Super Ghouls and Ghosts

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat

Super Ghouls and Ghosts

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 13th, 2018, 8:51 pm

I broke out my SNES Classic the other day and tried Super Ghouls and Ghosts. Now I'm a huge fan of Dark Souls and Bloodborne, so obviously a game being hard doesn't bother me. SG&G, though, is too hard! Unfairly hard! There's no strategy or skill here, it's just an avalanche of enemies designed to kill you as quickly as possible. It doesn't help that the jumping controls are terrible, and you die in just two hits. How did this game become a classic? Who enjoys this crap?

JustLikeHeaven

Re: Super Ghouls and Ghosts

Postby JustLikeHeaven » September 14th, 2018, 9:54 am

*Raises hand*

While I much prefer the Genesis game, Super Ghouls and Ghosts is still very enjoyable. It's actually the topic of the next episode of my podcast, Dracula's Arcade (end shameless plug). While playing the game to get ready for the episode I actually finished it for the first time in my life. It is hard, but it is very playable.

My tips and hints:

Memorization: The enemies and treasure chests show up in the same spots. Like many classic games (especially one's based on arcade games) it's practically required to learn and memorize each stage.

Patience: Unlike many old school games, going slow and steady will tend to yield much greater results than simply rushing in lance blazing.

Weapon Selection: Don't listen to the AVGN about only relying on the dagger. The dagger is excellent overall, but each weapon is situational and can turn seemingly impossible sections into a cakewalk.

Armor Upgrades: If you manage to keep your armor there are certain chests each stage that will drop bronze (Green) and then golden armor. These upgrade your weapon and eventually give you a third hit point. The chests containing armor never change as long as you haven't taken a hit. Knowing where they are and how to cause them to appear (jumping around/exploring) can be key to succeeding as well.

I'm not going to lie and say it's an easy game. It's difficulty is legendary. However, much like Dark Souls forces players into thinking differently and adapting to the game's play-style...Super Ghouls and Ghosts does the same.

If you like the series, but want a more fair difficulty then get the Genesis game. It ditches the clunky double jump, the stages are shorter, and you can actually fire your weapon up or down. You lose the beautiful graphics and sound of the SNES game. However, you gain the much faster frame-rate and overall play-ability of the Genesis version.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » September 14th, 2018, 10:01 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I broke out my SNES Classic the other day and tried Super Ghouls and Ghosts. Now I'm a huge fan of Dark Souls and Bloodborne, so obviously a game being hard doesn't bother me. SG&G, though, is too hard! Unfairly hard! There's no strategy or skill here, it's just an avalanche of enemies designed to kill you as quickly as possible. It doesn't help that the jumping controls are terrible, and you die in just two hits. How did this game become a classic? Who enjoys this crap?

git gud

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » September 14th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:
DaHeckIzDat wrote:I broke out my SNES Classic the other day and tried Super Ghouls and Ghosts. Now I'm a huge fan of Dark Souls and Bloodborne, so obviously a game being hard doesn't bother me. SG&G, though, is too hard! Unfairly hard! There's no strategy or skill here, it's just an avalanche of enemies designed to kill you as quickly as possible. It doesn't help that the jumping controls are terrible, and you die in just two hits. How did this game become a classic? Who enjoys this crap?

git gud

Alright, if you're gonna play that card I need to see proof that you're good at SG&G :D

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » September 14th, 2018, 12:20 pm

Not only that, you have to play through the entire game twice in order to get the proper ending.

Actually, there are strategies. It just takes a lot of practice. I beat the game 10 years ago, after a week or two of effort. I sure can't do it now. IMO, NES Ghosts n Goblins is even harder and has worse controls.

Here's someone speedrunning it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un-yIih8xP0

GTS

Postby GTS » September 14th, 2018, 4:14 pm

I am a huge fan of the NES, Genesis, and SNES games in the series. Yes, Super is hard, but finding the right weapon and locating the treasure chests helps.

I disagree that there's "no strategy or skill here," each time I die I feel like it is my own fault.

I will say that the raft part is where I usually stop playing because it's way too long of a stage. When you die you have to slug through it all over again.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » September 14th, 2018, 4:21 pm

I can remember getting through it at least once after a full day of trying and not turning the SNES off overnight. I don't think I made it through a second time.

Of course, with most traumatic experiences you tend to forget them to cope. I do know I'm not about to try that crap again. :)

Voor

Postby Voor » September 14th, 2018, 10:31 pm

I really enjoyed watching James and Mike plow through this game:

https://youtu.be/EexjhlMumjg

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 15th, 2018, 10:20 am

I have been in the process of re-reviewing this one for the past year or so. My current review is dated 1999!

I love the audio/visual quality of the game, but the gameplay certainly has some major flaws. Have you ever noticed how the spacing when jumping is bad? When you reach a column and double-jump, you end up jumping OVER it instead of on top. Most of the time you want to be on top. The slow-down is pretty bad, and the checkpoints are ridiculous.

Still, you can make progress if you keep plugging away. And the fact that you keep your weapon after continuing is nice.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » September 15th, 2018, 10:59 am

Super Ghouls & Ghosts is around an 8/10 on the challenge scale, is not as hard as the original Ghosts n Goblins on the Arcade/NES.

To be honest, only a few segments of this game reveal the shortcomings of the double jump. Most of the time it is okay. The greatest flaw with this game is that the previous one (Ghouls and Ghosts) exists. It is a classic that set the bar high. I am not sure why Capcom decided to design a new game versus a simple redesign of the original Ghouls and Ghosts for the SNES. Original game plus a few extra levels (like the ice one from Super Ghouls and Ghosts), we may have had a classic on our hands. The one flaw of the original Ghouls and Ghosts is that it is somewhat short lived.

In any case, Super Ghouls & Ghosts is an excellent game that is brought down a peg by a few control issues and slowdown, but it is not completely marred by it. Perseverance is recommended over abandonment.

Return to “Classic Gaming”