New thumbs up/down feature?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

New thumbs up/down feature?

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 21st, 2018, 4:49 pm

Hate to make more work for myself, but it occurred to me that a thumbs up and thumbs down feature might be interesting. It would let me know what reviews people liked and hated most. I know I have average reader grade already, but I think this feature might be a little different. Thoughts?

Voor

Re: New thumbs up/down feature?

Postby Voor » November 21st, 2018, 6:26 pm

I think your “review feedback “ section is the perfect format to get opinions on your reviews. A simple thumbs up/down without explanation is kind of pointless to me.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 21st, 2018, 7:09 pm

Yeah I know the thumbs are a little played out.
Maybe I should be a little more specific, letting them indicate a face/feeling (funny, happy, mad) based on the review?

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » November 22nd, 2018, 9:39 pm

Unfortunately that still comes across as vague to me the same way it does on Facebook. Does a frown mean you didn't like the game, the review, or something else? Maybe a thumbs up/down for the game, and a thumbs up/down for the review?

GTS

Postby GTS » November 22nd, 2018, 11:01 pm

The readers' letter grades are the best way to see if people agree with the review. It doesn't seem like a thumbs up or down would add any more information. What would be cool is if we could add comments onto the review, like seen on this old Star Trek review site:
http://www.kethinov.com/startrekepisodes.php?series=2&season=3

Rev

Postby Rev » November 22nd, 2018, 11:47 pm

I think this might be a bit hard to differentiate between the reader grades since a thumbs up or thumbs down might be seen as more or less the same thing. Would the thumbs up or thumbs down be for people agreeing with your review, liking it, disliking it, or something else? If it's for feedback on the review that you wrote perhaps there are other options that might give you the kind of data you're looking for?

Some options I could think of (definitely not a great list, I'm not that great at these things tbh):
-perhaps instead of allowing comments on a review you could provide a link at the bottom of each review that links to the threads that you always post for your reviews in?
-Maybe an agree/disagree button of some kind (something more obvious than thumbs up or thumbs down) that shows if people liked your review? Maybe a like/dislike button? If you think this would dirty up the pages you could always make the statistics for your eyes only.
-I dunno, some kind of survey that pops up occasionally for readers that people can choose to take about your site?
-

Mati

Postby Mati » November 23rd, 2018, 10:00 pm

I think the letter grade system works pretty well in and of itself. However, a way to give direct feedback for the review itself would also be appreciated. :)

scotland

Postby scotland » November 24th, 2018, 10:09 am

Mati wrote:I think the letter grade system works pretty well in and of itself. However, a way to give direct feedback for the review itself would also be appreciated. :)

The "Review Feedback" forum is pretty much dedicated to giving direct feedback to the review itself, as well as commenting about the game. Dave always starts a thread after he posts the review.

For reviews predating about 2006, there may not be a thread for that review, but no reason one couldn't be made.

The group has discussed having basically a comment section linked to the review, but at least at that time, it was not considered worthwhile. I was a voice against that, since I'd like to encourage people to join the community and make their comments here. Plus, we've all experienced comment sections that get toxic, so they'd likely have to be moderated and that would be an additional place to keep checking a queue.

I'd rather see new people join the community, and to have community members only have one place to go to see comments on the review or the game itself. Plus, its fun when someone digs out a 10+ year old review and debates it.

GTS

Postby GTS » November 24th, 2018, 12:04 pm

Scotland, I would be interested in reading people's comments right after reading the review, and not having to jump to the message board. I sometimes read through a whole section of reviews, and it would be nice to have all those comments within the reviews.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 24th, 2018, 1:04 pm

Can't you add an icon for the direct links to the forums? It's something that wouldn't have to be added retroactively due to all of the work involved but could be done easily enough for new reviews.

Return to “Video Games General”