Video Game Losers

General and high profile video game topics.
Voor

Video Game Losers

Postby Voor » December 15th, 2018, 11:40 am

I’m obviously a fan of video games, but I feel I’ve done of good job of keeping my gaming (and other hobbies) in check compared to my other obligations and responsibilities. But two examples I’ve stumbled onto recently of people of my age (30s).

—friend quit job, does gig work a couple of time a week for a quarter of the pay, and spends the rest of his time playing Madden. It’s all he talks about, telling me stats about his make believe players and injuries and other nonsense. Meanwhile, his wife works like a normal adult.

—another friend, works and tends to his job and family well, but needs some financial support from parents to pay for some of his needs, while owning all of the major systems and games (I’m guessing worth $1k...not sure though). When I was in this situation, all I had was a GBA and 3 games.

Herschie

Re: Video Game Losers

Postby Herschie » December 15th, 2018, 3:48 pm

It's easy to get carried away because these games are so darn fun. Earlier this year I was addicted to Call of Duty. Good post though, always gotta keep in mind to not let your hobby dictate your life.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » December 15th, 2018, 5:08 pm

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Old saying "But by the grace of God there go I". I view gaming within the genre of entertainment, you pick it up, you put it down. Busy schedule = less gaming and vice versa. Family > Career >> Gaming.

I will say I read an article a while ago and the number of thirty somethings still living with their parents is high. I used to think Stepbrothers (Will Ferrell) was a rather amusing parody / comedy, I guess it is also real life nowadays.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 15th, 2018, 6:16 pm

This is kind of a disturbing thread, but also important.

Video games are a lot of fun, but they are a frivolous pastime. I enjoy playing games to relax AFTER a long day of work. If they are becoming the center of your life you need to seriously reevaluate. And if you're tight on money, games should be the lowest priority. You can only play one game at a time anyway right?

I think this is another reason why I feel uneasy about the concept of "e-sports". These young people are dedicating the best years of their life to a games that are here one year and gone the rest. Even if they make it big, what are the long term prospects? It would be better to learn a trade that can carry you through life.

Food for thought!

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » December 17th, 2018, 10:36 am

My mum passed away I could not talk to anyone. I had Fallout 3 to play disappearing into that post apocalyptic world kept me in this world.
I lost my job after 23 years and my partner of 7 years dumped me by text. Also I was assaulted in work and they used it against me. I was in the house with no one to talk. No partner to hug me and say it is going to be al right. Then I found Gears of War 2 Horde mode. I could be part of something, a team of people fighting off a foe to save mankind.

Now life has intervened again. Carrying on. Doing a degree. Chatting to women but nothing serious. I have another job it is the pits but it is better that nothing. I do play games but they are a part of my life not all of it.

For me this thread should be called Video game Winners.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » December 17th, 2018, 10:40 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:This is kind of a disturbing thread, but also important.

I think this is another reason why I feel uneasy about the concept of "e-sports". These young people are dedicating the best years of their life to a games that are here one year and gone the rest. Even if they make it big, what are the long term prospects? It would be better to learn a trade that can carry you through life.

Food for thought!

E sports is just the pitz. I really do not understand why they bother. It is different when you go on you tube to watch the pictures of arcade games that you used to play. I mean Segas star jacker. I would still like to play that. Or Galaxy force 2. I mean I would love to sit in that rotating seat again the play the game.

Then I go play them on emulation.

Voor

Postby Voor » December 17th, 2018, 12:25 pm

GameOfThrones wrote:My mum passed away I could not talk to anyone. I had Fallout 3 to play disappearing into that post apocalyptic world kept me in this world.
I lost my job after 23 years and my partner of 7 years dumped me by text. Also I was assaulted in work and they used it against me. I was in the house with no one to talk. No partner to hug me and say it is going to be al right. Then I found Gears of War 2 Horde mode. I could be part of something, a team of people fighting off a foe to save mankind.

Now life has intervened again. Carrying on. Doing a degree. Chatting to women but nothing serious. I have another job it is the pits but it is better that nothing. I do play games but they are a part of my life not all of it.

I’d say your situation was different in that you had things happen TO you. The situations I described above were self inflicted and they are content with their current circumstance.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » December 17th, 2018, 3:17 pm

Voor wrote:
GameOfThrones wrote:My mum passed away I could not talk to anyone. I had Fallout 3 to play disappearing into that post apocalyptic world kept me in this world.

I’d say your situation was different in that you had things happen TO you. The situations I described above were self inflicted and they are content with their current circumstance.

The quitting to play Madden really does sound odd. Plus he has a wife. The other chap does sound a bit like giving up. What they need to remember is being in your 30s is easier that being in your 50s. Get out there and have fun.

Though every one on here is a video game winner. Thanks for posting. Thought provoking indeed.

Return to “Video Games General”