Xbox without a disk drive?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
pacman000

Xbox without a disk drive?

Postby pacman000 » November 17th, 2018, 8:32 am

Voor

Re: Xbox without a disk drive?

Postby Voor » November 17th, 2018, 12:31 pm

It was a matter of time. Seems like I remember a rumor about the Switch being download only before the specs actually came out.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » November 17th, 2018, 6:24 pm

Awesome news. I think I might pre order one. :lol:

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 18th, 2018, 9:07 am

Kind of sobering to consider that going this route means that Microsoft and your Internet Service Provider (Comcast) will control all access and ownership over "your" game collection.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » November 18th, 2018, 12:06 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Kind of sobering to consider that going this route means that Microsoft and your Internet Service Provider (Comcast) will control all access and ownership over "your" game collection.

At the very minimum you can play the free Games with Gold given away each month, assuming you subscribe to the Xbox Live service. I wouldn't buy a console like this, but I'm sure it fits a niche for someone looking for an inexpensive games machine.

Rev

Postby Rev » November 18th, 2018, 1:16 pm

Honestly, this isn't surprising. When they're original E3 announcement blew up in their face (when the Xbox one was originally announced) I think Microsoft just put this on the back burner. Since both versions are available I think people will be more likely to accept this. Still, I think this just confirms that this is the last generation that all consoles will offer a physical version. Many gamers have already converted to download only model. Hopefully, Sony will still offer physical discs come the next Playstation. I think the rise of all these "limited run" style releases show that a good portion of gamers still want physical media for games.

GTS

Postby GTS » November 18th, 2018, 7:35 pm

I sense they are testing the waters in preparation for the next gen. The rumors are that they will have two versions for next gen, one being a download only, so they are probably wondering how many of each kind to manufacture.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 18th, 2018, 10:34 pm

Let's look at the pros and cons of the digital-only video game ecosystem of the possible future:

PROS
- smaller/cheaper console (no drive)
- buy games without leaving your couch!
- don't need to find game discs
- save room on your shelf
- ??

CONS
- no longer truly own your media
- cannot sell games
- cannot lend games
- cannot play offline
- have to use your own bandwidth which may be subject to data cap limits
- higher game prices
- buggier software (beta)
- no privacy - all online gaming activity monitored (and usage data sold to advertisers)
- forced to agree to EULAs/changing terms
- games can be pulled from your library for a variety of reasons
- ??

Seems to me this is a GREAT deal for the game industry. Not so much for the consumer!
Thoughts?

Voor

Postby Voor » November 19th, 2018, 8:47 pm

If you download a game to the console, why do you still have to be online all the time? And don’t you still “own” it?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 19th, 2018, 9:01 pm

Downloaded games have DRM copy protection. Since the game is just a file, there needs to be some kind of guard to prevent it from being copied all over the place. So the console needs to be online to check to make sure it's a legitimate copy.

But if you're ability to play a game relies on some unknown server somewhere, do you really own it? Or is it just a long-term rental?

Return to “Modern Gaming”