GameStop selling comics...

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
pacman000

Re: GameStop selling comics...

Postby pacman000 » July 18th, 2018, 1:40 pm

They're going down a similar road because most folk are buying from Amazon anyway. :(

Hastings actually had a pretty good selection of DVDs, Music, Games, & Books right up till their bankruptcy. They added collectibles, but they didn't get rid of the other stuff. Of course, Hastings had really large stores, & they already had a collectibles section; they just expanded it.

scotland

Postby scotland » July 18th, 2018, 2:11 pm

Gamestop has more than 7000 locations in the world. They can be a big liability in the age of Amazon, but people still go out and shop, especially to purchase groceries. New comics generally come out ever week, which means you could have a steady flow of regulars. Many comics shops carry similar merchandise, such as those Funco Pop dolls. The comics distributor, Diamond, currently ships to about 2300 stores in North America, so this would significantly expand their reach. For many people, there are closer Gamestops than comics shops, and those Gamestops are often located where they do their grocery shopping anyway.

There has long been crossover appeal with video games and comics. The Archie Sonic The Hedgehog comic ran for over 20 years (Sonic has recently started fresh with another publisher, IDW). Terminator, Robocop and others had both comics and video games. I think Overwatch, Halo and Assassins Creed have comics.

Oddly, Walmart is also experimenting with selling comics right now too. For Wal-mart, they are focusing on reprint material, to keep costs down. A major problem with comics is that the single issue price is quite high. Gamestop is going to have to find a way to deal with that pricing hurdle as well.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 19th, 2018, 1:53 pm

bluenote wrote:Trading in is completely different and I definately agree with you.

But I think they could bring in a lot of hardcore gamers if they had the stock. If they carried 300-400 3DS games instead of the usual 50, I would definately go to my local store rather than Amazon.

The two go hand-in-hand for used games though. You can't get a good inventory of used games in stock if you aren't willing to offer good trade-in prices as an incentive.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 20th, 2018, 6:11 pm

Sadly they've already thrown away all the cases and manuals for those DS/3DS games!

You can tell the people running GameStop are not gamers.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » July 21st, 2018, 9:53 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Sadly they've already thrown away all the cases and manuals for those DS/3DS games!

You can tell the people running GameStop are not gamers.

They are gamers, they''re just not collectors

Return to “Other Media”