Bad game names

General and high profile video game topics.
goldenband

Re: Bad game names

Postby goldenband » December 20th, 2018, 2:21 pm

It's always seemed straightforward to me: "Gaia" like the Greek goddess of the Earth, plus "res" pronounced either like the first part of "rest" or (more naturally) the first syllable of "resident".

Maybe they were trying for a "Gaia" + "Ares" hybrid, to yield some sort of "Earth War" image? But the accented syllables don't work out:

GUY-uh
AIR-eez

No way to put that together without putting the accent on the wrong syllable of one of the component words.

Anyway, it's a silly title, but it's got nothing on Veigues Tactical Gladiator, Yo' Bro, Totally Rad, or Wardner.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » December 20th, 2018, 5:41 pm

goldenband wrote:It's always seemed straightforward to me: "Gaia" like the Greek goddess of the Earth, plus "res" pronounced either like the first part of "rest" or (more naturally) the first syllable of "resident".

Maybe they were trying for a "Gaia" + "Ares" hybrid, to yield some sort of "Earth War" image? But the accented syllables don't work out:

GUY-uh
AIR-eez

No way to put that together without putting the accent on the wrong syllable of one of the component words.

Anyway, it's a silly title, but it's got nothing on Veigues Tactical Gladiator, Yo' Bro, Totally Rad, or Wardner.

I actually remember renting Wardner back in the day and having a friend tell me that he doesn't want to play a game called Wardner, lol. The game has always kind of stuck with me for that reason.

I assumed that Totally Rad was a skateboarding game or some other "extreme sports" game before I learned that it's a platformer.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » December 21st, 2018, 11:52 am

Golf Magazine: 36 Great Holes Starring Fred Couples (32X)

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » December 21st, 2018, 12:08 pm

I actually remember Wardner from the Arcade, ties with Shinobi as the easiest non-coin muncher ever, beat it without a loss of life. I believe that that it was translated to the Genny although I never sought it out.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » December 21st, 2018, 1:34 pm

Awesome Possum... Kicks Dr. Machino's Butt

The rhyme & early 90's "rad" attitude gets me.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » December 21st, 2018, 2:03 pm

DrLitch wrote:I actually remember Wardner from the Arcade, ties with Shinobi as the easiest non-coin muncher ever, beat it without a loss of life. I believe that that it was translated to the Genny although I never sought it out.

Shinobi isn't easy at all. Maybe easy if you've played the heck out of it.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » December 21st, 2018, 2:50 pm

DrLitch wrote:I actually remember Wardner from the Arcade, ties with Shinobi as the easiest non-coin muncher ever, beat it without a loss of life. I believe that that it was translated to the Genny although I never sought it out.

Yeah, I played it on the Genesis. I've never played the arcade version, though I'm told it's an excellent conversion. Easy game but, in its way, a very well-made one.

GTS

Postby GTS » December 21st, 2018, 6:00 pm

Lightening Force takes the cake because they obviously meant to say "Lightning." It was supposed to play off "Thunder" since it is Thunder Force 4. They should have just called it Thunder Force 4. I guess they didn't want the sequel count to be too high.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » December 22nd, 2018, 7:20 am

Donkey Kong.... the game is about a monkey, not a donkey.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 24th, 2018, 4:08 pm

GTS wrote:Lightening Force takes the cake because they obviously meant to say "Lightning." It was supposed to play off "Thunder" since it is Thunder Force 4. They should have just called it Thunder Force 4. I guess they didn't want the sequel count to be too high.

Thanks for the insight. I had never realized how ludicrous that name was!

Return to “Video Games General”