Oh good God they're making another Bubsy game!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Oh good God they're making another Bubsy game!

Postby Sonicx9 » October 30th, 2018, 11:09 pm

https://www.destructoid.com/oh-good-god ... 9164.phtml

One word, Nooooooooo!!!

Who asked for this, no one and most unusual a Switch port dispite the previous game skipping the said system.

This is the critics worst nightmare ever.

BanjoPickles

Re: Oh good God they're making another Bubsy game!

Postby BanjoPickles » October 31st, 2018, 2:30 pm

Really, as somebody who was there for the original game, the series tends to get an unfair shake (I blame it on Internetitis, which has been unusually harsh on what would otherwise be considered average games). Bubsy 1 was no masterpiece, but it was mediocre at worst. Bubsy 1 and 2 were so-so, the Jaguar game was fairly awful, and Bubsy 3D was atrocious, but it's not like the entire series is an unplayable mess.

Honestly, even though I don't see a reason to download it myself, I welcome these games that serve as a window into the past, and also confirmation that the gaming realm of 2018 is big enough for everyone and everything. This is the sort of inoffensive game that I would probably download for my daughter. These sorts of rereleases, in a way, are pretty awesome! Who would have expected games like Double Switch, Night Trap, Flashback, and so many others to ever see the light of day again? It's really a classic case of "if you don't like it, don't buy it." Bubsy isn't harming, or helping, the industry so it's all good.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 31st, 2018, 3:26 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:Honestly, even though I don't see a reason to download it myself, I welcome these games that serve as a window into the past, and also confirmation that the gaming realm of 2018 is big enough for everyone and everything.

Not really a "window into the past" as much as it is an unrelated game with the same branding. For better or worse, it is impossible to mistake these new games for the 16-bit ones.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 31st, 2018, 4:26 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:Really, as somebody who was there for the original game, the series tends to get an unfair shake (I blame it on Internetitis, which has been unusually harsh on what would otherwise be considered average games). Bubsy 1 was no masterpiece, but it was mediocre at worst. Bubsy 1 and 2 were so-so, the Jaguar game was fairly awful, and Bubsy 3D was atrocious, but it's not like the entire series is an unplayable mess.

Honestly, even though I don't see a reason to download it myself, I welcome these games that serve as a window into the past, and also confirmation that the gaming realm of 2018 is big enough for everyone and everything. This is the sort of inoffensive game that I would probably download for my daughter. These sorts of rereleases, in a way, are pretty awesome! Who would have expected games like Double Switch, Night Trap, Flashback, and so many others to ever see the light of day again? It's really a classic case of "if you don't like it, don't buy it." Bubsy isn't harming, or helping, the industry so it's all good.

It just a unusual that after the poorly received Bubsy game from last year. Why make another, apparently it sold well enough to greenlit a sequel which is sad and lame.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » October 31st, 2018, 4:35 pm

Did anyone actually watch the trailer? It doesn't look like it will necessarily be a bad game.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 31st, 2018, 5:30 pm

C64_Critic wrote:Did anyone actually watch the trailer? It doesn't look like it will necessarily be a bad game.

I did, it just doesn't look to promising coming off of the god awful PS4 Bubsy game from last year. (In which I had the unfortunate opportunity of plating and disliking.)

It may be better because of it being a different dev and type of game, but holding low expectations.

GTS

Postby GTS » October 31st, 2018, 8:17 pm

I'll reserve judgement until I hear the reviews. Looks promising though. I love the idea of "bad" franchises continuing. If they did an enhanced remake of ET 2600, I honestly think it would sell like hotcakes. Kickstarter anyone?

I agree with Banjopickles that that the hate toward the Bubsy series comes mainly from the Internet mob instead of people who have actually played the game. The Internet consensus about Bubsy 3D is 100% correct though

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 1st, 2018, 8:24 am

Yeah, I remember renting Bubsy for the SNES. It wasn't any worse than any of the other random platfomers at the time. For a couple of bucks it wet my whistle for a rental.

Return to “Modern Gaming”