Too many limited physical games not enough money and time!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Too many limited physical games not enough money and time!

Postby Sonicx9 » September 3rd, 2018, 1:51 pm

Is this me, or has their been way too many limited physical games coming out from Limited Run Games, Play Asia, Super Rare Games, Strictly Limited Games, Vblank, Fangamer, Special Reserve Games, etc. At first it was fun and unique, but now It getting very overwhelming and way too much with too many choices which is bad for the consumer, and to add insult to injury too much is coming out at once with not enough spread between releases as it is stressful and expensive over time, and worse if you did not get the stuff on time you have to deal with annoying scalpers which is not a good thing either.

I think this limited physical games movement bubble will burst sooner or later because you can only tap out customers for so long before they have enough with this of too many releases and not enough money and time and scalpers, etc, as this is a wonderful example of quantity over quality not being regulated and it shows. It is very similar to other video game bubbles that have burst in the past like the Music video game accessories fad game such as Guitar Hero and Rockband to the Toys-to-life games which are starting to die out, etc. Your guys two cents on this issue and what should I do in the future to get games if I am interested in these and not want to deal with scalpers, etc?

ActRaiser

Re: Too many limited physical games not enough money and time!

Postby ActRaiser » September 3rd, 2018, 2:52 pm

No

Only buy what you'd actually play. No where in the world does anyone else say consumers have too much choice.

Read the reviews before buying the games or get the cheaper, digital version. Having a choice is a wonderful option.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 3rd, 2018, 3:14 pm

ActRaiser wrote:No

Only buy what you'd actually play. No where in the world does anyone else say consumers have too much choice.

Read the reviews before buying the games or get the cheaper, digital version. Having a choice is a wonderful option.

Thanks for the advise, I will go for the ones that get a decent rep via Metacritic for both critics and users along with the genre of game if it is something that will interest or appeal to me.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » September 3rd, 2018, 3:41 pm

Why would too many be a problem? Isn't this the type of publishing you're always crusading for?

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 3rd, 2018, 4:11 pm

ptdebate wrote:Why would too many be a problem? Isn't this the type of publishing you're always crusading for?

I am true about that, but my problem is they release too many at once without spreading the release gaps because it is a criticism if too much comes out at once like people have been criticizing Telltale Games for doing way too much at once without balancing the release gaps. My ideal release gap is every two to three months because that what Limited Run Games did in the beginning if you look at the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_Run_Games that is my ideal release gap window as it reasonable for consumers and financially ideal because it does not tap out consumers right away.

Rev

Postby Rev » September 7th, 2018, 10:21 pm

I think this is mostly only a problem if you have to have them all. I think when you keep that mindset this can seem really overwhelming. However, I would have to agree that you should really just get the ones you really want. One of the good things to keep in mind is a lot of the limited release games aren't very good games in the first place. I would rather have a lot of options available then to have too few. Also, the more places that throw their hats into the rings, the more memorable games that become available.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 7th, 2018, 11:22 pm

Rev wrote:I think this is mostly only a problem if you have to have them all. I think when you keep that mindset this can seem really overwhelming. However, I would have to agree that you should really just get the ones you really want. One of the good things to keep in mind is a lot of the limited release games aren't very good games in the first place. I would rather have a lot of options available then to have too few. Also, the more places that throw their hats into the rings, the more memorable games that become available.

Good point, I only go for games that interest me in some form which is a fair way to do it rev.

Return to “Modern Gaming”