Blu Ray Fail

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
noah98

Re: Blu Ray Fail

Postby noah98 » August 20th, 2018, 5:53 pm

ptdebate wrote:
Gentlegamer wrote:Why are you putting anything other than game discs in your PS3? You're just asking for the drive to fail.

Yes and no. Early PS3 consoles had faulty drives, but as far as I can tell the PS3 Slim and Super Slim models are very reliable. I've had a Super Slim since 2012 that has been heavily used for all kinds of media and shows no signs of giving up.

Honestly, the PS3 SS is the most reliable disc player I've ever owned. The only downside is that you can't find them new anymore. If I could, I'd be tempted to stock up a few extra consoles just in case.

My original backwards compatible PS3 got the dreaded YLOD, and my slim PS3 eventually died too. Actually, most people I know with a PS3 Slim had the disc drive eventually die. However, my PS3 super slim has been rock solid! People made fun of the design, and the fact that the drive had a physical mechanism, but I think it's by far the most reliable model.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » August 20th, 2018, 7:12 pm

ptdebate wrote:
Gentlegamer wrote:Why are you putting anything other than game discs in your PS3? You're just asking for the drive to fail.

Yes and no. Early PS3 consoles had faulty drives, but as far as I can tell the PS3 Slim and Super Slim models are very reliable. I've had a Super Slim since 2012 that has been heavily used for all kinds of media and shows no signs of giving up.

Honestly, the PS3 SS is the most reliable disc player I've ever owned. The only downside is that you can't find them new anymore. If I could, I'd be tempted to stock up a few extra consoles just in case.

The point is the blu ray drive has a finite life, why wear it out on non-games and have to replace it or the whole console when you can buy cheaper dedicated replacements.

As an aside, I would never use a Sony console for blu ray because I disable the HDCP because it interferes with game video over HDMI.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 20th, 2018, 7:27 pm

The reason I use my PS3 as a Blu Ray player is because I have a really nice remote for it. Using a game controller as a remote sucks!

Also, I noticed the latest Angry Video Game Nerd Blu Ray didn't even work on the Panasonic Blu Ray player in my bedroom. I thought those kind of players were immune but I guess I was wrong.

If studios want to sell digital media I understand the internet requirements, but if I'm buying a physical disc, there should be no strings attached. This is BS. The movie and game studios continues to strip customers of all our rights. Pretty soon we'll all be forced to subscribe to a dozen services who will monitor our every move and monetize it. And we will have nothing.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » August 20th, 2018, 11:43 pm

Retro STrife wrote:Just to clarify... does this mean that your blu ray player would be useless now if you didn't have an internet connection available to download the update? And/or that it could be useless in 10 years when the PS3 servers are done and the system might not connect online anymore? I'd hope at a minimum that the blu ray discs contain the update too, so that an internet connection isn't required, though it sounds like that isn't the case.

Not completely useless I don't think, but more and more useless with each passing day. I knew a guy who was puzzled as to why a blu-ray he had just purchased wouldn't play, and ended up calling the manufacturer. They stated that the problem was that this new disk he purchased had some kind of new encryption that his player didn't recognize because it's firmware was outdate; and, they had no plans on releasing an update to the firmware because it was over 2 years old now and they considered it 'obsolete'. He was encouraged to simply purchase a new Bluray player as the solution to his problem.

So the hardware manufacturers are in bed with the movie distributors to keep this cycle going - update the encryption to thwart advances in piracy AND sell new hardware to the sucker public! Nuts to that. I still use my old DVD player, over 12 years old and I have yet to have any problems playing any DVD I've ever purchased.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » August 21st, 2018, 7:41 am

It's sad that this is the reality because those of us who want the best video quality just have to buy into it and continue to support this cycle.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » August 21st, 2018, 2:03 pm

I'm sure revenue disk sales is worth more than revenue from streaming.

Studios should be very cautious about this; they shouldn't let a manufacturer stop supporting a device after only two years.

GTS

Postby GTS » August 21st, 2018, 5:16 pm

Blu-Ray players require firmware updates. From the Disney website: "Manufacturers may update their Blu-ray player firmware in order to add new functionality and rectify known playback issues" It's also to detour piracy. When I update mine, it adds/updates apps like Netflix. Not that inconvenient; just connect the player every once in a while and run any available updates. That goes for all modern game systems and television sets. If something needs an update, run the update! It's not a conspiracy. I actually think it's nice to have a product that constantly improves after I buy it, at no cost to me.

As someone mentioned, you can also get the updates via a thumbdrive from the manufacturers' websites.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » August 21st, 2018, 6:06 pm

I have the opposite experience with updates.

My computer works fine... Till I install the newest version of a piece of software. It's slower, & I have to relearn everything. Sometimes the developers even remove features.

So I try to avoid updates as long as possible. I make exceptions for security flaws, but usually what I have already works well enough for my tastes.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » August 21st, 2018, 9:33 pm

I hardly ever use my blu ray player. In fact I hardly ever watch dvds. vhs or blu ray. I stream sometimes but if I want to see something I go to the cinema

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 22nd, 2018, 8:49 pm

A little late, and not 100% related, but this video does explain that companies want to push people for digital for both games and movies, but it does show the problems of today with patches/firmware being mandatory and problematic indeed.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmXX8TcvD2k

Return to “Other Media”