Hard Pass from me on PS1 Classic

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Matchstick

Re: Hard Pass from me on PS1 Classic

Postby Matchstick » October 29th, 2018, 10:42 pm

Retro STrife wrote:Here's the full list for anyone wondering:

Battle Arena Toshinden
Cool Boarders 2
Destruction Derby
Final Fantasy VII
Grand Theft Auto
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash
Metal Gear Solid
Mr Driller
Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
Rayman
Resident Evil Director’s Cut
Revelations: Persona
Ridge Racer Type 4
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
Twisted Metal
Wild Arms

This list is disappointing on so many levels.

For starters, most of us figured that Symphony of the Night was a given. Not to start off complaining about what's not there, but man, what an oversight! The only reason I can think for its absence is that Sony is pressuring current users to buy the PS4 version instead. Seems strange that Konami would be on board with MGS and Mr. Effin' Driller, but not SOTN or Silent Hill. All three should have been there, at least in this region.

I am glad that some of the earliest first-gen titles got some love. Toshinden, Destruction Derby, and Jumping Flash are all games that impressed me when the system launched, and it's good to see them get a little respect here. Even the OG Rayman seems like a good fit. But geez, what a huge whiff on not including WarHawk. That game, all by itself, made me want a Playstation, and it's a shame to not see it listed here.

Nice to see Tekken 3 and Final Fantasy 7, as those are also two games that most of us figured were a given to be included. Not having analog sticks on the controllers won't affect them much, either. Same goes for Oddworld, Wild Arms, and Persona.

On the other hand, Syphon Filter and R4 practically require analog support. I think The Critic even mentioned in his review of R4 that the game just doesn't control well with the d-pad alone. I can't imagine playing Syphon Filter without it, either. Oooh, boy...

GTA and Rainbow 6 are total throwaways. Both games are noted for having notoriously bad PS1 ports. Rainbow 6, especially, was on every system back in the day (even the Game Boy Color!) but most would agree that the PC is the only way to play, maybe the Dreamcast version, too. I did play Rainbow 6 on the PS1 and N64, and it was not a great experience. I did manage to make it through the N64 version, but the PS1 one just made me tap out. A good candidate for that "games that made you quit" thread from a few days ago.

For the rest of the list, I'll echo what a few others have said. To have the original Resident Evil and Twisted Metal is nice, but most of us would rather have one of their sequels. And Puzzle Fighter... are you kidding me? Capcom puts one of their mid-90's arcade titles on this list, and we get Puzzle Fighter?? I was hoping for Darkstalkers (a PS1 exclusive back in the day) or Street Fighter Alpha 2, but man, Puzzle Fighter just seems like a slap in the face. Oh, well.

No great loss here. I wasn't planning on buying one before, and certainly am not now. Mark my words, though, they will release another one of these down the line, one with analog controllers and a fresh slate of later games. My guess is they'll call it the "PSOne Classic." I'm sure we'll see a PS2 Classic at some point, as well, but I'd rather have a few more years go by before we start calling anything from that generation "classic," you know? No need to make me feel older than I already do!

Voor

Postby Voor » October 29th, 2018, 10:49 pm

I’ve never owned a PlayStation, so I was interested. Some of these games appeal to me—particularly Oddworld and MGS and Syphon Filter, but I’m very disappointed no SOTN.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 29th, 2018, 11:39 pm

This list is bizarre. When I think of the original Playstation, I think of Ridge Racer (the original Playstation pack-in) and Crash Bandicoot (the PS1 mascot). I can only assume music licensing issues are playing a role. That seems to be a big sticking point when it comes to bringing back old games. Also, no analog controls?

I am kind of curious how these games look in HD. The first-generation of polygon games have the potential to look downright ugly on the big screen. I wonder if there will be filters you can apply.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 30th, 2018, 12:07 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:This list is bizarre. When I think of the original Playstation, I think of Ridge Racer (the original Playstation pack-in) and Crash Bandicoot (the PS1 mascot). I can only assume music licensing issues are playing a role. That seems to be a big sticking point when it comes to bringing back old games. Also, no analog controls?

I am kind of curious how these games look in HD. The first-generation of polygon games have the potential to look downright ugly on the big screen. I wonder if there will be filters you can apply.

You know whats odd, when the Nintendo Switch has more respect for the classic Crash Bandicoot then PS1 Classic, it sad but true!

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » October 30th, 2018, 7:12 am

The lack of critical PS1 RPGs is a huge fail.

Rev

Postby Rev » October 30th, 2018, 8:52 am

This list isn't the best. There are definite classics in there but as far as games go, this is a pretty big miss. If I was compiling a list of PS1 games to make for the PS1 Classic one of the first questions I'd ask is "what PS1 games have aged the best" and then built a list from there. Like the critic mentioned, many of the 3D PS1 games do not look great in HD so shooting for at least a few 2D games would be on the top of my list.

I'm wondering how much modern remakes and ports played into this list. Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, SOTN, and quite a few others have either been remade or ported recently. I could see that potentially being a factor in what games made the console. Either way, this is a pretty depressing list.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 30th, 2018, 8:59 am

Imagine the dismay for modern gamers if they go back and try the original Grand Theft Auto. What an awful series before GTA III.

TheBlondeGamePunk3

Postby TheBlondeGamePunk3 » October 30th, 2018, 9:53 am

That doesn't inspire confidence one bit with the possible N64 classic either if true.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » October 30th, 2018, 3:23 pm

TheBlondeGamePunk3 wrote:That doesn't inspire confidence one bit with the possible N64 classic either if true.

I don’t think it’ll be an issue with N64, because anybody who knows about licensing issues and who owns what can pinpoint the library from a mile away.

Out of the Question:

-any WCW/WWF game.
-Goldeneye
-Turok
-Mortal Kombat 4/Trilogy
-Tony Hawk

Not Bloody Likely

-anything from Rare, save for Duffy Kong Racing and DK64.
-games from THQ, or any company that no longer exists.

Could Happen:

-Wave Race 64
-Excitebike 64

These three could run into licensing issues.

Guaranteed

-Mario 64
-Starfox 64
-Paper Mario
-Ocarina of Time
-F-Zero X
-Smash Bros.
-any one of the 3 Mario Parties
-MARIO Kart 64
-Mario Tennis
-Mario Golf
Pilotwings 64
-any of the Pokémon Games
-Kirby 64

The irony of the fact that Nintendo lost a significant part of their third party support during the N64 era is that it makes for a more predictably successful Classic console, when it’s finally announced, because the console’s best games were their own.

Voor

Postby Voor » October 30th, 2018, 8:12 pm

Re: the 64 Classic, if they sold it with just Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Mario party, 2 controllers, and called it the Nintendo Party Machine for $69, I’d buy that in a second.

Heck, Xbox could do that with just Halo and 2 controllers for $59 and I’d be happy.

One thing: y’all mentioned Twisted Metal and Resident Evil. I thought it was impressive that Nintendo included Mega Man 2 on the NES Classic, recognizing that it’s the superior game.

Im still considering this just to play MGS and FF7 for the first time, and Oddworld again.

Actually, of all PS games I missed, maybe I should hold out for the Ps2 Classic to finally play shadows of the Colosuss

Return to “Classic Gaming”