Can I use ps4 controller on the PC?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
imderfnz

Can I use ps4 controller on the PC?

Postby imderfnz » November 3rd, 2018, 8:01 pm

For the first resident evil game that came out for the PC in 1997? And what about games that came out for the Sega dreamcast that was also on the PC like crazy taxi or house of the dead 2 ? If not then what controller do I need to play retro games for the PC?

DrLitch

Re: Can I use ps4 controller on the PC?

Postby DrLitch » November 3rd, 2018, 9:10 pm

imderfnz wrote:For the first resident evil game that came out for the PC in 1997? And what about games that came out for the Sega dreamcast that was also on the PC like crazy taxi or house of the dead 2 ? If not then what controller do I need to play retro games for the PC?

Yes you can use the PS4 controller although I personally default with the Xbox Controller where most games are automatically mapped very sensibly to the Xbox buttons. You can always customize layouts if you choose to use a PS4 controller. You will have no trouble gaming on a PC with a PS4 controller - although you will need a dongle if you are planning to do wireless.

I will warn you though - most older PC games (even those ports from consoles at the time) are keyboard/mouse only and do not offer any support for a controller. In this case, you will need to install keyboard/mouse emulation software that maps an external controller button press to the keys employed by the game - i.e. software like joy2key. Once you do that and create a button layout that works, you run the software at the same time as the game. You will be set and will game flawlessly. Depending on where you get the games from, you may also need to install DosBox for Win95/Win98/XP games (although Steam/GOG will usually include this with the installation).

I do recommend purchasing from GOG/Steam (with a strong leaning towards GOG due to better support with Windows 10 - Steam is usually very reliable but can be hit or miss, GOG is better with this ).

SpiceWare

Re: Can I use ps4 controller on the PC?

Postby SpiceWare » November 3rd, 2018, 9:15 pm

Return to “Classic Gaming”