2018/7/10: Playstation 4: Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2018/7/10: Playstation 4: Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 10th, 2018, 6:06 pm

I am so glad they did not tinker with the gameplay, as the original game was a masterpiece.
I am however quite glad they upgraded the graphics and sound! Bravo!

Sonicx9

Re: 2018/7/10: Playstation 4: Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap

Postby Sonicx9 » July 10th, 2018, 6:17 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I am so glad they did not tinker with the gameplay, as the original game was a masterpiece.
I am however quite glad they upgraded the graphics and sound! Bravo!

Great review, I will be getting the Switch port when I get my Nintendo Switch, which BTW I won it from Play-Asia.com with a copy of DIMENSION DRIVE [LIMITED EDITION] FYI!

And related with remakes, I would love to see you review Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy on the Nintendo Switch, but only after re-reviewing the PS1 versions to refresh your Crash Bandicoot experience!

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » July 10th, 2018, 7:25 pm

It's interesting how the Wonder Boy series went in a more adventure-ish direction whereas the Adventure Island series is more about straightfoward platforming (the original AI is the NES port of Wonder Boy).

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » July 11th, 2018, 12:11 am

I believe I was one of the ones who originally pushed you over the edge to review the Master System version, so as a major fan of the original, I have to ask, are the original melodies of the music still perceptible? It won't keep me from buying the game, but I LOVE that opening stage music SO MUCH. It is one of the few songs that still pop in my head randomly when I'm just in a good mood, along with a few Mega Man 2, Blaster Master, and Journey to Silius tunes. I would love to hear an updated version of it. But if they didn't, I'll just hope for some new ones that can at least come close to that original...

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » July 11th, 2018, 4:19 am

I find it funny that some of the best games for a 'next generation' console as the PS4 are actually some oldschool 2D platform games: not only Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap, but also Shantae: Half-Genie Hero and Shovel Knight.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » July 11th, 2018, 9:47 am

Paul Campbell wrote:I believe I was one of the ones who originally pushed you over the edge to review the Master System version, so as a major fan of the original, I have to ask, are the original melodies of the music still perceptible?

The critic didn’t make this too clear in his review. Aside from being able to toggle the old and new graphics you can also, with a separate button, toggle between the old and new music. So you can play the game with new graphics and the original soundtrack! I spent a lot of the game with new graphics and old soundtrack. I’ve never played the original but when I toggled the music I was able to hear the original melodies in the new version.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 11th, 2018, 1:00 pm

CaptainCruch wrote:I find it funny that some of the best games for a 'next generation' console as the PS4 are actually some oldschool 2D platform games: not only Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap, but also Shantae: Half-Genie Hero and Shovel Knight.

It is funny that is true, but I would not fully count Shantae: Half-Genie Hero as it not next gen enough as it is on the PS Vita, and Shovel Knight is a 8-bit 2D game that was also released on Amazon Fire TV, 3DS, PS3, and PS Vita. For me the best next gen 2D platformers games are Sonic Mania/Mania Plus, Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap remake, and Mega Man 11 as that game looks awesome, also for 3D platformer remake Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy fit that bill for that type of platformer!

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 11th, 2018, 1:10 pm

My one and only criticism of the game was fighting one particular boss. I kept missing him when trying to hit him. I flipped over to the old style graphics and could see he was smaller in size in the original game. The hit box was using the original graphics but the new graphics were a bit larger. Other than that minor oddity it's a wonderful game.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » July 12th, 2018, 9:54 am

ActRaiser wrote:My one and only criticism of the game was fighting one particular boss. I kept missing him when trying to hit him. I flipped over to the old style graphics and could see he was smaller in size in the original game. The hit box was using the original graphics but the new graphics were a bit larger. Other than that minor oddity it's a wonderful game.

I’ve been playing mostly in the new graphics but I’ve found myself switching to old during boss fights. Aside from the issue you described, I also found the greater detail in the backgrounds just makes them harder to see in the new graphics. The black backgrounds in the original graphics make them much easier and I haven’t had any desire to die at them and have to restart the whole temple over again, so I want them as easy as possible

Return to “Review Feedback”