PGA Tour Golf III (Sega Genesis)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Breaker

PGA Tour Golf III (Sega Genesis)

Postby Breaker » December 13th, 2018, 10:06 pm

This one is an all-time favorite for me, and I go back to it often. I have a buddy that played this game nearly as much as I, and we used to battle every once in a while. Skins matches were nail-biters for us, and if we saddled up for a tournament, it was likely to be a #1 & #2 finish, with only a one or two stroke difference over 72 holes. Either of us could win, which made it that much more fun.

It's not perfect, as everything is flat, but the greens are completely fair in that you can actually read the grid, and the physics are logical. The computer golfers will put up a stiff challenge in a tournament until you reach about 13 or 14 under. They seem to plateau there. Match play against the CPU is tough - they don't always birdie, but they almost never bogey, so staying with them can be challenging.

With 8 courses there is decent variety and replay value. The pacing is pretty quick, so a round can be knocked out in about 20-25 minutes.

I know it's not for everyone, but there's something about video game golf that is almost zen-like for me. Easily the best golf game on the Genesis.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: PGA Tour Golf III (Sega Genesis)

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 15th, 2018, 6:22 pm

I agree that golf on the Genesis was probably the apex of the sport (not unlike hockey).

During the next generation (PS1/Saturn/N64) you had to deal with polygon graphics, load times, and "creative" control schemes.

jon

Postby jon » December 15th, 2018, 7:28 pm

I played a ton of this series in the early to mid 90's and they were amazing games. EA Sports initially was a great company and could do no wrong. Somewhere around 1996 it all went downhill.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » December 20th, 2018, 1:57 pm

Great golf game! I agree that it's probably the pinnacle on the Genesis. I feel like the only PGA game which surpassed it was PGA Tour Golf on the 3DO. That was my favorite golf game until the excellent Tiger Woods Golf games started coming out (I think in the PS2 era).

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » December 20th, 2018, 5:07 pm

I still love the PGA games for Genesis played them on Sega Channel back in the day :)

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » December 20th, 2018, 7:10 pm

JustLikeHeaven wrote:Great golf game! I agree that it's probably the pinnacle on the Genesis. I feel like the only PGA game which surpassed it was PGA Tour Golf on the 3DO. That was my favorite golf game until the excellent Tiger Woods Golf games started coming out (I think in the PS2 era).

I recently noticed that the Critic panned Tiger Woods 2003 on the PS2 (D, I think). I never played the pS2 version, but I REALLY enjoyed the Xbox version of that game.

djc

Postby djc » December 21st, 2018, 12:38 am

I agree with PGA Tour on the 3DO - fantastic version.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » December 21st, 2018, 2:48 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I agree that golf on the Genesis was probably the apex of the sport (not unlike hockey).

I'd love to see more golf games on the Genesis get reviewed, as I suspect there are a few more gems to be found in there. I know someone who played through the Japanese-exclusive game Waialae no Kiseki recently and really liked it.

Return to “Now Playing”