Red Dead Redemption II install process from hell

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Red Dead Redemption II install process from hell

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 4th, 2018, 7:33 pm

This morning I bought Red Dead Redemption II and I'm still waiting to play the thing! I got the Xbox One version and I should have known it was going to be trouble. I usually opt for the PS4 version but I played the first Red Dead on my Xbox 360, so I thought I'd resurrect my dormant Xbox One.

First my system needed a major system update of course. I don't leave my Xbox One on normally because I only play it about once a year. So downloading the system update took the entire afternoon. It doesn't help my Comcast internet is slow as balls. A few times the connection failed so I had to restart it. How come they came just include the update on the disc like the Switch does?

Then it comes time to install the games and of course there's no space. The thing is, RRD2 is 85GB (!) so I pretty much had to delete most of the games I had installed (I have an original launch system with a meager hard drive). Microsoft's user interface is so crummy. I would try to play the game (not realizing the install had failed) from the menu and it would either give me a vague error (something is wrong) or a string of 16 letters and numbers! As a software developer this interface turns my stomach.

Even when I thought I had clear the space, I was getting a flood of unwanted updates for the remaining games I had installed. You can't disable the updates so it's kind of like playing wack-a-mole trying to cancel them. Add insult to injury Microsoft has installed a bunch of unwanted app like "Cortana" and "Avatar Editor", and you can't even delete some of those.

The game comes with two discs, so right now the second one is installing. It's really hard to say if there's going to be enough room or I'm going to have another round of errors and restarting. This game had better be good! Hopefully I'll get to play it by next weekend!

ptdebate

Re: Red Dead Redemption II install process from hell

Postby ptdebate » November 5th, 2018, 11:39 am

You'll be pleased to know that the game is in fact quite good! It's a slow burn but the engrossing story hooks you right away.

Does Comcast have a monopoly in your area? My friends in Brooklyn struggle with the same thing. Luckily I live within a stone's throw of the AT&T headquarters, so with my blazing fast fiber internet the whole game downloaded and installed in about twenty minutes. Alas, we are moving soon so I may not have the same luxury forever.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » November 5th, 2018, 5:54 pm

One big advantage of console gaming was that it was "pick up and play" compared to PC gaming. Much less hassle. Now that is no longer true. A console is just a less expensive PC that you hook up to your TV. All of that installing, updates and DRM crap is there. No thanks.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » November 8th, 2018, 6:14 am

It gets kind of old that you keep complaining about install times. It's 2018, deal with it. This isn't the Atari or NES era any longer! If it bothers you that much DON"T BUY THE GAMES! By the way I will bet you will hate this game!

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » November 8th, 2018, 9:55 am

Take out your frustration on the annoying feminist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I45GP9kYSac

David

Postby David » November 8th, 2018, 9:00 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:Take out your frustration on the annoying feminist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I45GP9kYSac

Yeah! How dare they want to vote! The nerve...

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » November 9th, 2018, 11:19 am

It's worth the install times on physical copy.

Just buy the disc, I don't see the problem here.

Sut

Postby Sut » November 9th, 2018, 3:12 pm

David wrote:
Gentlegamer wrote:Take out your frustration on the annoying feminist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I45GP9kYSac

Yeah! How dare they want to vote! The nerve...

I think Rockstar did well with including the suffragettes.

A). It’s historically accurate so it’s right they are included in this setting.

B). It’s an open world ‘sandbox’ game so you need them to be just like an other non-story NPC’s otherwise it breaks the game world. They are so that works.

C). If you’re going to kill them you will lose honour, whereas you kill a KKK you will gain honour. Therefore giving consequence to actions.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 11th, 2018, 10:30 am

So I go to play the game the other night and it says the game has a 3GB update. With my internet, that's about two days wait, so I switch offline and try again. It worked! I play for an hour or so.

So today I try to pick up where I left off, but the game kicks me back to the "account picker" screen. And this screen won't let me pick an account that's offline, so I'm kind of screwed. I don't know if it's the game or the Xbox One operating system or both, but they are making it extremely hard for me to play this offline. I always regret buying games for the Xbox One and this is no exception. Tempted to take it back and get the PS4 edition.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 11th, 2018, 10:46 am

I'm okay. Apparently when I restarted the system it switched to a different profile. I have to play the game with my online account, but I can play it offline with that. Make sense?

Return to “Modern Gaming”