N64 still fun for company

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
scotland

N64 still fun for company

Postby scotland » November 10th, 2018, 9:56 pm

Had kids come over looking for XboxOne games and such. I brought out tbe N64 instead.

I understand all the issues the system had in its day, that its a negative watershed for Nintendo, and how primitive thos early polygons are to us now, but its still a champ at couch co-op games. Super Smash Bros was the big hit.

I know some people groan at 'back in the day' comments, but couch co-op is a form of social gaming that has diminished over time not because it was a failure, but for other reasons. Maybe someday there will be a strong resurgance of IRL social co-op gaming.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: N64 still fun for company

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 11th, 2018, 10:34 am

scotland - good move! Trying to play coop on some of the modern systems is such a pain. You need to register different accounts, and sometimes it prompts for passwords. Fortunately you can still play hassle-free multiplayer local on the Switch.

I actually played Smash Bros 64 with my nephew a few months back. He was amazed.

The only thing about N64 are those blurry textures - not very easy on the eyes! Did you play on an HDTV or CRT? I find N64 looks better on old TVs.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » November 11th, 2018, 11:21 am

I couldn't agree more!

VGC is right that the biggest issue is the appearance of the games, especially on larger, modern TVs. I've been trying to scope out an N64 HDMI mod to improve this issue. I've also considered a Framemeister but it's hard to justify that kind of expense for only one console.

Voor

Postby Voor » November 11th, 2018, 11:55 am

Most modern games have a learning curve that it’s just too hard. When you’re with your friends, you need to be able to play a new game decently within 5 minutes.

I was babysitting 4 girls yesterday ages 8-12, and they really enjoyed Mario Wii, Just Dance, and Kirby Dreamland.

scotland

Postby scotland » November 11th, 2018, 12:34 pm

The 2-4 person pickup and play, where even just button mashing is fun games like Smash and Ready 2 Rumble were quick and fun. People could rotate in and out (the game room has foosball and other things) made it an easy night with people eating, going to the firepit, etc.

My game room tv is a large DLP flatscreen. Its sort of semi-CRT in that its still half the depth of a CRT, and on a stand. I got it as good for sports back before LCD became the standard tech, about when the 5th generation was being replaced by the 6th.

I think the Wii and Gamecube might also shine in on these occassions.

GTS

Postby GTS » November 11th, 2018, 3:30 pm

scotland wrote:I know some people groan at 'back in the day' comments, but couch co-op is a form of social gaming that has diminished over time not because it was a failure, but for other reasons. Maybe someday there will be a strong resurgance of IRL social co-op gaming.

Diminished? There are more couch co-op games already available for the current generation than there are on older machines. Overcooked 1 and 2, Rayman Legends, GTA V, Borderlands, Diablo III, Resogun, New Machina, Sonic Mania, Shovel Knight, Super Bomberman R, Super Mario Odyssey, most Lego games, Nine Parchments, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Scribblenauts Showdown, Tricky Towers, Dead Nation, Disney Infinity 3.0, Micro Machines: World Series. I could go on and on.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » November 11th, 2018, 4:39 pm

Yeah I would agree with GTS that there are just as many, if not more options now than there were back then. If anything, the sheer mass of choices makes it more difficult to spot essential couch co-op experiences.

Overcooked is phenomenal!

Rev

Postby Rev » November 11th, 2018, 5:04 pm

I would actually agree with you (GT5 and ptdebate).

I originally was under the impression that the newest generation was limited on couch co-op but when I started playing games with my partner, we've been coming back to the PS4 over and over again. I think what really saves the day are all the indie titles which many have couch co-op. We've played a ton of Worms WMD, Diablo 3, Overcooked, Chariot, N++, Nex Machina, and Pang Adventures. The cool part is I still have a huge pool of other couch co-op games.

jon

Postby jon » November 11th, 2018, 7:35 pm

To me, co-op was about getting together and for that one purpose. Nowadays, it has declined. It was special in the 90's playing Goldeneye, MK64, etc. with friends because it was the 90's. It was before the internet and phones made everything a mess. I miss having the N64, Blockbuster, and video game magazines on my mind. Whenever I think about the N64's positives I realize it has virtues that a certain competitor didn't. Goldeneye was such an epic game.

Voor

Postby Voor » November 11th, 2018, 8:39 pm

Agreed. I played Goldeneye with siblings and different sets of friends. It was like the one universal game we could rally around with 4 people.

My favorite mode was always “licensed to kill” (one shot and you’re dead). Favorite areas were the bathroom on the facility level, that big open space in stacks level with the functioning doors, and that room filled with poles in the silo level.

Ahh. Memories.

Return to “Classic Gaming”