35 pm

pacman000 wrote:Actually I find Sonicx9's posts kinda interesting... :)

Thanks, I am glad you like my post, pacman000!

Stalvern wrote:The relevant similarities were that they used AMD GPUs along with the Intel CPUs. If they had new custom graphics hardware, it would be meaningless to compare them to PCs.

Actually the PS4 and Xbox One CPUs are actually AMD CPU named Jaguar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_(microarchitecture), both systems are AMD based GPU and CPU tech that was similar hardware for both systems.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » July 2nd, 2018, 1:59 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:Actually the PS4 and Xbox One CPUs are actually AMD CPU

D'oh! I was thinking x86/x64 but typed "Intel" instead because I'd had a long day and wasn't quite firing on all cylinders. Thanks for catching that. :)

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 2nd, 2018, 2:35 pm

Stalvern wrote:
ActRaiser wrote:Did you guys know there is an ignore poster option? It hides posts from anyone you think is annoying. I've used and it cuts down on the stress of dealing with goofy posts. Sure, you can always view them if you'd like but it really keeps things simple. I see posts from 99% of folks and ignore the goofy things. You can also show the hidden posts anytime you'd like as well so you won't miss out on anything.

Sonicx9 is an unusual person with unusual thought processes; it's interesting to chase and follow them around. The only time he's ever actually annoyed me was when he wouldn't stop posting about those two movies from 2016.

I thankfully have stopped about those two infamous movies from 2016 and moved on!

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 2nd, 2018, 2:39 pm

Stalvern wrote:

D'oh! I was thinking x86/x64 but typed "Intel" instead because I'd had a long day and wasn't quite firing on all cylinders. Thanks for catching that. :)

I am glad I corrected you because I know that both PS4 and Xbox One are 100% AMD tech that will be used going forward for Sony PlayStation and Microsoft Xbox. Only Nintendo is using Nvidia GPU tech which I think is better optimized then AMD tech as many PC gamers hate AMD tech FYI.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 5th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:
Stalvern wrote:

I am glad I corrected you because I know that both PS4 and Xbox One are 100% AMD tech that will be used going forward for Sony PlayStation and Microsoft Xbox. Only Nintendo is using Nvidia GPU tech which I think is better optimized then AMD tech as many PC gamers hate AMD tech FYI.

I dunno about that, I have not found the AMD Ryzen chipset lacking in any manner. I just completed a Threadripper 1950X build and it out-benchmarks many of my Intel builds including an i9-7900X. I built a Ryzen 5 PC for my nephew and it is right up there with an i5 on gaming. In the GPU domain, yes, Nvidia has dominated performance, particularly for DX11. The Nvidia advantage does not necessarily apply to consoles which offer a standardized platform and toolsets that can be created specifically for hardware. Comparing PC's to Consoles is and has always been apples to oranges. If the AMD Vega GPU's are poorly optimized on a DX11/DX12 platform for a PC, it does not mean the same chipset would be poor for a console design.

The Switch is a great device and good piece of hardware for it's diminutive size, but, in proper context, it is nothing Earth shattering. The Nvidia's Tegra GPU on the Switch is a fine little GPU, but were it to be used in a PC environment, it would be horribly outgunned even by Intel HD 630 graphics. AMD Ryzen 2200g/2400g, forget about it, may as well pack up and go home now. Note these are all GPU's integrated on a die with CPU. Of course, on a standardized platform like the Switch, the Tegra GPU will punch its weight in this environment.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 6th, 2018, 1:54 pm

DrLitch wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:
Stalvern wrote:D'oh! I was thinking x86/x64 but typed "Intel" instead because I'd had a long day and wasn't quite firing on all cylinders. Thanks for catching that. :)

I dunno about that, I have not found the AMD Ryzen chipset lacking in any manner. I just completed a Threadripper 1950X build and it out-benchmarks many of my Intel builds including an i9-7900X. I built a Ryzen 5 PC for my nephew and it is right up there with an i5 on gaming. In the GPU domain, yes, Nvidia has dominated performance, particularly for DX11. The Nvidia advantage does not necessarily apply to consoles which offer a standardized platform and toolsets that can be created specifically for hardware. Comparing PC's to Consoles is and has always been apples to oranges. If the AMD Vega GPU's are poorly optimized on a DX11/DX12 platform for a PC, it does not mean the same chipset would be poor for a console design.

The Switch is a great device and good piece of hardware for it's diminutive size, but, in proper context, it is nothing Earth shattering. The Nvidia's Tegra GPU on the Switch is a fine little GPU, but were it to be used in a PC environment, it would be horribly outgunned even by Intel HD 630 graphics. AMD Ryzen 2200g/2400g, forget about it, may as well pack up and go home now. Note these are all GPU's integrated on a die with CPU. Of course, on a standardized platform like the Switch, the Tegra GPU will punch its weight in this environment.

What I have learned of gaming GPUs for console, mobile and PC. Nvidia dominates on PC, AMD dominates on Consoles, and PowerVR dominates Mobile, (fun fact PowerVR made the Sega Dreamcast GPU and Apple iOS GPU=Sega Dreamcast ports for iOS!)

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » July 6th, 2018, 5:33 pm

Avoid Troll and I on the switch. I hear it really is the worst version on the switch. The game already is awful but due to not being able to program it I hear this version is even worse than the xbox 1 version. If that is possible. I think watching paint dry might be more fun than it.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » July 6th, 2018, 9:23 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:(fun fact PowerVR made the Sega Dreamcast GPU and Apple iOS GPU=Sega Dreamcast ports for iOS!)

No, it doesn't mean that at all. Neither hardware, software, nor business works that way. I don't have the patience right now to type a few hundred more words about this; just trust me. (All right, I'll type a bit more: You often jump to conclusions about hardware that only approach making sense in a world where programming is still done in assembly, directly calling hardware functions. This hasn't been the case since the '90s, with a few exceptions in the early 2000s.)

Return to “Modern Gaming”