Favorite Rock Stars (Pre Grunge)

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
jon

Re: Favorite Rock Stars (Pre Grunge)

Postby jon » November 14th, 2018, 10:31 am

I've been listening to Buddy Holly and Elvis lately. They are both amazing. Buddy Holly wrote and performed all of his songs, which was incredible, especially considering he put out so much great music by the time he was 22. I need to get into more of these guys from the 50's. That's the first kind of music I fell in love with.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » November 14th, 2018, 1:25 pm

Ted Nugent (Gimme that mini gun) always good for a laugh
Sammy Hagar better pre Van Halen
Pat Travers up to about 1991.
Kiss. I just watched Phantom of the park again. Wow amazing..ly bad.. so funny.
Dennis De young before babe he rocked out. He still has a great voice.
Grace Slick White Rabbit is so great
Biff Byford of Saxon
Tony Martin of Black Sabbath (their best singer)
Gillan
Ray Gillan badlands
Gamma (Montrose)

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » November 14th, 2018, 6:31 pm

Steve Whiteman of Kix is probably the greatest rock frontman of all time.

Did the critic ever get a chance to see them back in the day? He is a Maryland dude after all.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 15th, 2018, 10:19 pm

Was never a big Kix fan, although I really liked that song Cold Shower. Yeah, they were huge around here.

When I was a teen I used to hang out at this guy-from-work's apartment (and drink of course) and he had people coming and going all the time. One night a bunch of guys come in and he's like "Dave - this is the drummer from KIX!" He was making a big deal out of it but it didn't really register with me at the time.

BTW my mom always thought their song "The Itch" was hilarious.

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » November 15th, 2018, 10:34 pm

Gameofthrones good to see another tony Martin / sabbath fan

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 15th, 2018, 10:39 pm

jon wrote:I've been listening to Buddy Holly and Elvis lately. They are both amazing. Buddy Holly wrote and performed all of his songs, which was incredible, especially considering he put out so much great music by the time he was 22. I need to get into more of these guys from the 50's. That's the first kind of music I fell in love with.

Elvis has a really deep catalog and tremendous voice. My personal favorite is Kentucky Rain.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » November 15th, 2018, 10:51 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Was never a big Kix fan, although I really liked that song Cold Shower. Yeah, they were huge around here.

When I was a teen I used to hang out at this guy-from-work's apartment (and drink of course) and he had people coming and going all the time. One night a bunch of guys come in and he's like "Dave - this is the drummer from KIX!" He was making a big deal out of it but it didn't really register with me at the time.

Jimmy is a great guy and a solid drummer. Pretty cool you ran into him.

SpaceGuitarist

Postby SpaceGuitarist » November 16th, 2018, 11:54 am

Neil Young (especially 1974 - 1977)
Bob Dylan (especially 1975 - 1976)
Lou Reed (with The VU and solo)
Captain Beefheart
Frank Zappa
Scott Walker (not really rock per se, but still a rock'n'roll kind of character)
John Lennon post-Beatles
Ozzy with Sabbath
Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones
Takashi Mizutani of Les Rallizes Denudes

had to remove a few that really don't fit with the classic "rock'n'roll star" character - Paul Simon, Tim Buckley, Joni Mitchell, John Cale, Jonathan Richman, Leonard Cohen, Ray Davies etc

jon

Postby jon » November 20th, 2018, 6:22 am

While I'm enjoying Elvis and Buddy Holly, boy do they talk about girls in every song. I can understand with Elvis as that's is schtick. Every one of Holly's songs is about love sweet love with his woman. I sometimes feel like it's getting me nauseous. A lot of my favorite frontmen like David Lee Roth and Jani Lane talk about girls in a macho way, Holly talks like he's in love with his special girl all the time. I would have loved if he talked about other subjects.

jon

Postby jon » October 11th, 2019, 10:49 am

Elvis is amazing. And like the VGC said, he has a huge catalog of songs. Been listening to him a lot lately. Memphis Tenn. is a good song.

Return to “Other Media”