Best Game Introduction / Narrative

General and high profile video game topics.
DrLitch

Best Game Introduction / Narrative

Postby DrLitch » December 14th, 2018, 8:19 pm

Had this discussion with a friend recently. What is the best introduction to a Video Game in your opinion? It need not be a game that fulfilled the promise laid out in the introductory scenes.

For me, the game with best introduction is probably the original Fallout game released in 1997. Although the graphics are dated the narration, music and general feeling still gives me goosebumps to this day. Link to video posted below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geLiEiAiQJA

ActRaiser

Re: Best Game Introduction / Narrative

Postby ActRaiser » December 14th, 2018, 10:58 pm

Easily, the first level in Prey. After a pretty brief fight in a bar, the jukebox kicks on and you're starting to float up to the lights of an alien ship. Don't Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult plays on the jukebox. Without a doubt the coolest intro to any game I've ever played. Heck, that was just on the demo. Best intro ever.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 15th, 2018, 10:10 am

Great topic. I have a few candidates:

Technically impressive for the time: Star Fox (SNES)

Best Music: Soul Blade (PS1)

Most Dramatic: Bioshock (Xbox 360)

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » December 15th, 2018, 10:19 am

The intro to Out Of This World (SNES) really impressed me back in the day.

Voor

Postby Voor » December 15th, 2018, 11:34 am

I always think of Ninja Gaiden (NES) when I think of good intros.

Regarding beginnings of the actual game, I really like the first 10 minutes of Super Metroid, when you’re roaming around on a seemingly isolated rainy planet. You get the first item, and the planet wakes up.

rahimtx

Postby rahimtx » December 15th, 2018, 3:32 pm

I would have to say my favorite intro to a game would be Killzone 2 handsdown. I was blown away by it back in the day. So much I would watch it repeatedly and show it off to my friends. It still holds up pretty good even to this day. Heres a link below if you would like to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mPYW9F00uA

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » December 15th, 2018, 3:54 pm

For an FPS, I'd say the original Half Life - no question! The way that game started out, with you 'going to work' on a tram and going down into the belly of the Black Mesa Research facility while that eerie voice droned on over the loudspeaker just did a fantastic job of setting the mood for the game to come! Bioshock had a great into as well, but I'd put Half Life above even that one.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » December 16th, 2018, 5:12 am

The best narrative in a game for me was 'I chose - rapture' in BioShock 1. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVR2gZANx10) I find it amazing and it sucks you right into the game.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » December 17th, 2018, 11:23 am

Flashback Quest for Identity on Genesis. The "CD ROM game in a cartridge" they called it. Interesting story and mystery and moody music in the intro sequence.

Return to “Video Games General”