Who didn't own a NES in the 80's?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
newmodelarmy

Re: Who didn't own a NES in the 80's?

Postby newmodelarmy » August 29th, 2018, 6:41 am

I was all about the C-64 back in the 80's. God I wish I could go back! Anyway, I did own an NES for a short time before leaving for the Army but really didn't get into it. At the time I felt the games were too simplistic plus I was really into simulation war games and RPG's which suited the C-64 perfectly. Although now I realize that there were a ton of RPG's on the NES. That being said plenty of guys owned the NES in the barracks and we played a ton of sports titles especially Tecmo Football. We eventually graduated to the Genesis where I probably played thousands of NHL games. After that I don't think I touched the NES until I recently picked up an NES classic. Great system and looking back I wish I was into more "back in the day".

jon

Postby jon » August 29th, 2018, 10:01 am

I too didn't know the Master System even existed back in the late 80's. I was shocked years ago when I realized Sega had a console before the Genesis. Although I guess the reviews are bad, there has to be some fun to get out of that system because it's Sega. It's interesting years later realizing that the NES had a huge monopoly back then.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » August 29th, 2018, 10:35 am

I didn't own a NES in the (late) 80s! My first video game console was a Sega Master System, but maybe that's I'm from Europe. It had Alex the Kidd in Miracle World as built-in game. So, I have fond memories of that one. Other games that I liked were Choplifter, Double Dragon and Bubble Bobble. But I played my first games actually on an B&W Apple MacIntosh (my dad was an Apple salesman) - most popular were Shufflepuck Café (1988), Crystal Quest (1987) and OIDS (1987). My first Nintendo device was the original Game Boy...

Breaker

Postby Breaker » August 29th, 2018, 11:00 am

I got a 2600 from my cousins in about 86 or 87. I was 7 or 8, and friends had an NES. I still loved that 2600, even though I knew it wasn't state-of-the-art. That was my only console until I bought myself a Genesis in 1993. That Genesis is still my favorite console. I eventually bought a Retron 2 in 2012. Although I had never sold any consoles I had purchased (N64, PS2, PS3), that Retron is really the start of my video game collecting. I bought some NES & SNES games, and finally bought an original NES & SNES in 2015.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » August 30th, 2018, 1:55 pm

I actually never owned an nes. I played my 2600 through well after it was popular, like 1985 or something. But I think it was Christmas of 84 or 85 Dad got us a C64 for Christmas. From then I was pretty much into it for gaming. It wasn't until about 1993 when working at a video store I went and bought a Genesis after renting one a few times because I was addicted to Madden, Road Rash and Desert Strike. World of Illusion was one of my first carts too.

Return to “Classic Gaming”