High Def Sega!

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Alucard1191

Re: High Def Sega!

Postby Alucard1191 » October 20th, 2018, 9:03 pm

I don't actually own a sega genesis console but I've been wanting to add one to my collection. (It was one of the systems that I was forced to give up in my youth.) Sonic's Ultimate Collection on my 360 is great for the basics, but playing Mutant League Football or Rocket Knight Adventures isn't an option right now. This looks really good. They've done this for other systems too? I have been thinking about replacing my NES as well, (mine doesn't work) maybe getting these remakes is a good idea? Do they have save states or anything like that? Or is it just a nice mega compatible HD Genesis?

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » October 20th, 2018, 10:22 pm

Alucard1191 wrote:I don't actually own a sega genesis console but I've been wanting to add one to my collection. (It was one of the systems that I was forced to give up in my youth.) Sonic's Ultimate Collection on my 360 is great for the basics, but playing Mutant League Football or Rocket Knight Adventures isn't an option right now. This looks really good. They've done this for other systems too? I have been thinking about replacing my NES as well, (mine doesn't work) maybe getting these remakes is a good idea? Do they have save states or anything like that? Or is it just a nice mega compatible HD Genesis?

So, with the developer's insistence on accuracy to the original experience, there are no save states with Analogue consoles. I personally find it to be a good thing because it forces you to beat the games as the original designers intended, whereas savestates make every game easy.

I would highly recommend you check it out. The NES version is currently out of stock - no word on when it will be back in production - but I've heard there is a way to load the NES core into the Super Nt via custom firmware.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » October 26th, 2018, 5:26 pm

I doubt the extremely expensive NT Mini will ever be back. I strongly suspect though that a sub-$200 successor will appear one of these days, built to standards more in line with the Super NT and Mega SG.

How do you load the NES firmware onto the Super NT? Would love to be able to do that, but it's never been discussed that I've seen in the giant Analogue/FPGA thread at AtariAge. I don't read every last post though, so it could've easily snuck past me.

JWK

Postby JWK » November 1st, 2018, 10:34 pm

I recognize that this isn’t the right place to ask this, but how are people liking the RetroUSB AVS? I *love* Analogue’s stuff as they are committed to accuracy, but the NT was already out of my price range to begin with at $500. It’s aftermarket price is just ridiculous, so I’ve been interested in the AVS instead.

I’m in love with the Super NT. And the Mega SG is a must buy, barring some unforeseen problem, which is unlikely.

noah98

Postby noah98 » April 13th, 2019, 6:23 pm

JWK wrote:I recognize that this isn’t the right place to ask this, but how are people liking the RetroUSB AVS? I *love* Analogue’s stuff as they are committed to accuracy, but the NT was already out of my price range to begin with at $500. It’s aftermarket price is just ridiculous, so I’ve been interested in the AVS instead.

I’m in love with the Super NT. And the Mega SG is a must buy, barring some unforeseen problem, which is unlikely.

The AVS is a really nice system now after a couple hardware fixes since the first batch and the latest firmware. The only area it performs slightly behind the Analogue FPGA consoles is that it is only 720p. That's fine if you play on a 4K TV and use scanlines. Otherwise, on a 1080p TV it's not quite as nice, but still really amazing.

On another note, I finally got my Mega SG and holy crap is it amazing! With the easy to flash custom firmware you can play games directly off of the sd card. It plays Genesis, Master System, SG-1000, Game Gear, and Colecovision flawlessly. It's also works really well with my Model 2 Sega-CD. You can even change the bios in settings and play import Sega CD's. And, since the Sega CD has no copy protection, you can burn your own discs and test them out.

I can't begin to describe how well games look. You can just play right out of the box and have a great time, or you can tweak the audio and video to a staggering degree if that's your thing.

I still love my Retrofreak console, and it's the best way to play Turbografx-16/PC Engine, Gameboy Advance, and Gameboy Color games on a modern TV with HDMI (not including the more expensive Framemeister type options of course). But, I no longer use it for systems with an FPGA alternative.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » April 14th, 2019, 2:46 am

I just played a game of Madden 94 on Genesis via SCART cable. Looked very sharp and is basically HD.

noah98

Postby noah98 » April 14th, 2019, 7:00 am

Herschie wrote:I just played a game of Madden 94 on Genesis via SCART cable. Looked very sharp and is basically HD.

I wish modern US Tv's had scart connections. Or, a readily available and cheap scart to hdmi converter with no lag. Lag is a killer fo retro games. One thing I noticed about the Mega SG is no perceivable lag. I can definitely tell the difference compared with my Retrofreak, even though the Retrofreak is pretty good with lag.

Return to “Classic Gaming”