Computer Games 1998-2000

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
C64_Critic

Re: Computer Games 1998-2000

Postby C64_Critic » July 22nd, 2018, 5:35 pm

In trying to track down the exact first PC I owned, I stumbled across this bit of archived history:
https://archive.org/details/1988-Winter-DAK-Catalog
Anyone else remember getting these catalogs and drooling about their 'high tech' wizardry within? I purchased more than one item through these guys, and my first PC was one of them (although I can't find one of their catalogs that actually have that computer in it).

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 23rd, 2018, 12:44 pm

C64_Critic wrote:
Appreciated, and to be fair with the exception of my very first home PC (and IBM 286/16mhz clone with a 40MB hard drive), every PC I've ever owned has been cobbled together by myself vice an off-the-rack PC so I guess in one sense I am a 'boutique builder'. However, I've never gone 'top of the line' because I have never had a bulging wallet :) I'm pretty sure that every PC I've ever had has been head and shoulders above whatever the current and even next-gen (released after I already had my PC) console were in terms of gaming ability.

Yup, I have never purchased a PC either and build my own. I usually will purchase the top end GPU but the rest of the components, the processor's, RAM, and so on, I am happy to play in the middle ground. At least for a gaming PC. Yes, if you carefully match up your components, you can build a PC right now that will compete well with the next gen consoles when they release in two years time. Although I do not like comparing consoles to PC's, this can be apple'ish to orange'ish territory to me. Consoles have a dedicated standardized platform that is advantageous to developers while PC folks are too fond of throwing around Tflops numbers which are often fairly meaningless. It is a very subjective grey area stating that "this is better than that". I will say however, looking at game performance alone, a last gen PC built 3 years ago (i7 Skylake, 16GB DDR4, GTX980Ti) seems to be fairly well up to the task against, say, the 6 month old Xbox One X.

What was your first PC build? Mine was a Pentium 2 with Voodoo 2 GPU. Back then installed 128MB of RAM, how times have changed. I loved that PC and wish I kept it. Fallout, Icewild Dale, Baldur's Gate, Unreal, Quake, Shadowman, and so on, what a time to be a PC gamer. My father still has his PC from the early 90's, a 486 that I used to play Doom on. Great memories. I still play these games today thanks to GOG.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » July 24th, 2018, 2:02 am

DrLitch wrote:What was your first PC build? Mine was a Pentium 2 with Voodoo 2 GPU. Back then installed 128MB of RAM, how times have changed. I loved that PC and wish I kept it. Fallout, Icewild Dale, Baldur's Gate, Unreal, Quake, Shadowman, and so on, what a time to be a PC gamer. My father still has his PC from the early 90's, a 486 that I used to play Doom on. Great memories. I still play these games today thanks to GOG.

I think my first build was a Cyrix (remember them, back when Intel and AMD had some CPU competition?) 386/40. I can't recall the rest of the specs, but I did at some point wrangle up a Voodoo 2 card myself and man was that thing awesome! I still have and play Fallout, I have Icewind Dale (but haven't played it in forever), I still play Unreal Tournament, etc. GOG is great!

Return to “Classic Gaming”