PS2 HDMI Adapter

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

PS2 HDMI Adapter

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 5th, 2018, 12:28 pm

Sounds like this might be a useful item for some people. It lets you connect a PS2 to your TV via HDMI.

https://kotaku.com/this-adapter-is-the- ... 1830827244

The review is a little shallow. My biggest question is, does the control lag?
Most PS2 games ran on interlaced 480 mode. These games take a fraction of a second to render on an HD TV using normal RCA cables. That's because it needs to process two frames to produce one image.
I prefer to play those games on a CRT.

The games that run in progressive scan mode work pretty well on an HDTV with no substantial lag.
I have a feeling this adapter is just a pass thru that doesn't address the lag.

Cafeman

Re: PS2 HDMI Adapter

Postby Cafeman » December 5th, 2018, 12:44 pm

I'd like to read more thoughts on this Pound Ps2 cable as well. I use component into my TV for PS2 and that's fine , but I know some HDTV sets don't have component connections anymore.

I will add that I bought the Dreamcast to HDMI cable from Pound, but returned it because it only had sound in the left channel. Cheap build quality perhaps?

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » December 5th, 2018, 2:40 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Sounds like this might be a useful item for some people. It lets you connect a PS2 to your TV via HDMI.

https://kotaku.com/this-adapter-is-the- ... 1830827244

The review is a little shallow. My biggest question is, does the control lag?
Most PS2 games ran on interlaced 480 mode. These games take a fraction of a second to render on an HD TV using normal RCA cables. That's because it needs to process two frames to produce one image.
I prefer to play those games on a CRT.

The games that run in progressive scan mode work pretty well on an HDTV with no substantial lag.
I have a feeling this adapter is just a pass thru that doesn't address the lag.

From the author:

"The Pound isn’t fancy, and there’s room for improvement, but damn if it isn’t easy. Just a couple of cables plugged in and boom, Pound’s PlayStation 2 HD Link delivers a sharp HDMI signal perfect for capture, streaming or just playing old favorites, upscaled with no noticeable lag. That’s exactly what I needed."

Herschie

Postby Herschie » December 5th, 2018, 5:20 pm

I wonder how this is compared to the component cables I just bought?

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » December 5th, 2018, 10:46 pm

Herschie wrote:I wonder how this is compared to the component cables I just bought?

Have you had a chance to try the component cables? How big of an improvement is it? I am very interesting in doing some kind of upgrade my self.

zetax

Postby zetax » December 8th, 2018, 12:52 pm

It looks similar to these type of PS2 HDMI adapters (scroll down this link a bit.)

https://videogamecritic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=134793&t=14601&start=10

If this Pound one plays nice with PS1 games, it would be superior to the cheap one I got.

Rev

Postby Rev » December 8th, 2018, 5:24 pm

So the way I understand these cables is that they don't offer any sort of upscaling and are more like a good, clean component cable. These types of cables aren't a replacement for an HDMI mod but should offer a better visual than composite and are likely to have minimal lag.

I have something similar for my NGC and there is no noticeable lag and looks a little better than component cables.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » December 8th, 2018, 8:29 pm

Rev wrote:So the way I understand these cables is that they don't offer any sort of upscaling and are more like a good, clean component cable. These types of cables aren't a replacement for an HDMI mod but should offer a better visual than composite and are likely to have minimal lag.

I have something similar for my NGC and there is no noticeable lag and looks a little better than component cables.

Can you please tell me what you use for your Gamecube (with a link if possible)? I have been playing GC games through my Wii (because I have component cables for it) but I recently got the Gameboy Player for my GC working.

Rev

Postby Rev » December 8th, 2018, 11:54 pm

velcrozombie wrote:
Rev wrote:So the way I understand these cables is that they don't offer any sort of upscaling and are more like a good, clean component cable. These types of cables aren't a replacement for an HDMI mod but should offer a better visual than composite and are likely to have minimal lag.

Can you please tell me what you use for your Gamecube (with a link if possible)? I have been playing GC games through my Wii (because I have component cables for it) but I recently got the Gameboy Player for my GC working.

I use the EON Gamecube HDMI Adapter. You can usually find them on eBay and other sites. I'm not sure if there is an official site for it... Before you buy I would highly recommend reading some reviews. I read this one and agree 100%:

https://hackinformer.com/2018/02/22/rev ... -gamecube/

It doesn't work magic but I'm very happy with it. For a plug and play hdmi option, it's very solid.

Return to “Classic Gaming”