Super Mario World vs Donkey Kong Country

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat

Super Mario World vs Donkey Kong Country

Postby DaHeckIzDat » August 29th, 2018, 5:51 pm

Anyone else feel like the Donkey Kong Country games on SNES were better than Super Mario World? I grew up with DKC but never got a copy of SMW, so maybe it's nostalgia talking, but the better graphics, more atmospheric levels, and amazing soundtracks still impress me to this day. Each DKC game has a different setting and new types of levels, while Mario has been repeating the same basic formula for decades now.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: whoops, meant to put this in the classic games section.

Stalvern

Re: Super Mario World vs Donkey Kong Country

Postby Stalvern » August 30th, 2018, 1:15 am

Nah. Super Mario World's design is more creative and diverse, and the simple clarity of its graphics has aged more gracefully in general than the DK games' often plastic-like rendering (although there are specific levels that blow Super Mario World away – "atmospheric" is definitely the word). Music is a similar situation for me; Rare's fuller arrangements are often undercut by the coldness of the synthesizer tones they used. Still, Diddy's Kong Quest is a wonderful game, and I don't mean to slight it in this comparison at all.

(I'll take Super Metroid over both, though.)

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 30th, 2018, 2:23 pm

I'd agree with Stalvern. ...Although I should point out that I played SMW to death as a kid, whereas I was an adult when I finally tried DKC. Still, having beaten both games, and trying to look at them objectively, I think SMW is a much better game. To me, SMW is easily an A+ quality game and IMO the best 2D platformer ever (I prefer it over SMB3), while DKC is a solid B level platformer that gets a little more credit than it deserves.

DaHeckIzDat wrote:EDIT: whoops, meant to put this in the classic games section.

Took care of it, moved here from the Modern Gaming section.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » August 30th, 2018, 4:54 pm

Retro STrife wrote:I'd agree with Stalvern. ...Although I should point out that I played SMW to death as a kid, whereas I was an adult when I finally tried DKC.

Opposite situation with me. I knew a friend who had Donkey Kong Country, but the only 2D Mario games I played until getting into emulation years later were another friend's Super Mario Bros. 1 and 3.

strat

Postby strat » August 30th, 2018, 7:14 pm

They're both great games but I just prefer the basic gameplay of SMW. Plus the non-linearity gives it more of an adventuring feel.

DKC2 vs. Yoshi's Island would be a tougher call. There's no real tie-breaking quality in either game, except DKC2 might be more fun to casually rip through.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » August 30th, 2018, 7:32 pm

Donkey Kong Country. One of the few times in my life where I was just blown away by a game’s graphics. But Super Mario World is equally awesome. OK I’m going to be decisive and say they’re equally great. Unless you want me to think something else.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » September 7th, 2018, 5:04 am

Hmm... This is a tough one. I think I have to give the slight edge to Super Mario World, although DKC is more challenging and has better music. DKC2 I would put above SMW though. And Yoshi's Island is my favorite 2D platformer ever, so I would rank that above the rest.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » September 7th, 2018, 4:22 pm

Kirby's Dream Land 3 :lol:

No, in all seriousness, Mario World plays far better. The controls are so tight, it's such an incredible playing game. DKC is solid, but I think without it's fancy graphics people wouldn't think it's great, just an above average platformer. DKC 2 on the other hand, ran with the formula, and is in my opinion, the single greatest platformer ever MADE aside from Kirby's Dream Land 3.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 7th, 2018, 5:16 pm

I notice a lot of love for DKC 2 going on here. I've never played it, but now I'm intrigued, despite not being that big a fan of DKC 1. Is DKC 2 that much better than DKC 1? I notice the VGC deemed them about equal, giving a B+ to both. I do own DKC 2 and 3, so time is the only thing holding me back from trying it.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 7th, 2018, 5:26 pm

Most people rate them DKC 2 > 1 > 3. Personally I go 2 > 3 > 1 because I love the levels and music in 3 despite having to play as Kiddie Kong. But 2 is still the undisputed best of the trilogy. It has the best balance of gameplay between Diddy and Dixie, the music was AMAZING, and the levels managed to feel intimidating despite being about two monkeys jumping on crocodile heads. In fact, here are three of my favorite DKC2 tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qp0_NE8M1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IUXyzqrZsw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J67nkzoJ_2M

Return to “Classic Gaming”