New Arcade Systems for $300

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: New Arcade Systems for $300

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 4th, 2018, 3:19 pm

I own five authentic arcade games, and there are a lot of things to consider before investing in one.

Pros:
- get to experience the real game in its original form
- the cabinets are built like tanks

Cons:
- to get one in good/refurbished condition you're probably talking $1500 and up (plus shipping).
- takes up quite a bit of space
- heavy and difficult to move

You only get one game, but tweaking the settings can be fun.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 4th, 2018, 7:42 pm

My main hesitation is due to not being able to add games to it. However, based on my experience with embedded systems, they'll have to include secure boot, SE linux, signed packages and turn off JTAG support to avoid folks hacking the system. All that takes time to implement. Even then it can be done but it will take longer .

Regardless, it looks like an awesome idea if not for me then for my daughter's playroom. :)

Tron

Postby Tron » August 8th, 2018, 10:53 pm

I agree with Retrostife. Seems like a compromise on what you really want.

Also if you can’t put quarters in it then it just wouldn’t feel right.

scotland

Postby scotland » November 9th, 2018, 9:35 pm

These mini arcade units are out in my local Walmart now. They had two of the machines, and as a bonus some game room decor. I picked up 3 different Pac Man tin repro signs for $5 a piece.

They were all boxed. Be nice to see a display unit.

mediamike

Postby mediamike » November 10th, 2018, 8:15 am

I did see a display model for the Galaga/Galaxian unit at my local WalMart.

The display was crisp, very authentic to the original. The joystick/buttons were good quality. Interestingly, the unit had a sound slider, allowing you to select audio at full, half and mute levels. The cabinet was impressive-- it a smaller, slimmer version of a full size arcade cabinet. I would think the booster block add-on we be a must though (Iif a bit expensive) . Most importantly though the cabinet had that "solid" feel, and did not seem like a cheap knockoff.

All in all it was impressive.

scotland

Postby scotland » November 10th, 2018, 10:29 am

mediamike wrote:I did see a display model for the Galaga/Galaxian unit at my local WalMart.

The display was crisp, very authentic to the original. The joystick/buttons were good quality. Interestingly, the unit had a sound slider, allowing you to select audio at full, half and mute levels. The cabinet was impressive-- it a smaller, slimmer version of a full size arcade cabinet. I would think the booster block add-on we be a must though (Iif a bit expensive) . Most importantly though the cabinet had that "solid" feel, and did not seem like a cheap knockoff.

All in all it was impressive.

Thanks the report.

I am pondering the Rampage cabinet as nice for friends coming over. I think its the only one with multiplayer controls.

A Pac-Man cabinet would sell really well.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 10th, 2018, 6:10 pm

I watched a YouTube review of the street fighter and asteroids one. The asteroids one is garbage with the rotating dial pretty much broken. It's not analog in any way and there's a clicking noise as if there's an actual button that gets pressed as you twist the dial.

The street fighter one faired much better and would be fun. Others have swapped out the controls as well for actual arcade quality. Considering the price it seems like a good trade off.

The Galaga unit will be $250 at Walmart on Black Friday. I'm not sure if the others will be at the same price. Centipede would be sweet!

scotland

Postby scotland » November 10th, 2018, 9:43 pm

Thanks for the Asteroids warning. I have an emotional attachment, and even a 3/4th version would be nice - but not if its a sloppy disappointing version. Sloppy controls are such a blemish on any gaming experience. Asteroids doesn't use a rotating dial but a rotate left and rotate right button - and its worse to be a sloppy dial at that. Its odd in that the cabinet looks like it has the right button layout.

Lunar Lander is another one I am sentimental about, but the arcade version has this robust throttle on the right side. This unit may use that knobby thing on the right which that video derided.

rohoGames

Postby rohoGames » November 11th, 2018, 1:06 am

I'm super hyped about these, although I'm probably not pulling the trigger on one. The thing for me is that I live in the Bay Area now- and therefore apartment living, so these are probably the only arcade machines I could ever have (I do have a Ms Pacman cocktail table that is a BEAST to transport but we manage each move, hah!).

I'd probably get the Street Fighter one, since that cab art is so awesome and iconic.

Mati

Postby Mati » November 23rd, 2018, 10:07 pm

I was looking at these today during our black Friday event at the Walmart store I work at. $250 for a cabinet with only two Pac Man games installed. To me, even without knowing the build quality, it seems like a pure cash grab on all levels. If they really cared about the end consumer, even a little bit, they'd release "add-on packs" on SD card not dissimilar from the Neo-Geo X.

Return to “Video Games General”