US Open Tennis Controversy

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

US Open Tennis Controversy

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 8th, 2018, 8:53 pm

I'm a HUGE tennis fan (watch and play) but the women's final of the US Open really bummed me out. I felt like Serena Williams was really a bad sport the way she broke her racket and then berated the ref. It paved the way to her defeat, but frankly it looked like she was going to lose anyway.

Poor Naomi Osaka. This should have been her moment of glory, but it was all about Serena. Naomi actually felt compelled to apologize during her trophy ceremony. She was crying! I can't believe the crowd could boo the first grand slam victory of that young 20 year old girl! Who the heck ARE these people? They should be ashamed. I can't imagine what people in other countries are thinking.

Then during the press conference Serena tries to turn it into a women's issue. And people are actually defending her. It's funny how people can watch the same thing and come to two opposite conclusions.

matmico399

Re: US Open Tennis Controversy

Postby matmico399 » September 9th, 2018, 10:44 am

Didn't watch it as I was too into college football and join the game. But I read about it online, that is truly a shame and embarrassment.

Voor

Postby Voor » September 10th, 2018, 6:16 pm

I lost a ton of respect for Serena. That story of standing up for women’s rights was just BS. I would maybe believe it if she had started that discussion in the off season, but in the middle of a match she’s losing? Nah....sore loser.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » September 16th, 2018, 11:29 am

She must have taken notes from Colin Kaepernick. :roll:

Sut

Postby Sut » September 16th, 2018, 1:18 pm

It’s sad that today any adversity is excused by an ‘ism’ Serena couldn’t use the race card as her opponent wasn’t white so she went for the sexism card. Pathetic.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » September 16th, 2018, 2:50 pm

What a crybaby she was! Such is today's world and the entitlement mentality.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 16th, 2018, 2:58 pm

And she created a new card: The Mother Card.

How dare you question her! She's a MOTHER!!

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » September 17th, 2018, 5:23 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:And she created a new card: The Mother Card.

How dare you question her! She's a MOTHER!!

It's the age we live in VGC! People are not accountable for their actions, it's about sex, race or something else. Serena was a complete @ss and the ref did his job. It is completely disgusting to me that people support Serena's behaivor but I am not surprised...everybody is a victim in this country, even the perpetrators!

bluenote

Postby bluenote » September 17th, 2018, 9:39 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm a HUGE tennis fan (watch and play) but the women's final of the US Open really bummed me out. I felt like Serena Williams was really a bad sport the way she broke her racket and then berated the ref. It paved the way to her defeat, but frankly it looked like she was going to lose anyway.

Poor Naomi Osaka. This should have been her moment of glory, but it was all about Serena. Naomi actually felt compelled to apologize during her trophy ceremony. She was crying! I can't believe the crowd could boo the first grand slam victory of that young 20 year old girl! Who the heck ARE these people? They should be ashamed. I can't imagine what people in other countries are thinking.

Then during the press conference Serena tries to turn it into a women's issue. And people are actually defending her. It's funny how people can watch the same thing and come to two opposite conclusions.

I don't think she was a bad sport. It was a championship match, and you're getting bad calls against you. Sport is very emotional. You see outbursts like that in all sports. When you play at that level, emotions sometimes get the better of you. Does anyone remember McEnroe???? Andy Murray? Jimmy Connors??

I don't believe there was any sexism though, but I do believe it was bad officiating. He made the coaches penalty call, and that is hardly ever called. Also, she called him a thief and that resulted in another penalty. Really? A thief??? Tennis players (yes, mostly men) have called refs A LOT worse and have said pretty nasty things and would only get a warning. I really think the ref (just like athletes) had an off game.

I'm a big hockey fan and I read the Ray Scapinello (legendary former NHL linesman) book, and it's really fascinating to understand how refs have to read the mood of the game and call it accordingly. He also details how sometimes refs have off nights, and how they are as much of the game as the athletes themselves. It really is interesting and gives you a new perspective on officials.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » September 17th, 2018, 2:05 pm

Not sure if there isn't a double standard here. When John McEnroe (or Jimmy Connors) went nuts on the refs, many fans cheered them on, saying stuff like "Yeah, give it to the ref!"

Calling a ref a liar and a thief is certainly uncalled for, and maybe she did deserve a game penalty, but like I said, I've seen other...sorry, white male tennis players go bonkers and they get a pat on the back. Just sayin'.

Note: Wish we didn't have these types of conversations here. I know I know I can just ignore this thread but Serena will lead to Kap and I have more than enough platforms to discuss that. But this is my happy place. I hope it can stay that way.

Return to “Other Media”