Games so bad you have to shut it off

General and high profile video game topics.
CaptainCruch

Re: Games so bad you have to shut it off

Postby CaptainCruch » October 2nd, 2018, 4:39 pm

Robotrek wrote:AVGN Adventures.

It's nothing but trial and error BS. It's not even remotely fun. Only the most rabid fans of the horribly unfunny nerd could find this funny. If they love bad videos, they'll love a bad video game!

Is that ironic? I enjoyed it.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » October 3rd, 2018, 8:45 am

Stalvern wrote:
zetax wrote:This reminded me of the Dreamcast game Kiss: Psycho Circus. Holy crap...what a cluster... Not fun, clunky, never got very far into it because I just gave up.

Huh. I've actually heard good things about that one... but I also know that it was made by people from the Daikatana development team.

I really liked it. I completed it on Dreamcast. Though there was no mouse support or online play which were both available on the pc. You had four characters each with their own unique play style. Which was so unlike kiss pinball 2 tables, s*** graphics and no kiss music unless you stuck in a disc.

zetax

Postby zetax » October 3rd, 2018, 9:37 am

GameOfThrones wrote:
Stalvern wrote:
zetax wrote:This reminded me of the Dreamcast game Kiss: Psycho Circus. Holy crap...what a cluster... Not fun, clunky, never got very far into it because I just gave up.

Huh. I've actually heard good things about that one... but I also know that it was made by people from the Daikatana development team.

I really liked it. I completed it on Dreamcast. Though there was no mouse support or online play which were both available on the pc. You had four characters each with their own unique play style. Which was so unlike kiss pinball 2 tables, s*** graphics and no kiss music unless you stuck in a disc.

Wow, rather positive responses to this game. Guess I need to give it another go (it has been probably close to 15 years since I tried it) I just remember it being slow and ugly, compared to Unreal Tournament and Quake 3. Stuck in a dark bar with a slow sword and a bunch of clicky spider things... I'll give it another shot.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » October 3rd, 2018, 2:09 pm

[quote="CaptainCruch"]Rise of the Robots (Sega Genesis) - I can control it, but the fun disappears within seconds.

That's more than what I can do with it. And as hard as it is to believe, I find the Playstation version even worse. I could win fairly easily enough. But I had no luck at all doing any of the special moves.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » October 3rd, 2018, 2:28 pm

I just thought of a few more NES games that I just can't sit down and play without shutting 'em off. And it may be tantamount to treason to even say it. But to me, some of those "Black Box" games are borderline unplayable. Specifically the sports titles. Base ball and Soccer, in particular, are so boring and slow, that it feels like a chore to even get through one inning or half. And to think that they were considered cutting edge back in the day. They're a step up from some of the earlier sports games that came out before them on older consoles. But that's about it.

Actually, now that I think of it, I'd rather play an old 2600 sports title over these two clunkers any day...

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » October 3rd, 2018, 5:18 pm

lynchie137 wrote:I just thought of a few more NES games that I just can't sit down and play without shutting 'em off. And it may be tantamount to treason to even say it. But to me, some of those "Black Box" games are borderline unplayable. Specifically the sports titles. Base ball and Soccer, in particular, are so boring and slow, that it feels like a chore to even get through one inning or half. And to think that they were considered cutting edge back in the day. They're a step up from some of the earlier sports games that came out before them on older consoles. But that's about it.

Actually, now that I think of it, I'd rather play an old 2600 sports title over these two clunkers any day...

I played Baseball and Soccer for weekly contests on NintendoAge. Baseball is beyond awful, with no reason for anyone to play it now except for nostalgia. Soccer is just boring. But I don't care for sports games to begin with.

I also can't stand black box Golf or any golf video games for that matter.

VicViper

Postby VicViper » October 3rd, 2018, 6:09 pm

TheBlondeGamePunk3 wrote:PowerSlave on Playstation. Need I say more? This version may have better controls than the Saturn version but it's just too hard..

Debatable, at least the Saturn version had some form of auto-aiming, on Playstation you miss way too often, you gotta be near pixel-perfect for small targets.

S. P. Sour

Postby S. P. Sour » October 4th, 2018, 12:12 am

mbd36 wrote:I also can't stand black box Golf or any golf video games for that matter.

I've enjoyed some golf games, like Namco's Namco Classic or Nintendo's own Golf: US Course for the Famicom Disk System. But I agree that some are real stinkers. Case in point...

One contender for the worst video game I've ever played is Jack Nicklaus' 18 Holes of Championship Golf (or something like that) for the NES. I bought it solely for the fact that I found it for cheap (read: bargain bin).
The title screen looked cool. It had an ok graphic of the guy's dopey face (Jack Nicklaus I guess), and when you press start, a slurred sampled voice says "Great shot!" which amazed me at the time as I had never heard voices in an NES game before. But everything goes downhill after that.

You have to enter in a bunch of useless information right at the beginning, which is kind of cool but ultimately pointless so it just wastes time. Once you start golfing, the real problem becomes apparent immediately. To render one screen of the game takes a full 15 seconds. You can literally watch it load in different sections of terrain at a leisurely pace, only to form a pretty small view of the playing area. If you try to rotate for a different angle, which doesn't take long in every other golfing game, guess what, same thing again. Finally hit the ball and it lands somewhere, same thing again. I cannot imagine playing 18 holes like that, much less any more than one at all.

I don't know if this thread's title was intended to be literal, but in my case, I definitely turned it off pretty quickly. Some games are worth the weird trouble and delays they put you through, like certain RPGs, but having to spend any more time or effort than necessary on a golf game is just insulting.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » October 7th, 2018, 10:13 pm

I played Baseball and Soccer for weekly contests on NintendoAge. Baseball is beyond awful, with no reason for anyone to play it now except for nostalgia. Soccer is just boring. But I don't care for sports games to begin with.

I also can't stand black box Golf or any golf video games for that matter.[/quote]

Really? I don't mind NES Golf. Sure, it's no classic. And I must admit I'm pretty terrible at it. But for some reason or another I do have a pretty good time playing through it when I sit down with it.

Two golf games I can't stand, however, are Atari Golf and Miniature Golf for the 2600. Both are so utterly reprehensible and unplayable that I have a hard time playing both of them for even five minutes at a time. Just pure, pure rubbish, those two.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » October 7th, 2018, 10:14 pm

Herschie wrote:That's like asking if any one of us has ever drank a Coke. One game that comes to mind was "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" on the NES. Now you have to understand that I dressed as Indiana Jones for Halloween when I was eight. Actually, I wanted to be Colonel Vogel, which promptly led to an early history lesson from my parents. Anyway, m mom used to take me to Blockbuster every weekend, and they had a TCBY where we'd get a frozen yogurt to boot. Often I'd rent Indy, yet I never owned it. It was a cool game with decent graphics, with music and cutscenes taken from the movie. And it followed the movie quite well.

So when I was 17, I wanted to find it at Funcoland. It wasn't a very common game, so it took some calling around. This one about a half hour away had a copy, so after agreeing to cut the grass, my parents let me use the car to go grab it. They were nice enough to hold the game for me, and I was ecstatic that I had finally found it.

I got it home, and was majorly let down. Unbeknownst to me, there were two versions of the game. The one I remembered was the decent Taito version. Unfortunately, the one I had was made by Ubisoft. I won't say much about either game because Critic's reviews were dead on: http://videogamecritic.com/nesil.htm?e=45353#rev1720

I think a girl I liked called after that. She wanted to get together, but I was grounded. At least I had Ocarina of Time to keep me busy.

I have to ask. Why were there two different versions of this game?

Return to “Video Games General”