Horizon: Zero Dawn

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Mati

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Postby Mati » December 9th, 2018, 9:50 pm

I searched the forum for an already existing thread, so if I missed it please combine threads and apologies for missing it.

I received Horizon: Zero Dawn (HZD) as a gift last Christmas and it immediately blew me away with its snow-covered environments, character art, and thick atmosphere. But as I usually do due to my backlog, I shelved it to continue playing Alien Isolation and my classic titles up in the game room (we keep the HDMI-based consoles in the living room, and the old, "analog" consoles and games in the upstairs game room where the CRT sits). Since the cold weather hit, with all the white stuff blowing around, I got the itch to drag it back out last week and I'm glad I did. HZD is truly one of the greats of this generation and IMO is the definition of a sleeper hit. Make no mistake, this game is modern in every way with a semi-complicated control scheme, a movie-like story line, and much more, but hits home the age old immersion that games have offered since their inception decades ago.

I highly recommend anyone reading this to seek it out at your earliest convenience. Just make sure to play it in the Wintertime for the fullest effect. It isn't all snow covered mountains, however. There are ruins, temperate forests, and many other climates to explore, but it's the way the game offers a Winter playground that makes it so memorable, to me at least. You won't be disappointed (I'm looking at you, VGC :P )

Gentlegamer

Re: Horizon: Zero Dawn

Postby Gentlegamer » December 10th, 2018, 1:13 pm

If you like winter, wait til you get to the DLC.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 10th, 2018, 1:20 pm

Glad to hear it's that good. I just picked this one up on sale during Black Friday. It's pretty cheap and easy to find right now - about $10 to $15. I'm looking forward to starting it sometime within the next couple months maybe. Hopefully it doesn't fall too far behind in my backlog. Sounds like wintertime is the best time to play it.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » December 12th, 2018, 10:22 pm

This game was almost a miss for me. It had pacing issues in the beginning and I came within a whisker of ditching it. I persevered and once I broke out of the Sacred Land, it became one of my all time favorites. Fantastic open world, tough but fair enemies, and a very compelling story. The Frozen Wild's DLC is equally masterful. Probably my number 1 open world action RPG, only Skyrim, Breath of the Wild and Fallout 4 have clocked more hours. Conversely I do not think any of these games are as good as HZD.

Mati

Postby Mati » December 13th, 2018, 10:00 pm

DrLitch wrote:This game was almost a miss for me. It had pacing issues in the beginning and I came within a whisker of ditching it. I persevered and once I broke out of the Sacred Land, it became one of my all time favorites. Fantastic open world, tough but fair enemies, and a very compelling story. The Frozen Wild's DLC is equally masterful. Probably my number 1 open world action RPG, only Skyrim, Breath of the Wild and Fallout 4 have clocked more hours. Conversely I do not think any of these games are as good as HZD.

I have never played a game quite like HZD. The passion that went into this game is evident, and stands tall next to other passion projects from this, and recent generations, like Alien Isolation and Arkham City. It's rare that a new IP with this scope gets released these days and fully deserves a sequel. Hopefully unlike Alien Isolation we'll actually get one.

Return to “Now Playing”