NES Classic best selling console

General and high profile video game topics.
GTS

Re: NES Classic best selling console

Postby GTS » August 6th, 2018, 8:40 pm

Sony should think about a mini-PS1. Admit it, you'd get one.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 6th, 2018, 10:59 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:And I love my Switch also, but the success of the NES Classic isn’t predicated on the pending failure of an entire industry, because sales figures do state otherwise. When people, en mass, get tired of something, that something stops selling. It happened with disco, with MC Hammer, with the entire video game industry, circa 1983/84. Claiming that the NES Classic’s success is the direct result of the failings of the modern industry really doesn’t make any sense.
You can’t compare a $60 mini console that only plays a pre-selected, limited number of emulated titles to consoles that cost five times that amount, that are still vital, and are still building their respective libraries. It’s like comparing apples to shoelaces.

Ok, it not the best comparision, I goofed up. But one thing is I thought most of 8th gen outside of 3DS, PS Vita and Switch are the only systems I like because the rest PS4, Xbox One and Wii U are all dull, lame and disappointing but that just me. A red flag of the PS4, Xbox One and Wii U was the many cross gen handheld versions of next gen games during the 2013 to 2016 and games having trouble early on making the gen very un next gen for standards which is a total joke! I mean Super Smash Bros. on both 3DS and Wii U is a terrible mistake as we lost Ice Climbers and Transformation characters just for 3DS is not worth it, and 3DS hurt the Wii U sales, and no one complained, and like the nerd would say what where they thinking!

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » August 7th, 2018, 9:11 am

I saw and NES classic and SNES classic at Walmart last month and impulse bought both of them. Even though I have nicely modded top loader NES and NES mini consoles with Everdrives.

Something about the appeal of something so small you can take on the road for family gatherings, etc. Promptly bought travel cases, controller extension cords, and loaded both up with the full library of games.

I hope they keep making them and can't wait for the N64 classic!!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 8th, 2018, 9:31 pm

GTS wrote:Sony should think about a mini-PS1. Admit it, you'd get one.

This is an intriguing possibility! No need for disks when you could probably fit 100 PS1 games onto a memory chip.
No loading would be a nice bonus.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » August 9th, 2018, 7:28 am

I doubt that a mini PS1 would ever happen, for one reason alone: the cost. Unlike Nintendo, Sony doesn’t have a wealth of top-tier first party titles to rely on. The best titles for the system have always been the games released by third parties, who would be entitled to a royalty. So, if you had a PS1 Classic with, say, 21 games then 17 or so of them would have to be from companies like Squaresoft, Konami, Capcom, and Namco. The list would look something like this:

1). Ridge Racer
2). Tekken 2
3). Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
4). Resident Evil 1
5). Resident Evil 2
6). Final Fantasy VII
7). Metal Gear Solid
8). Syphon Filter
9). Gran Turismo
10). Medieval
11). Street Fighter Alpha
12). Medal of Honor
13). Mega Man Legends
14). Parappa the Rapper
15). Jet Moto 2
16. Cool Borders 2
17). Final Fantasy Tactics
18). Silent Hill
19). Crash Bandicoot
20). Crash Team Racing
21). Tomb Raider

I don’t know if it would be terribly profitable to release a mini collection filled mostly with games created by outside developers.

David

Postby David » August 9th, 2018, 4:10 pm

Yeah, kinda agree with Banjo about a PS1 mini. Too many of its iconic games are third party. Sony’s internal studios didn’t really pick up steam until later in the PS2 era. What’s weird to me though is Sony’s disowning of their PS1 legacy as of late, and most of their PS2’s. There’s no way to play PS1 games on a PS4, and other than the occassional PS2 classic/remake or PS2 game on PS Now most of their PS2 library is stranded on the original hardware or backwards compatible PS3 model. A mini system that contained 30 or so of the best PS1 games would probably find a decent audience right now

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » October 3rd, 2018, 12:22 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:I doubt that a mini PS1 would ever happen, for one reason alone: the cost. Unlike Nintendo, Sony doesn’t have a wealth of top-tier first party titles to rely on. The best titles for the system have always been the games released by third parties, who would be entitled to a royalty. So, if you had a PS1 Classic with, say, 21 games then 17 or so of them would have to be from companies like Squaresoft, Konami, Capcom, and Namco. The list would look something like this:

1). Ridge Racer
2). Tekken 2
3). Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
4). Resident Evil 1
5). Resident Evil 2
6). Final Fantasy VII
7). Metal Gear Solid
8). Syphon Filter
9). Gran Turismo
10). Medieval
11). Street Fighter Alpha
12). Medal of Honor
13). Mega Man Legends
14). Parappa the Rapper
15). Jet Moto 2
16. Cool Borders 2
17). Final Fantasy Tactics
18). Silent Hill
19). Crash Bandicoot
20). Crash Team Racing
21). Tomb Raider

I don’t know if it would be terribly profitable to release a mini collection filled mostly with games created by outside developers.

And I was wrong.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » October 3rd, 2018, 2:15 pm

GTS wrote:Sony should think about a mini-PS1. Admit it, you'd get one.

It's funny you should mention that, because just a few short days ago, a buddy of mine at work told me that there will be a PS1 mini coming out in the near future. Now, he didn't say exactly when it was coming out or where he heard or seen confirmation of it's arrival. But it's definitely got me more than a little excited, and I'd definitely go right out and buy one of 'em.

I wonder what games will be on it...

Return to “Video Games General”