The FINAL Super Smash Brothers Ultimate Direct (Spoilers)

General and high profile video game topics.
TheBlondeGamePunk3

The FINAL Super Smash Brothers Ultimate Direct (Spoilers)

Postby TheBlondeGamePunk3 » November 1st, 2018, 12:43 pm

My my my, Nintendo really did a show stopper today, 8-), They revealed Ken and Incenroar as the final 2 characters of the roster while also teasing the story mode of the game:World Of Light and it is somewhat on track similarly to SSB Brawl's Subspace Emissary but the thing that has people roaring with laugher and disbelief? Piranha Plant, One of Mario's most iconic characters...is a free bonus fighter (or later paid dlc) as the overall 76th character in game.

I think Nintendo is betting every dollar and every cent on this games success, You believe that this game will be the hot topic of not just December but also next year? (5 DLC characters, music, and stages were also announced) :cry: :!: :mrgreen:

Gentlegamer

Re: The FINAL Super Smash Brothers Ultimate Direct (Spoilers)

Postby Gentlegamer » November 1st, 2018, 1:41 pm

How can there be spoilers for a fighting game?

Voor

Postby Voor » November 2nd, 2018, 7:07 am

Yeah, it’s amazing the amount of content they are putting into this game. I’m curious how it will fare agains Melee, which most still consider the best, when it comes down to the fighting tech.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » December 3rd, 2018, 4:04 pm

so the new Smash Brothers game comes out in a few days, who's excited? I just finished Subspace Emissary in Brawl, and I think that's my favorite in the series. I was just better at that game than melee. I like the 3ds version, if only for the fact that it's handheld. I enjoy the minigames, but I wasn't too crazy that instead of Break the targets, which was awesome, we got this Target Smash minigame in the 3ds/wiiu games, which was pretty good, but not as great as Break the targets.

As far as the new game, I've casually read about it. I haven't watched any of the directs or anything. I find it a good 'go-to' series when I don't know what I want to play; it's always fun to pop in some smash. It also seems like a series that I either have a lot of fun with, or I'm like 'meh.' It all depends on my mood I guess.

I've seen some people get really into the directs and all the new info about the series, like "ooh, this character has to be in it, and this character, and that character...,' and I think I've read from people on this forum who just don't "get" the idea behind the series, or just don't 'get' why it's fun. I may get the new game.

Voor

Postby Voor » December 3rd, 2018, 8:12 pm

I have this same reaction—sometimes lots of fun, sometimes kind of boring. Probably depends who you’re playing against and their skill level.

I’m most familiar with the 64 version and spent some time playing Melee. Never played Brawl, so I’m thinking of picking up Brawl for the kids. Random question: how playable is Brawl with the Wiimote held sideways like an NES controller? My kids aren’t fond of other Wii control schemes.

Another question: are online matches available on the 3DS version? I’ve been considering a 2DSxl...

VicViper

Postby VicViper » December 4th, 2018, 3:08 am

Voor wrote:I have this same reaction—sometimes lots of fun, sometimes kind of boring. Probably depends who you’re playing against and their skill level.

I’m most familiar with the 64 version and spent some time playing Melee. Never played Brawl, so I’m thinking of picking up Brawl for the kids. Random question: how playable is Brawl with the Wiimote held sideways like an NES controller? My kids aren’t fond of other Wii control schemes.

Another question: are online matches available on the 3DS version? I’ve been considering a 2DSxl...

Pretty bad and clunky.

Brawl is best played with a GameCube controller or Classic Controller if you don't have the first option, I'd definitely go GameCube controller if you got a 1st gen Wii (which have GameCube ports). Wiimote sideways is about the worst way to play Smash, it's really terrible.

And am not a GameCube controller fanboy, Smash 4 on Wii U works pretty well with the Wii U Gamepad or the Wii U Pro Controller. It's just that the Wiimote sideways feels really bad on Smash, Wiimote + Nunchuk is better, but not really good either. You can get used to it, like you can get used to bad controls in some games, but it'll never feel optimal.

EDIT: I got that wiki page showing the controls if you want an idea.

https://www.ssbwiki.com/Wii_Remote

And pictures that show the default control schemes.

Wii Remote only: https://www.ssbwiki.com/File:DefaultWiiRemote.jpg

You have to double tap on the D-Pad to perform a lot of actions, and even some basic actions like Smashing need you to press two buttons. Up-tilts are very hard to achieve, cause contrarily to other control schemes that allow you to customise and disable jumps on the up button (also called "Tap Jump"), you HAVE to jump using up, so instead of attacking upwards, you'll jump by accident. The lack of buttons makes it cumbersome to play, and the D-Pad is too stiff and small for fighting games such as these.

Wii Remote + Nunchuk: https://www.ssbwiki.com/images/f/fb/DefaultNunchuk.jpg

Looks better (and actually is), but now we have the issue of button placements, cause since 1 & 2 are all the way down the controller, instead you have to use the Nunchuk's triggers, which leaves you with one main button (A), and three triggers (C / Z / B). You jump with a trigger by default (C), and several key commands are on the D-Pad, which are difficult to access if you wanna follow up with a normal attack (A). So even if you optimise it, you'll have main actions stuck on triggers regardless. It's workable, but far from ideal.

Smash just works better with normal controllers:
https://www.ssbwiki.com/File:DefaultGameCube.jpg
https://www.ssbwiki.com/images/7/7f/DefaultClassic.jpg

3DS online matches are available.

Voor

Postby Voor » December 4th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Thanks for the detailed response. We’ll give it a go and likely confirm what you found.

Return to “Video Games General”