Madden Tournament Shooting

General and high profile video game topics.
Robotrek

Re: Madden Tournament Shooting

Postby Robotrek » August 28th, 2018, 11:19 pm

What's funny is these shootings are far less common than they were decades ago, but the media sensationalizes it to make us all scared.

This guys problem was that he was a loser who took his game far too seriously. If he didn't have the gun, he would've bludgeoned somebody.

This is an extremely rare occurrence in day to day life.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » August 29th, 2018, 6:37 am

Robotrek wrote:What's funny is these shootings are far less common than they were decades ago, but the media sensationalizes it to make us all scared.

This guys problem was that he was a loser who took his game far too seriously. If he didn't have the gun, he would've bludgeoned somebody.

This is an extremely rare occurrence in day to day life.

Well I guess as long as it doesn't happen to you or somebody you love...no problem! Actually I don't think you are correct that this is happening less then decades ago. In 1989, as far as my research goes, there was ONE school shooting (in KY). Now there is about one or two a quarter. Now I did not do extensive research so fact check that yourself. The country is sick and we do not do enough to keep guns away from mentally ill people. We do everything we can to protect the privacy of people but it goes too far. Not to mention the fact that years ago people like this probably would have been locked up in a mental institution. I don't think we even have those anymore. I also think those who have guns, if not properly secured, should be held accountable for any murders that happen while using the weapons that they own. I am pretty far to the right but I cannot understand the fascination with guns...it's crazy in this country.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » August 29th, 2018, 8:16 am

David Katz was a waste of human flesh who failed the genetics lottery, gun or no gun if he went out massacring people over something as soulless as data on a disk (CD/DVD/BLU-RAY, SSD, etc.) he was too dangerous to let out into the world in the first place. Lives were lost because of his idiot narcissism, my condolences to the families who were hurt.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » August 29th, 2018, 8:52 am

There has been about one shooting involving 4 or more deaths for every day since the Sandy Hook shooting in 2015. Pretty scary if you ask me.

Yes, gun deaths have declined over the past decade, but the US is still leading the developed world in this particular figure.

Voor wrote:The purchase of a gun is based on a person’s criminal history, not their mental health. If you start evaluating every potential gun owner’s mental health, you’re gonna run into a bunch of HIPPA issues. And where do you draw the line? Still, I agree that this issue regarding mental health needs to be addressed immediately.

That is true, which basically means that at present, mentally unstable individuals have a right to purchase a gun. That is a right that should be taken away.

Meaning, just like a partially blind person is legally unable to drive, anyone with a history of mental illness should be disallowed from owning firearms. As far as I can tell, this is an apolitical issue that almost everyone agrees with.

And finally, I think we can all agree that losing a videogame does not make someone commit murder. It may make you angry, but if it makes you want to go on a killing spree (and actually carry it out!) then there is another factor at play (mental illness, schizophrenia, etc).

Voor

Postby Voor » August 29th, 2018, 9:26 am

The mental health issue problem is where to draw the line. What if you are currently on anxiety meds? What if you took depression meds 2 years ago following the death of a loved one? What if you were in a psychiatric hospital 10 years ago as a teenager? What if you are on the higher end of asbergers (aka, spectrum disorder nowadays), capable of working, etc, but definitely have some “quirks” in your behavior?

In other words, what counts? Taking away a person’s rights is a HUGE deal, and much easier if past crimes are involved. But the mental health argument is a slippery slope for sure.

Again, I’m in agreement, but just trying to point out how complicated this issue is.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » August 29th, 2018, 10:25 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:What bothers me is this guy had a long history of mental illness - including the need for anti-psychotic drugs and he had to be sent to a special place in Utah. And yet he was legally able to purchase multiple weapons?

Another problem - in addition to the argument Voor made - is that by not allowing mentally ill people to obtain firearms, you are denying them of a constitutional right. You could argue that legally it would be no different than denying them their first amendment rights.

As someone who has struggled with mental illness at times and have family members who struggle with it, I am more sympathetic to those with mental illness than most. But I do think people with mental illness have a responsibility to seek help, but that can be hard to do in a society that doesn't treat mental illness seriously enough and when insurance coverage for treatment is often very limited.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » August 29th, 2018, 11:33 am

Voor wrote:The mental health issue problem is where to draw the line. What if you are currently on anxiety meds? What if you took depression meds 2 years ago following the death of a loved one? What if you were in a psychiatric hospital 10 years ago as a teenager? What if you are on the higher end of asbergers (aka, spectrum disorder nowadays), capable of working, etc, but definitely have some “quirks” in your behavior?

In other words, what counts? Taking away a person’s rights is a HUGE deal, and much easier if past crimes are involved. But the mental health argument is a slippery slope for sure.

Again, I’m in agreement, but just trying to point out how complicated this issue is.

I agree that it's complicated, which is why a psychiatrist should be the one to make the decision, not the State. Think you are now capable of owning a gun even though you were previously denied due to a mental health condition? Go see a psychiatrist and get an evaluation.

I know it can be expensive and that the question of rights can get tricky, but with mental health and guns I feel that it's time to draw a harder line. And again, I think having a physician involved in this process is more objective than the State or a private entity accessing a customer's medical records and making a blanket judgment.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » August 29th, 2018, 5:36 pm

newmodelarmy wrote:Well I guess as long as it doesn't happen to you or somebody you love...no problem! Actually I don't think you are correct that this is happening less then decades ago. In 1989, as far as my research goes, there was ONE school shooting (in KY). Now there is about one or two a quarter. Now I did not do extensive research so fact check that yourself. The country is sick and we do not do enough to keep guns away from mentally ill people. We do everything we can to protect the privacy of people but it goes too far. Not to mention the fact that years ago people like this probably would have been locked up in a mental institution. I don't think we even have those anymore. I also think those who have guns, if not properly secured, should be held accountable for any murders that happen while using the weapons that they own. I am pretty far to the right but I cannot understand the fascination with guns...it's crazy in this country.

The reason I can never see my daughter again is because she was shot during the Baltimore riots in 2015. Tell me again how it doesn't happen to somebody I love. Less than 40% of the population has guns, it's hardly a fascination. I'm just saying it is INCREDIBLY rare for average people to experience this. You are far more likely to be shot by a cop while unarmed than mass shooter.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » August 29th, 2018, 6:07 pm

I come here to get away from this kind of stuff.

Voor

Postby Voor » August 29th, 2018, 7:23 pm

ptdebate wrote:
Voor wrote:The mental health issue problem is where to draw the line. What if you are currently on anxiety meds? What if you took depression meds 2 years ago following the death of a loved one? What if you were in a psychiatric hospital 10 years ago as a teenager? What if you are on the higher end of asbergers (aka, spectrum disorder nowadays), capable of working, etc, but definitely have some “quirks” in your behavior?

I agree that it's complicated, which is why a psychiatrist should be the one to make the decision, not the State. Think you are now capable of owning a gun even though you were previously denied due to a mental health condition? Go see a psychiatrist and get an evaluation.

I know it can be expensive and that the question of rights can get tricky, but with mental health and guns I feel that it's time to draw a harder line. And again, I think having a physician involved in this process is more objective than the State or a private entity accessing a customer's medical records and making a blanket judgment.

Another challenge will be finding doctors willing to do this. Imagine you’re a doctor and a person presents wanting a firearm, and you don’t see anything alarming , so you give him the thumbs up. The next week, he’s responsible for an episode of violence. Can you imagine the backlash? Even if everything seemed to be legit, the court of public opinion would come down hard on you.

But I agree it’s a step in the right direction....

Return to “Video Games General”