A good article on the recent Tomb Raider games hard M content?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

A good article on the recent Tomb Raider games hard M content?

Postby Sonicx9 » October 19th, 2018, 2:24 pm

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/20 ... animations

It talks about the hard M content being unnecessary and does not fit the franchise, especially when it used to be mostly T at one time. Also, does this explain why the 2018 movie was toned down to PG-13 with similar content and could have the 3 2013 series games passed as a T rating if the gory death animations/F-Bombs where cut out. And would this help sales going back to a T rating because both Uncharted 4 and the 2018 Spider Man game outsold the 2nd and 3rd games in a landslide, which is rather ironic considering more M rated games sell more then T rated games.: www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/02 ... ecies/amp/.

I understand they made the recent games more realistic because they criticized the older games being too unrealistic. But they went from one extreme to another. Uncharted does it right of being realistic, but also fun and lighthearted with some dark elements but not earth shattering like the recent Tomb Raider series.

Heck some people like the critic and other older Tomb Raider fans pre the 2013 have thought the hard M content of the recent games as a turn off as said from a quote "One complaint I have however is the strong profanity and gruesome violence. Is this really necessary? I suppose the developers are trying to be edgy by pushing the limits, but to me it's a real turn-off."

It a good read as some think the franchise should go back to a T rating as it does not work for that franchise based on the recent sales figures.

DrLitch

Re: A good article on the recent Tomb Raider games hard M content?

Postby DrLitch » October 20th, 2018, 10:06 am

I am not against mature content if application matches the scenario (i.e. Mafia or GTA etc would feel wrong if developers utilized polite well spoken gangsters).

Tomb Raider unfortunately has gratuitous use of profanity and gore when it is completely unnecessary. To me, for a game such as this, I have to assume the developers are short on ideas or have a misguided notion of what constitutes the fan base of the game.

Rev

Postby Rev » October 20th, 2018, 11:05 am

Hmmm...So I read the articles and I really don't agree... Now, keep in mind I play more retro games then I do current gen games but one series I have actually played a lot of is the first two new Tomb Raider games... I don't know if it is because I watch a lot of horror movies (maybe that's the case) but the mature content has never bothered me at all. It's not like Laura is dropped F bombs left and right or anything like that. Instead, the mature content comes from the death scenes and the hordes of people she murders. Compare that to Last of Us, which also was quite gory, and no one was complaining when Ellie and Joel were murdering people.

I guess you could say that Last of Us is a darker game, since it is an apocalyptic world with zombie-like creatures running around, but they killed more normal people than the creatures. To me, I guess it makes sense and I never questioned it. Laura is jumping from high place to high place, climbing up mountains, fighting off a ton of people.. If she misses a jump and falls off a mountain, why not include the death scene? I think the game would seem pretty weird if she missed a jump and then suddenly the game just faded to black and a big Continue sign appeared. The games are also quite decent action games, where you are upgrading your weapons constantly, getting new upgrades and finding new powerful weapons. If the game didn't show any gore wouldn't that kind of diminish the power of the weapons you are constantly finding. Is this more of an issue with the gore or with the gameplay being less about exploring tombs?

Dunno... I could very well be wrong but that is my perspective.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 20th, 2018, 1:07 pm

DrLitch wrote:I am not against mature content if application matches the scenario (i.e. Mafia or GTA etc would feel wrong if developers utilized polite well spoken gangsters).

Tomb Raider unfortunately has gratuitous use of profanity and gore when it is completely unnecessary. To me, for a game such as this, I have to assume the developers are short on ideas or have a misguided notion of what constitutes the fan base of the game.

Good point, it fine when it matches the scenario and/or franchise, examples (GTA, South Park games, Doom, Mortal Kombat, etc). But series like Tomb Raider where never about content like this which is both out of place and unnecessary and a turn of for fans of the pre-2013 era games.

Return to “Modern Gaming”